1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

But is it really worth it? / Arriving into Samui (Via BKK)/ Depart NST

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vaping Newbies' started by JimboPerth, Mar 11, 2018.

1. JimboPerth
    Curious

JimboPerth Thread Starter New Member

Hey Forum,

Just want to say, what a great place and very informative. As always, I gather situation in Thailand is constantly changing, but being a new member I have a few questions;

1) I will visit Thailand for 8 days next month - I guess my question is, is the stress/anxiety really worth it? I'd hate to smoke cigarettes there, however If I'm "overthinking" things I'm happy to take my vape. It's not a mod, but an all-in-one kit (JACVapor S22). Due to it's shape and size, I'm hoping I can wrap a USB cable round it and make it look like a USB charger, what do you think? (I can then put the tank in my main check in bag), when going through x-ray customs and Bangkok & Samui Airport(s).

2) I will be heading to Samui and Bangkok, with also a stop at nakhon si thammarat airport. Does anyone have any specific experience vaping in Samui?

Any additional tips to make getting my vape into thailand un-noticed/ easier would be great.

I won't be looking for any juice whilst there, but mainly looking at ways I can mitigate me being caught etc.

James

2. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

Difficult one, for only 8 days...

IF the mod was not too expensive, I'd take the risk... Disassemble the tank, into pieces, and spread it in different
    areas of your suitcase..

No experience of Samui, I assume juice, could be available at a market, hopefully a fellow member can confirm by PM

Good luck...

JimboPerth likes this.
  3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I’d put the mod in your pocket coming through Customs (inbound). Don’t think you’ll have trouble going through Security (outbound) if it’s in your carry-on with the rest of your gear. I take an eGo Aio through Swampy all the time. ;)

Kandy likes this.
  4. JimboPerth
    Curious

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think, on the whole, I would be better off with a MOD where I can break down the mod and put the battery's in my carry on, and the rest in my check in?

Would I need to somehow quickly get my mod out of my suitcase before leaving the airport in Samui (the security scanners?).

And generally, are there any issues with mods being confiscated through checked in luggage or is it just from carry on/on person?

James

5. JimboPerth
    Curious

Hello Folks,

Again, awesome forum.

I've seen plenty of posts RE Phuket, so I'm pretty glad I'm not going there and I've planned for somewhere else, Samui.

I'll be flying from Vietnam to Samui via BKK, so I assume all formalities will be completed in BKK airport during my transfer, and that I will arrive into Samui as a "Domestic" passenger?

I am planning on splitting up my mod into small pieces across my check-in luggage, and putting the single battery I have in my carry on. I'll be using 1 mod, 1 tank and 1 battery, with probably 50-100ml of juice. As above, everything will be scattered around my check-in, with just the battery accompanying me on my person/hand carry.

1) Are there any "exit" security scanners in Samui? I"ve checked but can't find the info I need. Would I be wise to put my mod etc in my pocket once I've got my bag off the belt?

2) NST is a much smaller, less popular airport - But does anyone there have experience?

3) With the mod broken down, and put into my check in luggage, has anyone heard of customs swiping mods from check-in bags?

I appreciate some of these topics have been covered, but I mainly see posts RE Phuket...

James

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Correct...but...will you be spending a night in BKK or going directly to Samui? It's my understanding that for 'direct' transfers' (no layover), you clear Customs in Samui.
    More at this link...
    Proposed Thai Laws for Vaping in Thailand
    Never heard of any...remember, TH Customs is not looking specifically for vape gear, they're looking for undeclared high-value merchandise on which they can collect duty. However, if your luggage will be clearing TH Customs in Samui, they probably do have an x-ray machine...suggest you plastic wrap your luggage at the airport in Vietnam.
    We've never had any reports about this airport...but if you're traveling domestic & split your gear like you're planning, you should be fine. Remember to put your battery in a safe, plastic case.
    You only have to deal with Customs once on the way into Thailand (airport in BKK or USM, see above). After that, it's only the security scanners. If you have the opportunity, plastic wrap your luggage to keep light-fingered baggage handlers at bay.

Good luck & enjoy your stay here - - be very discrete if you decide to vape in public.
    :vaping: :vaping:

Rowdy likes this.
  8. JimboPerth
    Curious

Wonderful, thank you for your great reply - I really do appreciate your response.

According to the airline, when I contacted them, I go through immigration arrival in Bangkok, so when I land in Samui I'm technically a domestic passenger, but yes you're right, I'll go through customs in Samui on arrival, just immigration in Bangkok - but I'll ensure when I do collect my bag from the belt, my mod is placed into my pocket etc. I will be storing liquid in a discrete bottle that looks like something else, and that will be stored in my checked luggage.

Wholly, my main concern is getting caught and I only plan to vape around the resort where I'm staying, specifically off my enclosed balcony - I'll test the waters in Samui once I'm there, but I'm already coming to accept that I'll need to have a hybrid experience in Thailand, Vape in private as much as I can, and when in public or busy areas, I'll have to cope with conventional cigarettes - Even if i manage to find some vanilla flavored Stinkies I'll be happy (I found Castor Sympthony 5 last time, I hope they still sell as that is a nice smoke compared to the normal ciggies).

I think i've just about covered everything?

9. watteau

watteau New Member

Hello new poster here, looking for vape info and products for Koh Samui, you are right about customs in USM, if you are on an international flight connecting from BKK then you do everything on Samui

10. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Siam Diesel likes this.
  11. DonToni
    Energetic

DonToni Member

A friendly welcome to the forum from my side too...

To be honest, I really had the same concerns like you about vaping in TH a few months ago. I spent my x-mas & new years vacation there. I am not a TH newbie in general but a newbie as a vaper.
    I was very discrete in public. But vaping in bars and clubs wasn't a problem at all. But discrete means: Don't show your gear around and don't chase clouds like you are the one and only fog machine on the spot. And during rides with a motorbike, stow and hide your gear properly. The chance is high to get stopped by the police and they want to see your documents. You'll get in a bad situation when you open the "trunk" and the first thing they see is your mod and juice!

Good luck and enjoy your stay!

Siam Diesel likes this.