1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

volts vs watts

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by yourauntbob, Apr 3, 2015.

1. yourauntbob
    Happy

yourauntbob Thread Starter hair club for men member

So when i started vaping people told me that using watts are better as no matter the atty you screw on the vape will be more consistent.

I see the point they are making, but for me, volts seems to be a better thing to go off. It seems 4.2 volts is my sweat spot no matter what i am running. For instance, with my kayfun at 1 ohm i find it vapes the best at 4.1 volts (about 15 watts). When i screw on my subtank at .5 ohms i find my self cranking the power to 32 watts (about 4.2 volts). Then when i switch off to my silo tank at 1.8 ohms i am generally around 10-12 watts (4.5 volts)

The point being, my volts move much less around than my watts do. Yes 15 watts will give me approximately the same amount of vapor. At this point if my devise was vv/vw i think i would be using the vv setting more than the vw. your thoughts....

p.s. let see how long this thread takes to get off track :ha ha ha:

p.s.s. as can be seen by the much larger post count in the last few weeks, the wife is out of town and i have wayyyy to much time on my hands! :devilish:

Siam Diesel and Tibo like this.
  2. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

I've always gone by my volts to dial in the burn...Like you I am usually looking for the 4.1-4.2 sweet spot on the kayfun. But you can dial it in with just watts as well as long as the device gives you a volt reading. I think manufacturers shouldn't drop the vv aspect of the mods but I don't think the vast majority really know what they are doing until we tell them.

yourauntbob likes this.
  3. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

16 W on my Roses and I'm happy....

4. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Watts allow you to fine tune better, for example vaping my Atlantis now I get 4.2 volts from 27.3 to 28.5 watts but at the end of the day you change exactly the same thing.

5. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

I prefer using volts for the simple reason that I started with a Vision Spinner which gives you volts, not watts. So I was used to this.

On mech I have to refer to wattage to calculate my build, since the voltage cannot exceed 4.2. FInally on the regulated box, I prefer voltage again but the screen usually display the wattage in bigger numbers and I like my wattage wound up ^^

However no option is better than the other one, but I like to have both information when I can.

Note, if you have a short or a problem in your build, the voltage will play rollercoaster but the wattage won't. That's why I like volts more as well.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I used a ProVari VV for a long time so I got used to setting the voltage even though I also checked watts via an Ohm's Law calculator. I found my sweet spot was somewhere around 4.7 volts on my Nauts at 2.0 ohms, which works out to about 11 watts. When I switched to a VW device, I found myself still checking volts as I adjusted watts. The first time I used the Subtank and the Delta II, I used volts to calculate the initial watts setting...

Tibo likes this.