1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Vehicles.

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by Longtail1, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Thread Starter Vaping Troll

this is daft. Sorry to ask this but I can't get any information.

Car registration in Thailand.

My gf is buying a car on hp.

The initial registration came, and after paying a second one came. Now she is being told that she needs to take the car to be "checked" and send the results somewhere and then get the registration.

No reminders have been sent for either this or the insurance on the car.

Can ANYONE please shed some light on this as there is a load of conflicting crap coming out of the people giving advice.

And her English doesn't extend to this terminology either.

Does anyone know the procedure in Thailand for registration and insurance renewal?

2. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

The compulsory insurance is automatically renewed when you pay the registration fees. In fact (AFAIK) it is part of the fees.
    And none will be. The registration expiry date is printed on the registration paper/tag/thingie that you have to prominently display. Up to the owner/driver/user to renew on time.
    Ya, this needs to be done yearly for older cars and bikes. You need to find a shop that displays this sign:
    Car_Inspection_Service2-crop.jpg

Many places can do everything: inspect the car/bike, renew your compulsory insurance, and take care of filing everything at the Department of Land Transportation. That usually takes about three hours. Look for signs similar to this (P.R.B. is the compulsory insurance that all vehicles must have):
    extend_registration.jpg

I take my vehicles to a full service place. Just drop them off and come back later and get the vehicle and all the paperwork. The owner of the vehicle doesn't have to take the vehicle either.

Hope this helps!

jon, judas, Longtail1 and 7 others like this.
  3. Longtail1
    Amused

That is excellent @debatedude . Much clearer. The dealership have been talking in circles to her. Looks like they even sold her a second c.t.p insurance she doesn't need. Lol

Many thanks mate this has been driving me nuts.

debatedude likes this.
  4. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

Amazing. Didn't know that. Since when it this system in place?

Longtail1 likes this.
  5. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

Just a heads up (and in no way meant to be insulting)...compulsory insurance just covers the other guy, and even then, only in a limited way. You would be responsible for your medical bills (if required), paying for the damage to your car, and any overage in damage to the other car. Many people (me included) get supplementary insurance. Mine covers medical to me and my passengers, death and dismemberment (for my motorcycle), theft, bail bonds, etc. I consider it a worthwhile investment.
    Beats me. I've been doing it for the last seven years. I'm sure its been around a lot longer than that.

Longtail1, farangmick and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Longtail1
    Amused

Well. Just went to Toyota, I have a service I need doing so asked them to do both as they have the right classifications. Nope gotta go to dept of land transportation. Can't do it.

Right now very frustrated so I will go out again tomorrow and try some other places. Lol.

Thanks for the reminder on insurance. Already got a supplementary cover. Always good to be sure though.

7. oil
    Bitching

oil Custom What?

since its about Vehicles i hope you dont mind if i hijacking this thread ...

In my country of Origin its quite normal that a 2-3 year old car costs like almost half the price of the original sales price. So i expected that rule of thumb to be the same here in TH
    Since we moved to some remote location we considering buying a pickup ... So cars are totally not my world ...
    We recently seen in Big C some Toyota Pickup selling for round about 835.000, i know from her brother which bought a Isuzu Pickup for roundabout 730.000 so my assumption was that after 2-3 years those cars are still farily new and would cost me no more then 500.000 but my wifey and friends said that pickups are highly popular and they max drop in price like 50.000 per year.

I hardly can believe that. So .... wanted to hear what some more skilled people say about that.

Longtail1 likes this.
  8. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

My personal experience that maybe can help-
    -Car finance company sends me a bill to take care of the registration and comp. Insurance.
    -I ignore it and take care of it myself.
    -Go to dept of transportation.
    -Two insurance companies have booths there whom I buy my compulsory insurance from.
    -Go to the counter with: Insurance, last (expired) registration slip, copy of the cars "blue book" sent to me from the finance company.
    -I'm then told that because of the cars age it needs the "check". I ask if I can do that anywhere, she says no, do it across the street. (guess that's the official place to do it. In the USA we would call this emissions testing).
    -Get the car tested, passes, small fee.
    -Back to Dept of Trans. pay their fee, get a new registration slip and tag for the window.
    -Go home, scan all documents and e-mail them to the finance company so they know its been taken care of.
    **Updated**
    Nope. A use car dealership asks for a ridiculous price and private sellers will try to ask the same. you might be able to get a fair price from a private seller.

My advice is buy new if you can. Used cars here are overpriced, driven hard and poorly maintained. Also any "guarantee" the dealership may give you is questionable at best.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Longtail1, oil and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

If you purchased the supplementary cover from an insurance agent, you can be sure that they'll notify you when it's due for renewal (they want their commission). ;)
    Once a car is >5 years old, it needs this 'check' every year before they'll renew the registration. :)

Longtail1 and debatedude like this.
  10. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

My truck's coming up to seven years old. Always renewed the tax and class 1 insurance at the "local" Isuzu dealer, and time the trip to coincide with a service. Totally hassle free.
    As far as second hand prices go, wifey may have been correct a few years ago. Trucks certainly hold their value in the sticks far better than cars. But since ex PM Yingluk encouraged thousands of people to buy cars and trucks, when they could barely afford to fill up the Honda Wave, the market is awash with snatchbacks. It's a buyers market.
    **Updated**
    About insurance. Get class 1! I wouldn't have posted this, except that my wife was involved in an accident outside our house less than four hours ago, which I witnessed from our terrace 50 meters away. Our drive opens onto a single carriageway road which is arrow straight for a kilo or so in both directions, but little traffic.
    A friend driving her home indicated right, pulled out to the yellow line, and stopped, waiting for a scooter coming the other way. Rear ended by an ancient Mighty X overloaded with granite chippings and cement, maybe 60 kph. Spun into the storm ditch, taking the scooter with it. Other truck went over the ditch on the other side and into a wall.
    Wife and friend just a bit of whiplash. The poor couple on the scooter badly hurt. The bastard who caused it, jumped a storm ditch and hit a concrete wall without a seat belt, unscathed.
    Really sorry to rant. Had to get it off my chest somewhere. Mods, please delete if appropriate.

jon, debatedude, Longtail1 and 2 others like this.