1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Air travel with E-cigs. Anything i should know?

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by nattiboy, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

It may look surprising, but to prevent a tank leaking in the plane, it must be filled to the maximum with liquid! Indeed, it is not the liquid itself the problem (liquids are not compressible), it is the empty space which contains air of course... By limiting this air volume, you will limit the expansion factor within your tank.
    Concerning Singapore... I will be able to share my own experience soon, planning to flight from Singapore to Thailand in middle of April and not willing to let my e-cig and juices behind me!

2. Banjo

Banjo Member

I can vouch for the pressure thing. I couldn't bear to part with some cans of Heineken flying back from Krabi last year and ..er ..lets just say my old lady was far from happy when her favourite clothes got dyed the wrong colour.

Can't comment on juice.

3. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

I can tell you first hand that you dont have to be stealthy on the plane - in the bathroom at least.

Based on 4 flights on 2 carriers you can exhale a full plume directly onto the smoke detector as long as you like. You also don't have to put your face anywhere near the toilet, which a big plus.

As far as everything being a horrible leaking mess, yes, that was the case for me. Here is what I learned so far (this applies to bottles that have already been opened. Can't say for sealed bottles because they never stay sealed long enough):

tape around the neck of bottle(s), put bottle(s) in zip lock bag = bag full of nearly empty bottles covered in juice. Horror show.

Tested best solution: stretchable film used for packing and shipping. Wrap and stretch the film over each bottle end to end. Or if you are a hoarder like me, group a block of bottles together to save time ). Focus on putting pressure down from both ends toward one another to strengthen the seal between the cap and the bottle. Then toss each of these in a zip lock for good measure. The advantage of the film is it really seals the bottle - if you wrap it tight enough. Tape around the neck is just covering gaps and the adhesive on the bottle wont stand up to the loose juice. Also notice it wont mangle your labels like tape will when its time to unpack.

NOTE: If you think you wrapped enough, wrap it another few times. it is that bad. at least in my experience. 50/50 blends.

Also worth mentioning: You can vape pretty much the entire time all you want right in your seat - did that even with a *child* sitting right next to me. ! gasp !

Now, I am sure this is bad for you but...
    --take an average size pull and also draw air through your nose at the same time
    --release the firing button a good second or 2 before you stop drawing in vapor
    --continue your inhale again while also drawing air through the nose. This should be just enough so not run out of breath and keep any vape from escaping out of your snout.
    --Now here's the thing: don't exhale.​

Simple. No vapor = you are not vaping. Here are a few stop watch tests:

held vape for
    5 seconds = visible
    10 seconds = barely visible
    15 seconds = practically invisible

play around with length of draw vs what is left of your lung capacity and factor the lights will be out and most others sleeping...

If anyone asks, tell them in a solemn voice that is for acute Bromhidrosis and that you absolutely must use it. Either they will be put off by not knowing what that is and assume the worst, :chinrub: or absolutely encourage you to keep doing it as much as possible. :pleasure:

4. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Another solution: I have 100% PG juice just for such occasions... No vapor!

5. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

I've been a airport firefighter and fire inspector since 2001 (USMC, MOS7051), so I've seen plenty of aircraft detectors go off. There are different types of smoke detectors in different airplanes, and the problem is you have no idea what kind of detector it is without removing it from the ceiling. Some of them are very much sensitive enough to go off from an e-cig if they are in proper working order, particularly the photoelectric ones. The ionization type generally won't go off from vapor. With photoelectric smoke detectors, older ones can actually be more sensitive when they get older and dirtier, since dirt can settle on the beam detector. Ionization type detectors still may go off with some really concentrated vapor, but are less likely to go off with casual vapor than a photoelectric one. Here is a test video.

The real issue is the carrier rules. Flight attendants are usually pretty chill on this side of the world, but complete *******s in the States. They've made me stop chewing tobacco on an airplane before, and lord knows how that hurts anyone else. They seem to enjoy being dicks, and will happily bar you from your connecting flight if you break any of their insane rules or Air Nazi orders. As of right now, the only carrier that doesn't ban vaping on an airplane is RyanAir, so if you fly with them you are set. It's your choice if you want to take the chance of getting put on a no-fly list (I stealth vape on airplanes myself) but just because you blew into 4 detectors doesn't mean the rest of them won't go off. Not a very good idea in my opinion, and it isn't something I would tell other people to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  6. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

I stealth vaped on the plane back from the UK in the toilets, only a few times. I was very careful not to let any vapour out what so ever.
    :vaping:

7. yourauntbob
    Happy

yourauntbob hair club for men member

on a long flight i wait until they turn off all the lights and blow the vapor under my blanket. very little gets out and nobody could even notice. on shorter flights i normally just vape in the airport bathrooms before and after the flights, mid range flights i find myself using the bathroom more than anyone else :grin:

8. -V-
    Cool

A mate of mine does the same...

9. BadWingman

BadWingman Newbie

Done that on a recent long haul bus trip sitting right behind the driver and attendant with no partition in between. Not a problem. This is how I would vape on a plane. However remote the chance of setting off the toilet smoke detector is not a chance I would take.

10. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

I've vaped in toilets on-board with Emirates & KLM - no issues at all. - Stealth vaped, by lifting my t-shirt up,but dont use a heavy VG liquid.

One thing, I would advise, (is some e-liquid carry a skull & crossbones logo. some airlines would classify this as poison.,and are prohibited on board.) - I would remove that logo.

11. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

To your points, you are absolutely correct. That is a poor sample group for a controlled test. I do forget sometimes that average people do not think critically. It is possible that someone may just purposefully bellow copious amounts of vapor directly onto or into a smoke detector located in the lavatory of aircraft completely on the say so of a random internet crackpot. Therefore, I withdraw my post as an offering of good advice. Take it more as first hand reporting from someone who despite better judgment would at times rather create a scene then let someone tell them what they can or cannot put in their own mouth. Or as a suggestion not to put your face in a toilet... if you can help it.

Seriously though, no smokeless tobacco either? I do not take it you would be the type to also be sporting an obscenely large and sloppy spit cup... sounds like you had a run in with a genuine a--hole. Do you think Judge Judy
    would have had a problem with fine Swedish Snus? How about nicotine gum? That is just a bit much!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  12. nattiboy

nattiboy Thread Starter New Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Not arsed about vaping, just about carrying my gear. My big tanks will be empty,and in my case, my mod will be battrieless and in my case.
    My juice bottles, this is the question? Mostly MBV. Wrapped up in my case is what i'm thinking. I'm not thinking about sealing the bottles, just putting them in a zip lock bag.
    The batteries for the mod will be in my carry on, run down, along with other batteries i need to take back.
    I will carry and Ego battery, and a small tank with only a little juice in bottle to put in while i wait for the plane.
    Will the bottles leak in my case?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the input guys. Not arsed about vaping, just about carrying my gear. My big tanks will be empty,and in my case, my mod will be battrieless and in my case.
    My juice bottles, this is the question? Mostly MBV. Wrapped up in my case is what i'm thinking. I'm not thinking about sealing the bottles, just putting them in a zip lock bag.
    The batteries for the mod will be in my carry on, run down, along with other battiers i need to take back.
    I will carry and Ego battery, and a small take with only a little juice in bottle to put in while i wait for the plane.
    Will the bottles leak in my case?

13. ryanmacl

That was nothing compared to the time the TSA agent said I couldn't take my spit bottle on the plane (already past security, this was at the gate) unless I took a drink of it to prove it wasn't poison.

14. ryanmacl

As I said before, all my GLV bottles leaked but my MBV bottles made it fine from here to the States and back. That's not to say that yours will fare any better or worse. Try to keep them upright in whatever bag you are carrying. A ziplock bag would be good, but a bunch of cellophane wrapped tightly would be better. You could always go crazy and hot glue the bottle as well. :very good:

You might want to look into an Innokin U-CAN as well, I think one of the vendors here has some. They are metal and screw tight, so they would probably fare much better if you aren't taking much. I haven't tried mine on a flight yet.

15. -V-
    Cool

The GLV bottles alway leak for me...

I used clear tape and taped up the tops.....like when I sent my GLV bottles to you...