1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

What to think about when getting a mechanical mod ??

Discussion in 'Modifications and DIY' started by a_spirit, Nov 20, 2015.

1. a_spirit
    Angelic

a_spirit Thread Starter Swedish n00b

I have seen alot of pictures of your dildo like mechanical mods, and peeked my interest..
    So what do i need to know and what should i think about before buying one??

And of coz, pro´s and con´s....

Loki likes this.
  2. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

Things to think about (as I am a mech-head):
    1. Type of metal. Do you want SS, brass, copper? Copper, IMO, is best but it is soft. One drop can ruin a copper mod. Additionally, much polishing will be needed unless you like the patina look. Brass is great, patinas nicely, and is sturdy. SS is the strongest (and most boring - it never patinas. It's also the least amount of work. It can be cleaned using a Scotch Brite pad).

2. The firing button. Do you want a side button or a bottom button? Do you want a spring load or magnetic load? I personally prefer bottom spring loaded buttons, but there is no benefit. This is all down to personal preference.

3. The 510 mount. Do you go for a hybrid, an auto-adjust, or a manual adjust? I have all three. The hybrid gives the most kick and can be the most dangerous. The auto adjust is the easiest. Manual adjust can dent the top of a battery. High-end copper mech mods come with manual adjust (such as the Cartel).

3. The tubes. Do you want a single tube or a multi-tube? Single tubes can only take one size of battery. Multi-tubes can be adjusted to take a host of sizes. Again, I have both but my preference is for single tubes.

Hope this helps!

a_spirit and The Rev like this.
  3. BuzzSamui
    Cloud_9

BuzzSamui Well-Known Member

50W Aspire CF MAXX Sub Ohm Battery - 3000mAh

1. I have both CF Sub & CF Mods from Aspire and they have served me very well ... my CF Sub's will die some day (the CF Mod has a replaceable batt), so this CF Maxx looks like the perfect replacement

2. CF Maxx has a 3000 mah batt and the new 5-50w variable wattage system has to be a winner !

3, they all have some protection built in, which for me makes vaping with them safer

4. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Switch, size. SMPL. /Thread.

5. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Really... at the very least you need to pick up a SMPL. Every other Mech you buy will be judged against it anyways so start with it first.

6. a_spirit
    Angelic

Switch, i think i like the bottom one, size, i would like to use 18650 batteries..

SMPL, i have no clue what your talking about man :D Been vaping for just over a month :p

Like the look on it and the variable watts, but i think i would rather go with copper or brass..

1 = Copper or Brass, or maybe some nice with SS and brass/copper
    2 = Bottom. looks kinda cool :D BUT will it fire it up if i place it on a table ??
    3 = Well what would fit a newbie most ? and what will be usable in the long run ?? I can always buy more batteries so i can change..
    3 again :D = well one 18650 is fine for me i think...

Fast respons here, i love it :D

Oh i forgot, coiling one of these, what do i need to know about that ?? since there seems to be risk of burning or blowing them up ??

7. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

There are a few mech mods that use a mix of metals. Easy enough to find.
    Depends on the mech mod. Nemesis and Stingray might if the firing button load is too soft, however they both have locking rings to prevent that. Other mech mods have a recessed firing button.
    It's all up to personal preference. If you are looking for something to just get you started, I would recommend a Stingray or Nemesis. Both are solid. I have a pair of each, and they have lasted me for over a year. Smok makes a good SS mech mod. So do a lot of other companies. Big has an excellent selection of mech mods.
    It's a single-tube hybrid mech mod with a bottom magnetic loaded firing button. Slightly better than the 4-NINE that I have. Defo kicks ass over the Tarsius.

a_spirit and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. a_spirit
    Angelic

9. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Siam Diesel and a_spirit like this.
  10. a_spirit
    Angelic

Well thats to bad, coz i liked the look on it :D and now i found this one :D

$19.84 FUhattan V3 Styled 18350/18650 Mechanical Mod - copper + carbon fiber at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And of coz that one has some issues also...

11. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

The Praxis Mod is supposed to be a very nice mod once the switch breaks in. Especially in that it small and pocket friendly even though it doesn't have a physical lock. It will be my next to buy for sure.
    Praxis_Mod.jpg
    **Updated**
    I love my authentic FUHattan but keep in mind it is only for at home or "competition" use as it cannot be locked and is made to be very easily fired.

Siam Diesel and a_spirit like this.
  12. a_spirit
    Angelic

Looks nice, and clean.. No skulls or other nice things :D To clean for me maybe.. i found a shit load of fun stuff but it seems as the fun for me has some issues
    **Updated**
    Hmm it sure looks like there is a locking function to the button.. by twisting it, or why is there a hole in the side with a unlocked padlock ?!

13. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

I didn't realize that was a later version. It very well may be a good mod. Make sure to read the reviews. If it will be something you don't mind being careful with, I love my AR mod as well and it looks killer IMO. It's big, heavy and great for knocking someone out should the need arise :D
    $20.93 18650 Hollow-out Mechanical Mod - brass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

a_spirit likes this.
  14. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Technically, mech mods cannot compare to the latest VW/VV/TC mod boxes, obviously because mech mods are just basic firing action... Remains that they are really beautiful and so, my advice is to go to genuine mech mod, not a copy, otherwise you are loosing the main attract for this kind of device : the beautiful look and the build quality !
    That said, I have to confess I personally appreciate my Nemesis much more like a beautiful object than a vaping device, keeping looking at it while vaping with my box mod LOL

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Submaniac, Siam Diesel and a_spirit like this.
  15. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Thems fightin words