1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Help Vaping indoor VS Smoke detector ?

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by pierdon, Apr 23, 2016.

1. pierdon
    Relaxed

pierdon Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I finally landed in Chiang Mai :)

My trip was very successful as my baggage wasn't controlled at all, so i have plenty of juices in my fridge. That's the great news.

On the other hand, i moved from my old room to a new and better one. It took time and energy (note for self: don't plan to move out and in when in Jet lag + 30°C difference from where you come from) but it's done. Obviously, as nothing can ever be perfect, there is a small problem (which i hope you guys will help me solve):

[​IMG]

There is a very nice and operational smoke detector in the living room and another one in the bedroom. I still can securely vape in the toilets and on the balcony but that's a small consolation.

The reason i didn't directly ask the owner (thai) is that i would like to avoid him telling me expressly that this is a non-smoking room (smoking and vaping is basically the same thing for "common" people). As nothing was mentioned, i give myself the benefit of the doubt and allow myself to vape inside (ofc).

I've never lived somewhere with such devices and would like to ask you some questions:

-How sensitive are those little demons ?
    -What happens when it turns on ? Does it ring inside the room ? The whole building ?
    -Is it possible to turn it off ? I can google that but would you consider it in my shoes ?
    -How would you handle the situation ?

Your help is appreciated.

Cheers :)

Scuba Vaper and Rowdy like this.
  2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Assuming it's a standard smoke detector, it will make a high pitched beeping sound for several seconds until the smoke (in this case vapor) has cleared.
    Unless of course it's linked to a sprinkler system and the fire station :D

3. pierdon
    Relaxed

Answering you from my balcony... Thanks mate ! ^^

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  4. Submaniac
    Fiendish

Submaniac Ayatolah of Rock 'N Rolla

I would just test it. Some smoke detectors would be set off by vapor some would not. I've vaped in a plane lavatory without the detector going off. I've been in a hotel room and set it off. Luck of the draw what detector you have. I'd just stand under it and blow a little vapor to see if it goes off. If it goes off just say you were cooking some food and set it off. Common everyday for someone to set off smoke alarms

5. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

So far I haven't found one that I can set off. Have had some vape meets in hotel rooms with 5 or more people. You couldn't see across the room but the smoke detectors never went off. Same with airplane bathrooms. I know some have set off both, so I guess it is dependent on the make and model of the smoke detector.

Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Submaniac
    Fiendish

Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Ben B
    Amused

Ben B Well-Known Member

There's about 6 of us who vape at our desks in the office at work. Haven't set anything off yet.

Trial and error. Have a toaster on in the kitchen ready as an excuse, just in case you do set it off. :)

8. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Scuba Vaper, Konvict, peter-k and 2 others like this.
  9. pierdon
    Relaxed

So it seems like I'm out of luck on this one.
    I blew a cloud (not even massive) in the direction of the detector and the small lights on the side (which turn red for a millisecond every 20 seconds) turned plain red for about 10 seconds.
    No sound though...
    Anyway, i didn't dare to blow a second cloud just to see if the alarm would start; I had my answer -> Vapor sets this detector off.
    This is obviously very upsetting as my work station is about 1.5 meter away from the detector. I really won't enjoy my stay in this apartment if i have to be careful every single time i take a puff.

Here is my GF's solid plan: Wrap the thing in a plastic bag, seal it with scotch -> problem solved.

What do you guys think about this option ?

I'm not desperate yet so any other solution/idea is welcome.

6an9er and Scuba Vaper like this.
  10. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

Try opening it and see if it is battery operated or mains...if battery...remove it...if mains go with plan a) :very good:

11. pierdon
    Relaxed

I think i found the model : http://www.up-t.com/album/download/50157841bbc64d6e14d64778a4b3168b.pdf
    But nothing about how to open it. There is not visible screw and i'm not sure how those things work and don't really want to mess with it...
    (there's 3 apparent "steps" and I have no idea which one I should even try to remove...)
    I think I'll opt for the plastic bag :(

Scuba Vaper and Rowdy like this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Just vape until it goes off (which may be never). Keep the toaster handy as the "reason"...just in case ;)

Sent from my P3 Ti...

Scuba Vaper, Konvict, peter-k and 3 others like this.
  13. Submaniac
    Fiendish

From looking at the detector model, it's photoelectric so yeah this would be the type that is capable of picking up vapor. It looks like the battery door might be on the side. the type with a swing out door to insert batteries. You could try pulling it out that way. But I think the plastic bag idea would also work. Keep in mind that if there is actually a fire inside your apartment, you may have a problem if you use the plastic bag though.

Scuba Vaper and pierdon like this.
  14. Rowdy
    Devilish

Rowdy Old broken down Vaper

Try and take the battery out if that fails Just shoot the bloody thing, :computer_2:that should fix it.

Scuba Vaper and Neilly like this.
  15. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

How big is the room? Can you just place a fan so the vapour would be blown to the other direction?

Scuba Vaper likes this.