1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Exceeded Volt threshold?

Discussion in 'Vaping Technical Issues' started by etlava, Dec 30, 2015.

1. etlava
    Psychedelic

etlava Thread Starter Well-Known Member

A couple of noob questions and THANK YOU in advance for all the answers.

My LG HE4 fully charged is 4.20 Volt.

Box MOD: IPV D2
    My current setting is :
    16.5W, 1.10 Ohm, 4.26V

Q:
    1) Does that means I'm not allowed to exceed 4.20 V with my ipv d2?
    2) If I continue exceeding 4.20V, will it shorten the battery life or even worst, explode?

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-P7300B using Tapatalk

farangmick and Dieter. like this.
  2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Battery life is expected to be shorter the harder the batteries work. I'm guessing the current draw is only 4A, the HE4 is good for 20(+).

You could fire that build at 8-10v with no issues battery wise. Not that I'm suggesting you do:D

3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

The IPV D2 is a regulated mod. It takes the power from your battery and regulates it from 7-75 watts. With the HE4, you'll have no problems with your current build/settings.

farangmick, Scuba Vaper and etlava like this.
  4. etlava
    Psychedelic

etlava Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot my friends.. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That means battery's Max Volt is not the main concern here, as long as I'm using a reputable, authentic and recommended IMR18650? And of course, finding the sweet spot is more important, right?

Cheers.

5. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

@etlava , from what I understand li ion batteries normal operating voltages are around 3.5v to 4.2v ... In unregulated mod, that means the voltage delivered to the coil is the same as the battery's present voltage when you hit "fire" button.

Li ion batteries also have discharge amp ratings, often good quality vaping batteries like the VTC4 VTC5 from Sony have like 30A, I think LGs are similar ... In unregulated mod this equates to maximum 4.2v multiplied by 30A, which equals 126W (watts = volts x amps), as an approximated maximum wattage.

Regulated mods have additional circuit "trickery", which often can manipulate voltage and wattage, hence variable wattage (VW) and variable voltage (VV). So the components inside the mod, allow the mod to potentially send higher volts than the battery is rated at, to the coil.

Regulated mods can also send higher wattage than the battery or batteries are rated at, they do this by "pulsing" at a higher wattage, so not a continuous "burn". Or at least that's my current understanding.

This is my current simplified understanding of mods, happy to be corrected if there's something I missed.

Measuring voltage can vary from one measuring device to another. So it's possible it might read 4.2v in your charger, and 4.26v in your mod. Also :

"high capacity Li-ion may go to 4.30V/cell and higher." - batteryuniversity.com ... So 4.26v is almost certainly within safe operating voltages for your LGs.

Li ion batteries if of good quality and looked after properly, and used in good quality/non faulty equipment, well, safety concerns are minimal. Most people these days have phone, tablet and laptop, or similar, all containing li ion batteries and NEVER experience ANY problems.

So, no I don't think max volts is a concern as you've presented it ... And finding a sweet spot, well, that's a continual search in life isn't it?

etlava likes this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Correct...with a quality, high drain (~20 amp) battery, as long as you stay within the specs of your regulated mod, you'll be fine.

Yes, but resistance must also be considered as well...to achieve 126 watts, the coil resistance would have to be 0.14 ohms (and this leaves no safety margin whatsoever). A higher resistance coil results in a lower wattage reading. This only applies to non-regulated mods.
    My favorite converter: Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Actually, regulated mods generally use buck-boost circuitry to provide an output voltage that is more/less than the input voltage...there is no pulsing involved.

The Li-Ion batteries we use for vaping are rated at a maximum of 4.2 volts...overcharging them by even a small amount is not recommended, decreases their cycle life and can be very dangerous. Using a quality battery charger minimizes this issue to the greatest extent as long as the correct settings are chosen.

Always vape safely!!
    :vaping: :vaping:

7. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Pulsing is just a way to deliver power accurately in an easier manner. A constant power delivery without pulsing is harder to acheive but a much better way for vaping in my opinion as it smooths everything out.Most of the cheaper mods will use pulsing. Having said that I am sure there is a good number of high end mods that do this as well. lol

etlava, Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. Scuba Vaper

Hence - "approximated maximum voltage", and not "safe operating wattage".

And yes I'm still getting to grips myself with resistances of coils, in conjunction with the mods, so thanks for the link, helpful.

Have several buck and boost modules sat on my desk right now, and just built some LM7809 9v regulated circuits myself, so yes, but wasn't sure would help OPs understanding in my going into underlying tech :)

I've seen at least one video so far of a 200w mod, where the coil is clearly pulsing at higher wattages, presumably because batts couldn't supply the full 200w or perhaps a safety feature. I don't know enough about the specifics, so will take that with a pinch of salt, for now, as pulsing would be one way to stick "200w" on a mod that's in reality not able to deliver that much power.

Update - @Longtail1 posted whilst I was writing this, seems to concur with what I said already about pulsing on cheaper mods. You get what you pay for !

Not sure that OPs equipment is accurate enough to measure down to 0.06v above 4.2v conclusively, and charger takes care of charging to safe operating voltage. And TBH, not used his equipment so I don't know whether it's a regulated 4.26v or if that's the reading off the battery, that he's talking about, assuming a regulated 4.26v. In either case I can't see an overcharge issue, which has been verified with professional (certified and calibrated) equipment, in a more ideal test situation. I can't even offer to do it for him, as I don't have access to those facilities.

The spec sheet for those LGs says 4.2v, and since he indicated this is what the charger is reading, I can't see any indication of overcharge issue.

And yes totally, I've invested a bit of time and money in selecting good quality chargers, my XTAR should arrive soon, very grateful for your help with that :)

Happy new year !

etlava and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I understood your initial 'pulsing' comment to mean that the battery is pulsed at a high output to achieve the higher wattages...I'm not sure that's the case in regulated mods (but I may be completely wrong).

Edit: I've just re-read Ryan's PWM posts...the battery is pulsed on/off quickly but I believe the input voltage remains steady...the circuitry in the mod does the power regulation (at least, that's my story & I'm sticking to it ;)).

Certainly, on cheaper mods, Pulse Wave Modulation (PWM) is also used to regulate the voltage. Here are a couple of posts from @ryanmacl on this subject.

- Some new kit | Thailand Vapers
    - A mod for the room. ... | Page 2 | Thailand Vapers

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    etlava and Scuba Vaper like this.
  10. Scuba Vaper

Mostly was trying to keep it simple and not make into a blog post, thought would help the OP. I haven't studied the circuits in Mods in detail, so just putting together what I assume is going on. Obviously there's multiple electronic wizardry, the Chinese are clever :)

There's different types of pulsing in electronics, and I thought easier to understand than yet more acronyms in vaping, having a hard time myself remembering them all, along with the million and one brands and types ...

"Altering" circuits (for VV,VW, VT) will be things like voltage regulators, buck/boost converters, mosfets (transistors) and almost certainly PWM, amongst other things. Not that I'm electronics expert, just a persistent amateur.

I suspect pulsing is quite common with higher power mods, as converter and regulator circuits seem to get bulky over about 2 or 3 amps, and 200w at 3.7v is a whopping 54AMPs !

Sometimes I do, but I don't always get things right - this is how we learn, right ?

etlava and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I don't know about other 200 watt mods (I never get over 20 watts), but a mod with a DNA200 chip needs a Li-Po cell (or 3 x 18650 batts) to reach 200 watts. 2 x 18650 only achieves 133 watts...bet the battery life is pretty short, too! ;)

Yep, I'm the same...we're right at the limit of my electrical knowledge presently. :D

etlava and Scuba Vaper like this.
  12. Scuba Vaper

PS, just read the links, and yes exactly this will be the type of thing going on, pulsing is a way to regulate electricity, don't know if it's inferior or superior way of doing it, could be superior - after all I think "superior" power supplies use high frequency switching to reduce size and bulk of circuit, and increase efficiency :)

Siam Diesel likes this.
  13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

This is one of the things P. Busardo tests for in his mod reviews...the lower the pulse frequency, the more noticeable the 'rattlesnake' effect. This isn't talked about much anymore but the Yihi SX Mini M used PWM in temp control/limiting mode, which was a bit surprising.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  14. Scuba Vaper

You and me both dude, but at least we've educated ourselves a little, enough to be able to find out what we don't know ...

I dunno yet whether I'll bother with 200w mod. I think vaping is probably set to go and stay sub ohm, but this can be done with < 50-60w ... And yes why waste battery power and liquid on big clouds ... Although, ask me again in a year, maybe I'll be saying a different story !

Siam Diesel likes this.
  15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

One word...Kabuki. :)
    Most flavorful tank you'll ever vape...and all at a whopping 10 watts!

Happy New Year!!

Scuba Vaper likes this.