1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

You're wasting your money on disposable vape gear

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by fruit-lover, Sep 12, 2014.

1. fruit-lover
    Cheerful

fruit-lover Thread Starter Well-Known Member

During the first vape meet we had last year, we were discussing what would be the best start up kit to get.
    My argument then and now is still the same... Get a provari or a DNA 20-30 and a kayfun or a Nautilus and you will be happy for years to come and not have to waste your money..
    I see many members buying this mech mod and that dripper and I think to myself what a waste of money.
    Because the fact is that comparing a provari or DNA to any other PVD is like comparing water to wine
    If you want to justify your purchases as a hobby that's fair enough, but if it's an alternative to smirking then wake up. If, like me you want a hassle free vaping experience
    This is my opinion and I know others feel the se way, but not all of you
    Get decent vaping gear is what I say

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

I will have to disagree ^^

I started with a small kit similar to a starter one and if I had to spend over a 100€ just to start, I'll still be smoking cigarette.

When I started I did not want to hear about rebuilding my coils, wicking method and steeping my juice.

Not everyone wants to spend the amount of money you spent and starter kit works perfectly for some people who want an healthy alternative to smoking without being time consuming.

As for the dripper and mech mods, I don't get your point ? Why is it a waste of money compared to a DNA for instance ?

I am actually glad I started on a mini kit and today my companion for the entire day is a Kanger Minipro tank 3, despite the RDA, RTA and box mod I have at home :)

Sent from the future

3. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

I say get people the 400 baht eGo/CE4 clone kit off the side of the road to start, and let them try your real gear. From there, you're absolutely right, real kit is the only way to go. Now that evolv has partnered with Innokin, though, you're going to be able to get a DNA-30 MVP or SVD real soon, and I think that will set the new bar. I still don't think people should be using mechanicals, and now there will finally be a decent and cheap enough option to compete with them.

4. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

I love vaping and it is the ONLY thing that got me off smokes. However…if I had to spend 200 - 300 dollars as suggested on a Provari and tank and juice and…..no way.

People don't know what the like in the way of devices, tanks, juices, rebuildables (or how to make a coil), battery safety, power limits on pre-made coils…and the list could probably go on.

But the one thing that sticks out is that people don't even know if they like vaping and they are not going to spend on a DNA 30 or Provari, or other similar priced devices, to find out.

5. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

The fyn of vaping is the discovery, the improvment of gears etc..

I really don't see the benefits of jumping to a DNA right away. You'll be missing so much, especially the learning process

Sent from the future

6. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

I've gone full circle from Mech mods back to VW mods, as in the DNA 30 chipped mods.

But back to the topic, I have to agree with a few things, I'd say for a new vaper, who knows nothing and just wants to get off the smokes they'd realistically want to try things out.

So I'd say for the tank an Aspire Nautilus Mini (BVC) and some cheap but good little VV or VW battery would be the best to start on.
    Then start to look at the higher class stuff later on, such as the DNA stuff and maybe the ProVari...
    Also like ryan said, Innokin now they have partnered up with Evolvapor, could be good for this kind of market.

How it all went for me was give or take;
    eGo battery and cE4 tank
    Within a few weeks onto a VV L-Rider and a Vivi Nova
    Then onto a VV Vamo
    Then onto a ProVari with a Z-Atty Pro
    Then onto the Innokin SVD an MVP with iClear 30 and 30S
    Then Mech mods with and without kicks
    Then DNA clones and KayFun clones
    Then real DNA mods with Nautilus Mini and KayFun clones

Missed out a of other stuff above like drippers and other things but nothing to shout about.
    All the above was due to Forums, without Forums I would have probably still got into vaping but not have tried out so much stuff, and most probably been happy with the lower end stuff.

I owned 3 ProVaris and sold them all, they aren't that much to what they are cracked up to me imho, menu system sucks for me...
    A lot of the time it's what works for you and keeps you off the smokes.
    Things what work for me might not work for others, things which work for others might not work for me.
    Like drippers, I've gone through many many drippers and hate them..lol...

7. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

Something cheep that works, a evod VV kit is about 600bht and will let anyone thats not sure if its for them try it out. I know Ive mentioned it before but Ive even rebuilt these with 28g micro coils and cotton for a good vape, it still remains my travel vape when im worred about airport security.

8. cmbrstefan

cmbrstefan Well-Known Member

I have once started vaping on a "Alip" my FB Training manager in the hotel bought me one, so i dont smell like an Ashtray infront of customers. cost 1500, went on to the egos with protanks. went back to analogs and came back to the Vission spinner 2 with tank.

Now i have a mech mod with a RDA and i a alreading looking to but more RDA's so i can have 1 build that fits me and the other for trial and error (and will be many more)

for the Budget i would go for the Mech's (mod 1100, RDA 800, 2x Batteris 640, Carger 380, ohm meter 500, Wire 60 p/meter = about 2'500.-) and that is the Minimal you need, but you have to learn Ohm's law for all the safety. you will never have to worry burning out a chip.

Provari is 10.000+ i have seen then mods that go up to 30w are 2000+ then mods that go to 15w are about 1500+. it makes the calculation and has the safety.

But still to quit smoking i personally say why do i want to spend much money when its supposed to save money so i go with a cheap build that takes me off.

My brother he love the electronics but he does not like the mechs because you can not change VV/VW. i fell in love with the mechs because you get to learn your coil build ( i had to make a build to suit my brother and he requested 5watts for a good vape, because he could not do it.)

So i mean Everything has pro and cons depending on personal needs and liking.

9. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

At the moment, for me, it's all about trying out the various different combinations of atomizers and mechanical mods in a quest for the holy grail. I may not find it but I'll certainly enjoy looking.

You are right in that a decent mod and atomizer will last a long time.

10. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

I have gotten a few people into vaping recently and I told them flat out the best starter kit is an MVP 2 kit with an aspire nautilus tank. Buying anything else just makes no sense. Sure a vision twist or the innokin alternative would work but only having one they would be tied to the usb to vape while charging or they could get 2 but at the expense the MVP 2 just makes more sense.

I also told them to try out a lot of juices and find what they like. At some point they will want to move up and then I'll talk to them about mechanical mods and rebuilding as well as regulated mods.

As a starting point the mvp just gives the best experience for the dollars spent and I have yet to find anyone that has been dissatisfied with the device.

I know there are guys that swears by their mechs and others that swear by their regulated devices and whatever keeps you into vaping it's all good but for a beginner they need to have a device that has a great battery time, gives a great vape and costs them under $50 to start =MVP + Nautilus.

11. smithereens

smithereens Member

I don't see drippers or mech mods as being "disposable" gear. IMO, A nautilus would fall into the "disposable" category. That being said, if you're talking beginner setups, then yeah a VW+nautilus would indeed be a good way to go.

12. jon
    Mellow

jon Well-Known Member

You have some valid point of course, as far as it goes. But I have to disagree some too. :grin:
    First, and most important, I don't need to justify buying new vape gear, I purcase new mods, drippers and rba's because I like too, it gives me a lot of pleasure to try out new things.

I have wasted money yes, buying Nautilus, Kanger and Ovale equipment was a "vaste" for me, but it was part of learning. My main goal was to get of the sigarettes, and that I did, and staying of is still the main focus.

But it has become a nice hobby too, I likes my mech mods, and yes, sometimes I likes to show them off. Like the Rambler I got. Not because I paid a lot for it, but the simple reason is that I think it is a piece of very nice equipment.

If it boiled down to just pushing some nicotin into my system I could easily have done that with just one mech + Kayfun. But for me the package is bigger. And yes, maybe I indulge myself a little bit to much sometimes, but I'm happy with it.

As I were told here on the forum ( sorry, don't remember who ), Whatever keeps you away from sigarettes is the best, and I agree totally.

13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Smithy, have to disagree that a Nautilus would be considered disposable. Aspire sells replacement gaskets, etc., and with a little care, they should provide years of service...or until we're ready to quit altogether.

I agree with Talen that an MVP/Nautilus starter kit is about as good as it gets right now, particularly for the price and the overall vaping experience. There's plenty of time later to add more expensive PV's, either regulated or mechanical, once a person's sure he'll stick with vaping.

To this, I'd add that every vaper should also have a backup mod in case the primary one goes down. We're vaping instead of smoking as a safer, alternative delivery system for the nicotine we need. Without a backup, most of us would have no choice but to start smoking again.
    :vaping::vaping:

14. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

There are also two distinct sides to vaping, vaping to stay off cigarettes and for the enjoyment/ and vaping as a hobby. Eventually every vapor becomes a hobbyist. It starts at realizing you need backups just in case and then the next thing you know copper tubes and aluminium boxes all of a sudden become sexy. While I love re-building and chasing flavor with some fine vapor production as many of us do we also have to realize that we are in the minority as most people vaping will never go beyond something akin to a aspire nautilus and an MVP type device.

When it comes to starting out the best choice for a beginner is something easy to use, dependable and cheap....then they can decide how to tailor their vaping experience.

15. smithereens

smithereens Member

Actually, I don't see any of this equipment as "disposable". I just consider the nautilus to be more towards that side of the spectrum because it uses pre-built, disposable coils.