1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Advice on how to quit smoking using vape

Discussion in 'The Thailand Quit Smoking Discussion' started by Fastoche, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Fastoche

Fastoche Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I just read this great article (unfortunately in French).
    A tobacologist gives advices on how to quit smoking with the help of vaping.
    I will start to translate it.
    If any French speaker wanna help me, most welcome.
    Arrêter de fumer avec la vape : les conseils d’un tabacologue | Vaping Post

It is a really great article about tobacco addiction, nicotine, risk reduction and vaping.

I wished they had clever scientists like this in Thailand, in many other countries and in the World Health Organisation. I have read and heard so many bullshit on this issue that I'm getting sick of all this "fake news". Even heard a thai doctor in a party telling me that vaping was bad because of nicotine. Where the hell and how did she get her doctor degree ?
    I didn't trust thai doctors at that time and it didn't help to improve my opinion (sorry for that but it comes from a few personal experiences).
    It would be good to hear this kind of people instead of seeing so many BS and biased so called scientific studies in the mass media. My mum died from a lung cancer, my stepmother (new wife of my dad) also died from a lung cancer. Both of them were in their early 60th and smoked all their life. My brothers and I lost our mums before our 40th. I had friends who also died from lung cancer recently in their late 40th because they smoked.
    SMOKING DOES KILL AND NOW BULLSHIT, STUPIDITY AND BIG MONEY also KILLS. After all it is not only about risking to go to jail it is about PEOPLE'S HEALTH and LIFE. We should never forget that.
    This being written.

Translation of some parts (in progress)

Cigarette is a ferrari, vape is a very slow car.

About nicotine
    : it is not a health problem, what is dangerous in smoking is the COMBUSTION. Even if you smoked a lettuce it would be harmful to your health.
    The problem in smoking is the SMOKE
    NOT THE NICOTINE
    NICOTINE DOESN'T GIVE CANCER.
    But nicotine is addictive.
    About addiction. Nicotine doesn't stay for a long time in your body, its half life in pharmacology is 2 hours. It means that after a night of sleep you will no longer have any nicotine in your body. This explains why, when you wake up you need to smoke (and sometimes quite a lot).
    To be continued...
    **Updated**
    Hi,

I have been working on the translation of Arrêter de fumer avec la vape : les conseils d’un tabacologue | Vaping Post

[text like this is from me, not the translation]

QUIT SMOKING USING VAPE : TIPS FORM A TOBACCOLOGIST (tobacco expert)

At the Vapexpo in Paris in 2017, Jacques Le Houezec explained the basics knowledge to properly advise a smoker who wants to try to quit smoking cigarettes using vape. Back on this conference, made for vape shop owner, but also for all those who want to help a loved one.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT NICOTINE

This is something that we have already mastered for many years. For most heavy smokers, a single patch or gum of nicotine alone will not work. It is necessary to associate different products to obtain a dose of nicotine which is sufficient. With vape it is the same thing except that some limitations were introduced by the European regulation.

One of the strongest constraint, is not only the limitation of the volume of e-liquid bottles, but the maximum dosage of nicotine allowed. In the state of mind of the professionals of the vaping industry the dosage of nicotine per bottle is not taken sufficiently into account. They offer systems which are not adapted to smokers who want to quit [beginners]. Liquid manufacturers for example do not dare to go up to 18, 19 or 20 mg per milliliter. Unfortunately e-liquids on the market are too often under-dosed.

About nicotine : The main problem with smoking tobacco is NOT NICOTINE IT IS THE COMBUSTION. I'm used to say, and it makes people laugh, that even if you smoked a lettuce it would be harmful to your health.
    The problem with smoking is not tobacco, neither nicotine, it is SMOKE.
    Smoke
    is a very complex system which contains more than 7000 chemicals and 70 of them can cause cancer.

MISLEADING INFORMATION ABOUT CIGARETTES

[He is talking about cigarettes, I'm not translating everything, I just summarize] :
    - light and mild cigarettes are not less dangerous but more dangerous than normal cigarettes because a smoker knows how to dose his nicotine. In any kind of cigarettes (mild or normal) he will be able to get the same level of nicotine. He will just take stronger puff with a mild/light one [and inhale more smoke]. A smoker can get from 1 to 3 mg from any kind of cigarettes.
    - rolled cigarettes are also dangerous for health because 1 rolled cigarette is equal to 2 normal cigarettes in term of smoke/toxicity.

A SMOKER KNOWS HOW TO DOSE HIS NICOTINE
    [Nicotine is not dangerous but it creates dependence or addiction because it is a psychoactive substance]

The main problem with smoking tobacco is that nicotine stays in your body for a short time. Its half life in pharmacology is 2 hours. It means that after a night of sleep you will no longer have any nicotine in your body. This explains why, when you wake up you need to smoke [and sometimes quite a lot]. Every morning you are starting again from zero. Smoking tobacco is very addictive because someone who smokes 20 cigarettes a day will take 200 times dose of nicotine. He will get 200 stimulation of pleasure, 200 rewards, 200 small release of dopamine per day.

WHY IS CIGARETTE SO ADDICTIVE ?

Cigarette is very addictive, because of the speed of arrival of nicotine in intrapulmonary. Nicotine itself is not really addictive. There is a difference between the nicotine absorbed with a cigarette, and there we can talk about addiction. An addiction is a habit (dependence) that has harmful consequences on the health of an individual. Which is the case with smoking.

With nicotine substitutes and with vape, nicotine comes much more slowly in the body, and does not cause strong peaks of nicotine in the brain. It can be addictive but as well as one can be addicted to coffee, or his chocolate square, his cell phone, but we are in the dependence in the habit, we are no more into addiction (because it is not really harmful to health).

[This part is important but difficult to translate because he is using 2 words in French, dépendance and addiction which are both translated in English with the word addiction. When he used the word dépendance I translated it with the English words habit and dependence]

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF NICOTINE

This is something very important for smokers to understand because it has been 30 years in France [and elsewhere], that in all anti-tobacco campaigns, they blame nicotine, they do not blame the smoke, they blame the nicotine.

Smokers are afraid of nicotine, everyone is afraid of nicotine. Nicotine is not more dangerous than caffeine, it's a stimulant that's all. And there is no particular danger in consuming nicotine at the doses that a smoker or vaper uses.

There is no urgency either to lower the level of nicotine. When we see in store, that they tell smokers to start with a liquid of 6mg of nicotine, while they smoked a pack of cigarettes a day, it is unsuitable, it simply cannot work.

THE PLEASURE IS THE KEY

To be continued…

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  2. kevin bangkok

kevin bangkok Well-Known Member

Cannot find the article I read posted on here, a chap on there concurred with
    all your findings,and submitted a statement that no one in the world has died
    from Nicotine poisoning, any ingesting of nicotine creates vomiting, the human
    body rejects it instantly,hence no deaths, I think the link was posted by DARTH
    it was an amazing read, can"t believe I have misplaced it.......lol
    one of the posters on here used 24mgm in his vape.........

Siam Diesel and Fastoche like this.
  3. Fastoche

Fastoche Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin,
    I'm just trying to translate an article from French to English. I haven't finished yet and it's not an easy task as I'm not a professional translator neither a native enEngli speaker. Have done some minor mistakes in the translation, but I could not correct them as I can't edit my original message, but only update it with new content.
    This article is about a tobacco addiction expert explaining what is tobacco addiction and how vape can help smokers to quit.
    What he wants to highlight is that smoke is what is really dangerous about cigarette because of the chemicals made by the combustion.
    He also wants to highlight that nicotine is not as dangerous as what has been said and that smokers who switch to vaping should use high level of nicotine and should not hurry to reduce it because at the dosage inhaled by a heavy smoker or a vaper it is not dangerous.
    But we should never forget that it is a question of dosage.
    As many things in this world dosage is the key word. Too much paracetamol can destroy your lever and kill you. Too much nicotine is also going to be harmful, but not at the dosage, even if they are high, used by smokers and vapers.
    We should still be careful when using nicotine to make e-juice and never forget that at very high dose it can be harmful to health.
    Next part will be about the new trends in vaping (subohm's gears, low level of nicotine, large air hole...) which he said, and I agree, might be enjoyable for vapers but are not at all suitable for smokers who wants to use vape to quit smoking. This people need tight air holes, resistance over an ohm and high level of nicotine.
    Unfortunately
    , this kind of gears are more difficult to find and many shop owners don't have enough knowledge to give the right advices to smokers who wants to use vape to quit.
    But pleasure is the key so...
    ...Vape on and enjoy.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

It was...I'll try to find it.

I think this is it, @kevin bangkok. ;)

nic question

jpr, kevin bangkok and Fastoche like this.
  5. kevin bangkok

kevin bangkok Well-Known Member

You are a star,thank you so much for finding said article, lost in a debate (in a bar) because
    I could not find it...........very grateful

jpr, Fastoche and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

Coming to this late but cannot agree with this more. Interestingly, the concept of nicotine not being that harmful nor addictive has not caught on enough. More vapers ought to research this themselves and work towards readjusting common misconceptions. Its really common sense if you can just get past the years of mental conditioning that has scapegoated nicotine.

Now that most of us have kicked cigarettes but still consume nicotine, think about it... do you suffer the same withdrawal symptoms when going without vape for any period of time compared to a similar amount of time without a cigarette when you smoked?

Why not? Now you are on a more pure form of nicotine. Shouldn’t the discomfort be even more intense? Or maybe you start to see the point. The proof is evidenced in your own first hand experience. The same observations are shared and able to be reproduced by nearly all ex smokers who are now
    vapers.

...and don’t even get going on that, “if a drop of nic touches your skin, you’ll melt like the wicked witch of the west” crap!