1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Wicking Issue..

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Cloud-9, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Cloud-9
    Artistic

Cloud-9 Thread Starter Member

I just finished rebuilding the stock 0.5 ohm coil that came with my eGo ONE V2 and all-in-all it went really good, the only problem now is that my 2ml tank is draining much faster now.. As I was installing the newly wicked coil into the head I made sure to twist the head in the same direction as the wrap so the cotton wouldn't bunch up and everything felt good/snug during the install too.. I also primed the wick before installing the rubber sleeve and positive post on the bottom of the coil to make sure that the wick was fully juiced before assembling/filling the tank.. Should I be wrapping the coil a little bit more so that the wick is tighter than "snug" when going into the head??.. I'm also wrapping the wick "very tight" around the coil wire itself, is this correct, or it is there such a thing as "too tight" when re-wicking a coil??..

It also might be worth mentioning that I'm using an unknown type/brand of square cotton patches that I picked up at one of the night market vape booths for 50 baht, I'm guessing that it's the standard Japanese cotton, but I'm not totally sure..

Overall, in comparison to the stock coils performance, my first attempt at re-wicking has resulted in bigger clouds, better flavor and what seems to be a more effective delivery of nicotine, which of course I'm totally happy with.. However, the faster juice consumption is at the very least a pain in the arse, in a worst case scenario this could cause my juice costs to exceed my old 450-500 baht a week cig habit which is something that I'd naturally like to avoid..

Any tips, tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated..

jpr likes this.
  2. aging one
    Busy

aging one Well-Known Member

This is the nature of sub ohm vaping, it just seems to fly out of the tank. With my Nautilus I get a day easy out of a 2ml tank, sub ohm I can go through 2ml in a couple of hours of not even heavy vaping. Nice clouds though.

3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

You might try increasing the nic level so that you vape less... ;)

4. aging one
    Busy

aging one Well-Known Member

Dr. Aging One just proved it filled a tank with Serenity's vanilla custard and sat down under two hour ago. 2ml Melo 3 that has been good to me. It needs to be filled now. Not heavy vaping either but a nice time.

Siam Diesel and jpr like this.
  5. Cloud-9
    Artistic

Cloud-9 Thread Starter Member

The problem seems to be with the cotton wicking that I used vs. the stock "mystery wick" that was originally used by the manufacturer.. It was pretty bad when I unwrapped it so I really couldn't tell for sure, but it looked like some sort of gauze covered cotton which would definitely help to govern absorbency.. The cheap cotton squares that I bought at the night market have a super high absorbency to them, I'm thinking that something of a higher quality with a lower absorbency rate might actually be what I should be using but I'm not too sure what all I can use "safely" for wicking in a vaporizer..
    **Updated**
    Aging One, you just described the vaping experience I used to have with my stock wick, if I was working on the laptop just vaping casually a 2ml tank would last me roughly 2hrs.. With the type of cotton I'm using now, under the same vape conditions, my tank is almost empty in about 30-45 minutes.. I have noticed a slight improvement during my last 2 tanks, but I think that's because I've been vaping this new wick for 2-days already so maybe the cotton is starting to char/gunk up enough to slow the juice flow down a bit..

Something that did occur to me, all of the thai vape venders that I've been shopping with are mostly drippers and they all carry the same cotton which coincidentally would work really good for dripping the 100% VG juices because it is highly absorbent.. I've been using a 50/50 juice since I started but I thought maybe switching to a 60/40 juice might help to clog the cotton a bit..
    **Updated**
    I think I may have solved the problem simply by re-wicking, but this around, I used a much tighter wrap of cotton.. It added about 8mm to the overall length of the wick and that resulted in a very tight fit going back into the atty head.. I think my first wick was wrapped just a bit too loose causing the cotton to be too "fluffy" which resulted in a faster rate of absorbency.. After re-wicking with as much cotton as I could squeeze into this super tiny CL head (and they are friggin' tiny!.. lol) the juice seems to be wicking more like it did with the factory wick.. I vaped for about 20-30 minutes with my morning coffee and only used about a 1/4 tank which is pretty close to what I was getting from the V2's CL-0.5 coil when it was new.. So from here out I'll have to make sure that I'm re-wicking these disposable coils with as much cotton as possible!.. Well, live-n-learn I guess.. ;-))
    **Updated**
    [/QUOTE]
    You might try increasing the nic level so that you vape less... ;)[/QUOTE]

Actually SD, I'm glad you brought this up because it raises a question that I've been curious about concerning pro-vapors and their use of different nic-levels across multiple devices in their collection.. I think it will require a new thread though.. lol