1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

FAA warns about e-cigs and fire risks...

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by David in Bangkok, Jan 26, 2015.

1. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Didn't see another thread about this, but this can hurt us a lot if airlines start banning them...

FAA warns U.S. airlines about e-cigarette risk - CBS News

FAA warns U.S. airlines about e-cigarette risk
    • Email
    • e-cigarettesparked a fire in a piece of luggage in a baggage area. Four months prior to that at Boston's Logan Airport, an e-cigarette in a passenger's bag caught fire in the cargo hold of a plane -- forcing an evacuation.

[​IMG]
      PlayVIDEO
      Hidden carcinogen found in e-cigarettes, study finds

Those incidents and others have prompted the FAA to issue an official warning to U.S. carriers. The agency says the popular tobacco alternative "can pose a fire hazard in the cargo compartment of planes."
      Fires can spread when lithium ion batteries ignite.The FAA has already cracked down on those but e-cigarettes are powered by the same technology: Lithium cells.

The concern is that e-cigarettes could inadvertently turn on in checked luggage, igniting a fire that could be catastrophic in mid-flight.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

My brother sent me the same link about the FAA warning...wonder if it was a mechanical or regulated mod (or an eGo batt). Best to practice battery safety when traveling with your gear...take the batteries out and put them in a safe box...

There are already a couple of threads running on the NEJM study...it's seriously flawed!
    More Outrageous Lies | Page 2 | Thailand Vapers
    Vape over 5V ? Hello Cancer Risk ?

3. mash
    Nerdy

mash zZz

My guess is that it must have the atomizer on the device, just by undoing the atomizer its alrdy alot safer...

4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

5. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

I saw it in Danish television yesterday, and it said there that e-cigarettes should be in your hand luggage instead of in the checked one. If so, you can still bring it. That said, I would also suggest to take the barreries out of the gear before transportation, and if that is not possible, remove the atomizer from the nod or ego. Maybe someone forgot to lock the battery with the 5 or 3 click ?

Siam Diesel likes this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

That's what I was wondering, too. But most of the regulated mods will only fire for 10-16 seconds...perhaps it was a mechanical, which would fire until the battery died...

7. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

For a real cheap one with no need for a screwdriver there's this one

$6.59 1A 2*18650 Single USB Output Mobile Power Pack Battery Charger w/ LED Illumination - black at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

8. flem
    Relaxed

flem Vaping for 5 years

Funny we never hear about rechargable shavers catching fire. My shaver have a litium battery in it, so it should be just as dangerous. They dont write how many millions af the e cigs there are transported on airplanes daily. This is again a move from the big tobacco gansters and there followers to make the e cig look bad!!!

9. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Maybe it was a Cloupor Mini :wink:

10. flem
    Relaxed

flem Vaping for 5 years

Yea, but not mine, because that is still running like a champ. I use every day, so maybe i am one of the lucky ones!

11. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

Is a mech or regulated mod whiteout battery considered an e-cig?

As SD mentioned, it's better to carry mods in the checked luggage whiteout battery's and mods with build in battery's in the checked luggage.For Clouper deceives it's best to store them in fire proved carry bags anyhow.

You are right one that one and thinking about other devices as well which are not powered off or able to remove battery's in the checked luggages.

David in Bangkok and Siam Diesel like this.
  12. flem
    Relaxed

flem Vaping for 5 years

Just another scaremongering againt e cigs..

13. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Because your shaver isn't attached to a heating element.

In this case no. It's a legitimate concern. Note the last line of the article:
    "The FAA is not banning e-cigs on planes outright. It just wants passengers to carry them onto the plane so that they can be monitored".
    :good idea:

haybilly likes this.
  14. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

again, is a mod whiteout a battery concerned as an e-cigarette?

15. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Has this been made a rule already? :rolling laugh: