1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Vaping could be worse for your health than actual cigarette smoking

Discussion in 'E-News' started by -V-, Oct 12, 2018.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Flavourings in e-cigarettes harm the lungs by triggering inflammation, scientists have warned

Vaping may be worse for your health than conventional smoking, according to new research.

Flavourings in e-cigarettes harm the lungs by triggering inflammation, scientists have warned.

The battery-powered devices are promoted as a tool to help smokers quit the habit.

But even short term use causes as much or more damage as the real thing, said the Greek team.

In experiments on mice they found the additives, including flavourings, caused lung inflammation similar or worse than that seen in traditional cigarette use.

Corresponding author Dr Constaninos Glynos said: "The observed detrimental effects in the lung upon e-cigarette vapour exposure in animal models highlight the need for further investigation of safety and toxicity of these rapidly expanding devices worldwide."

They simulate smoking a traditional cigarette by dispensing a vapour derived from liquid chemicals in a refillable cartridge that typically contain propylene glycol, nicotine and often flavourings.

Propylene glycol - a colourless and odourless additive - is found in numerous processed food and beverages. It is also used as a solvent in a number pharmaceuticals.
    Glynos said: "Electronic cigarettes are advertised as a less harmful nicotine delivery system or as a new smoking cessation tool.

"Our findings suggest that exposure to e-cig vapour can trigger inflammatory responses and adversely affect respiratory system mechanics.

"In many cases, the added flavor in e-cigs exacerbated the detrimental effects of e-cig vapour."

One group received cigarette smoke and three others e-cig vapours containing either propylene glycol, both this and nicotine or these two ingredient and a tobacco flavouring. A fifth batch just got normal, healthy air and acted as a control.

Some animals in each party underwent the regime for three days (short term) and others four weeks (long term).

There was an increase in markers of inflammation, mucus production and altered lung function in all three e-cig groups - after only three days.

But those getting propylene glycol alone showed fewer negative effects with long-term exposure.

Dr Glynos, of the University of Athens, said this suggests the additive elicits only a temporary irritation that eventually subsides with continued use.

In addition, two inflammation-producing proteins became elevated in the flavouring group.

Read more of the article here:

Vaping could be worse for your health than actual cigarette smoking research claims - Mirror Online

jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Let's see what Dr. Farsalinos has to say about this... ;)

I'm still convinced vaping is better than smoking!
    :vaping: :vaping:

Konvict and jpr like this.
  3. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

Still thinking as all of us in this place: vaping is better than smoking.

But I learn by myself that some bad juices can be very bad (scratching, allergic) I'm not sure also than over sweet juices are so good MHO (anyways no good for owner coils).
    This study concern how much vapers, maybe 0.01 pro cent of the vaper, sure less. It's why I very suspicious on the reading of this article.
    Wait and see, what Dr Farsaninos will said, as @Siam Diesel write

Vaping with good juices (and the good advices at the beginning) is IMO the best way to stop smoking.

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

"Dr Constantinos Glynos works for GSK according to Researchgate (see my earlier post), and they may well have an interest in dissing vaping seeing as they market nicotine-replacement products."

Go figure.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    The above quote is from the Comment Section of the original Mirror UK article-- the Mirror UK is not a reliable source of information, at the best of times. I wouldn't take too much notice of their 'news'.

Konvict, Frayedmind, Serenity and 2 others like this.