1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Proposed Thai Laws for Vaping in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by glenn, Jun 11, 2016.

1. winwin

winwin Birder on the run

Carry around seems risky. Better keep another set at work place.

jpr, Rowdy, Konvict and 1 other person like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Doubt it is...this only just happened and she hasn't been to court (today being a public holiday).

Edit: Bad link removed

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Rowdy, SooKee, Konvict and 1 other person like this.
  3. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

Link is a dead end for me. Leads to a 'no permission' page. I'm guessing the 5 years comes from a report of her being 'liable for'. Hope she isn't that unlucky for such a heineous offence, glad to see the focus on such damaging issues while other far more serious problems continue unhampered by interference.

4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Sorry, mate...bad link.

Rowdy, Konvict and SooKee like this.
  5. santaclaus

santaclaus Well-Known Member

I am just messaging with a foreigner who was arrested this month in Pattaya for vaping. He had to pay THB 100k for bail and is not allowed to leave the country until court hearing. Absolutely disgusting. Starting to think that should look for other countries to live in soon..

Rowdy, lordofthedread, SooKee and 2 others like this.
  6. Rowdy
    Devilish

Rowdy Old broken down Vaper

I very much doubt about the 5 year jail sentence
    as we know things can & do get lost in translation here.
    I just hope the video gets out world wide to show people
    how crazy the laws are here.

Rowdy

jpr, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

This isn't the first time this has happened...somewhere back in this thread, there's a report on a Swiss guy from Stattqualm (of Squape fame) who had the same thing happen to him in BKK. Haven't heard the outcome yet...

But seriously, Bt 100k for bail...geez, murder & yah bah possession attract less bail. This country is complètement bouleversé as the French like to say! She's clearly NOT an importer (being in possession of 1 setup), for which the law they're using is intended. There is (still) nothing on the books that makes mere possession of vape gear a crime! :(

Edit: Happy reading...recent incidents w/dramatically different outcomes...
    Proposed Thai Laws
    Proposed Thai Laws

SooKee, Konvict and Rowdy like this.
  8. RiVape

RiVape Well-Known Member

Let's hope this incident will open discission about these ridiculous laws that they interpret which ever way they want on the day. There's going to be a live discussion tonight on one of the channels regarding vaping and the laws. The good fight might have just begun because of this.

Sent from my SMART 4G MAX 5.5 using Tapatalk

Jazz2017, Rowdy, jpr and 3 others like this.
  9. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Hi, its me again...

Just been informed about another case of an arrested vaper for vaping on the street, this time its a vaper from another country. No more details were given only a message to the already known Stattqualm, because he was involved with the former case (of this Swiss Guy). I'm allowed to quote the message he received:

"Hello Sir, my name is XXXX I came to Thailand 2nd of December and police arrested me on December 3rd because I used e-cigarette on the street. I stayed in jail for 16 hours and the next morning they sent me to court. My father paid 100.000 thb bail for me now I'm free but next court will be January 22, but my return ticket is Dec. 22! I saw this community (Swiss Vapers) and maybe you can give me some advice or help. Thank you."

Chris Lusser from Stattqualm is trying to help him by finding the right people to contact, although he has nothing to do with this guy.

Rowdy, jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Hi @Sue - was hoping you’d drop by. Has the Stattqualm guy’s case been resolved yet?

Sent from my P3 Ti...

Rowdy and Konvict like this.
  11. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so sorry, thought I'd updated here as well, there was a final update on October 23rd: Meanwhile the Swiss Guy could return home (CH) after court sentenced a fine payment.

Siam Diesel, Konvict and jpr like this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

How much was the fine?

Sent from my P3 Ti...

Rowdy and Konvict like this.
  13. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the fined vaper did not tell us the sum. So nobody knows. But he was not banned from re-entering the country, not even temporarely. But he doesn't intend to travel to Thailand as long as such a anti-vaping law exists, I suppose ;)

jpr, Rowdy, Siam Diesel and 1 other person like this.
  14. PEL2112

PEL2112 Member

New member here, when I was leaving Thailand in September I went to the Tourist Police Office at the Airport and asked the question, "what is the situation regarding vaping equipment?". I and was told that I could bring one unit only into the country, dismantled, and only enough juice for personal use. If I took two units into the country I would be arrested.

I'm heading back on Friday, so I asked my (Thai) partner there to ring the airport police to double check, and earlier today she came back with the following messages - in her words:

Electronic cigarettes are now considered very illegal in Thailand.

Do not import, do not sell, do not possess

It's tax evasion, wrong import, no taxes, it's illegal in Thailand

When I said it is just for my personal use, in private, her reply was:

Now in Thailand is considered illegal

Apparently a woman was arrested for vaping in public and now there is a blanket ban. Vaping equipment is not taxed. They are BIG on tax. If you want to take something into Thailand you have to pay tax to the tune of three times the value of whatever it is you are taking in. How quickly things change.

Siam Diesel, Rowdy and Konvict like this.
  15. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

I'm not sure the situation has changed at all since September since this level of grief has been going on for ages. More likely I suspect the Tourist Police were completely clueless (which would not be surprising at all).

Siam Diesel likes this.