1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

What's your favourite build deck layout?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Scuba Vaper, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Thread Starter Open Water Scuva Instructor

Velocity was a quantum leap first time I used it, what a good idea I thought. However since then, I've started to see utility in other coil mounting arrangements in other decks, Velocity being good, but not universally the best for every situation.

2. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

While anything related to vaping is definitely not a one size fits all, I personally do not have any builds I can't do on a Velocity style deck. Can you provide some examples? I'm sure there are some that I am missing.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  3. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

The only build I can think of that could possibly cause a problem would be a vertical quad coil. Main reason being that there will be a long leg on each coil and that will give you a coil that heats lightly more at one end than the other so reducing the performance at the cooler end for any given power settings. Also an increase in the risk of a hot leg that can burn your juice giving a crap flavour. Other than that all builds that I can think of are easily centres to even the wicking and leg length. Dual coils builds can be secured individually without fiddling with 2 unsecured coils at the same time as with a standard 3 post one positive connection deck.

Can't think of another problem build.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  4. Scuba Vaper

So that's two votes for velocity :)

And yeah @Longtail1 I been liking vertical coil builds recently and the quad separate verticals in the three post seems an easier build.

@Lotta ... Also, velocity coil leg holes are quite big, but my triple post RDA holes are bigger, thus there comes configurations that won't fit velocity based on either wire thickness or combined wire thickness.

Velocity is also designed around a dual coil build, my griffin is challenging to build and wick a single coil. Obviously with RDA doesn't matter as airflow and wicking is different.

And then I see other "oddball" decks like this one - Black Hole RDA | Thailand Vapers ... Which is nice for a single coil, my only concern is leakage with the airflow coming from underneath and it being an RDA, presumably don't juice more than a wick full.

Just an example above, but there are many decks, and wondered what other people's experiences are on non-velocity decks, did anyone find coil mounting nirvana elsewhere. Happy to hear likes and hates, and reasons why !

5. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

I have only used a vertical quad one time. The Big Block 454 RDA is the one to use for that build.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  6. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

I gave them away because of the long leg problem. If I want a quad vert now I go to a dual parallel vert instead.
    trying to get a quad 22g build through the positive on a standard 3 post is not easy without losing position on the coils. And that's if you have a pos post that will take that much wire. As 4 quad claptons as you just tried out on the velocity? Not up with drippers any more but there can't be many that will take that diameter of wire in a 3 post.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  7. Scuba Vaper

The 26/32 dual parallel vert claptons in my 200w build were fairly easy to mount in the holes, 24/32 would have been a struggle, and would have considered stripping the claptoning off leg ends in order to fit them, then I'm not sure what happens to the stripped part, would it get overheated ?

The long leg problem on the three post design is just bollocks really, lot of faffing about on a single or dual coil to get then centered ...

And yeah point taken on mounting coils on both sides of holes, must be a lot of faffing about, that would make one wish one had built on velocity ...