1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Vaping and coughing

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by David in Bangkok, Jan 4, 2015.

1. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Thread Starter Well-Known Member

So I have noticed I coughed a bit when first starting, and I still cough if I take too much at once. I don't know if it's my lungs being poor (especially since I'm quitting the cigs now, so I know I'm supposed to be coughing that stuff up), or if the vape always will cause that if I take too much at once.

I guess my question for the people vaping at least a few months consistently:
    1. Do you get to the point where you don't really cough at all?

2. If you go cloud chasing, or even take large amounts of vape at once, do you always cough? Coughed but then became accustomed to it?

Just curious, I'm pretty sure I'm already becoming accustomed to it somewhat and I cough less already after a few days. But I also remember vaping years ago that my equipment just wasn't even good enough to consistently get large amounts of vapor, whereas now it is, but I don't know if I can personally handle the large amounts of vapor or if I just need to become more accustomed to it.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  2. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

It could be you are just getting used to it but it could also be the mix of pg/vg...vg is smoother for me. It could also be the nicotine strength or the wattage/voltage you are firing at. Keep at it and you'll figure out what the right spot for you in all those areas and the coughing should go away.

As well if you are just quitting again then your lungs are still clearing out the gunk which doesn't help either.

3. David in Bangkok

I can find my sweet spot, I can get a decent amount without coughing, but that's a "decent" amount. If I in any way try to get a huge amount (which people do, I see it in the YouTube videos) I for sure can't take it. So I am curious for those "cloud chasing" are they using a high VG and 0 or almost no nicotine to get that huge amount yet still keeping it smooth enough to not cough? I just am taking these medium sized vapor "hits" but I can't imagine someone could take one of those high wattage hits and not cough...but I guess I've never really tried to do it enough to know if you can or not.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  4. jon
    Mellow

jon Well-Known Member

If you want to chase the clouds you need VG :) I had a good bit of coughing for some weeks after I stopped smoking but it rapidly got better.
    Sometimes when I'm in the mood I may fog down the room with some nice draws on my dripper, I'm not a cloud chaser. But I likes the feeling and look of some good vapour. Haven’t used any pre-built for a long time, but I can barely use 12mg juice in my Orchid if I take it slowly.
    In drippers 6mg is absolute max, and I should probably think hard about 3mg. And high VG. I prefer 60-70% VG in my juice now, I don't need or want the throat kick from the PG, and with the vaping equipment I use I still get plenty of flavour.

But in drippers and clouds, it's high VG and low nic.

5. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

I sometimes cough after hours of not vaping and then picking up on of my devices that has an edgier tasting juice or has a very wide open airflow. Except for those infrequent occasions, I don't cough from vaping. I did early on after getting into vaping and almost always find that people who try out my devices and vape for the first time will cough. I think it's because, if they are a smoker, they are used to dry smoke entering their throat and lungs and instead the vape is moist. They also aren't used to PG and VG so that could be a reason as well.

6. David in Bangkok

That's what I'm thinking too, so I guess I need to be patient while my body gets used to switching from nasty smoke to PG/VG vapor. I would like to be able to take full draws without coughing, but that could just be because I have barely been off cigs and my body is probably (hopefully) getting rid of all that nasty stuff smoke causes....

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  7. Rowdy
    Devilish

Rowdy Old broken down Vaper

Your body is telling you to get rid of all the phlem on your lungs.

My coughing stopped after a few weeks, now I only cough once in a blue moon.

When I stopped the stinkies my lungs were so bad after more that 50 years of smoking I was on the verge of having the oxygen bottle by my side 24/7. My health has improved after only 4 months of vaping it still amaze me.

I had a cig after being off them a couple of weeks, a friend gave me one & when I lit up I coughed so hard I thought my eyes were going to pop out.

At my age to be able to change from the stinkies to vaping, anyone can do it.

So lets keep on vaping.:vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping:

Scuba Vaper, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. David in Bangkok

I guess I have something to look forward to.
    I do think I am getting used to the vapor (I would cough from small amounts before, not it's just if I take too much at once).

Glad to hear you were able to switch. I completely believe in vaping because I quit with vaping, then quit vaping and it was a great experience. Nothing else I tried (gum or other cessation methods) came even close to working as well, not even a little close.

9. Submaniac
    Fiendish

Submaniac Ayatolah of Rock 'N Rolla

It's been a while since I stopped smoking and switched over. I do remember that during the first phase of the switch I was coughing and my throat was irritated. The explanation that I heard from others was that smoking was killing off cells so that you are desensitized. When you are vaping you are hydrating the cells (it is water vapor after all), so the sensation comes back and hence, you cough. I don't know if it is true or not but the coughing does eventually stop. Just keep at it.

10. Xilver
    Cool

Xilver Well-Known Member

On the subject of coughing. I am getting this coughing lately and am not sure why it is so.

Its not a dry hit cough. But I suspect its the ejuice. However, I am not sure if its age of ejuice that is perhaps over a month? Or is it nicotine levels? Which one of these will make a coughing vape??

I do 6mg nicotine all these times. Usually I notice fresh new ejuice might not have this effect but as time goes on, the coughing will occur... something like a hit throat effect but a tat itchy.

OR..... is it the coils???

Any suggestions or ideas guys?

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Way too many variables to even speculate...have you changed your vape style recently or changed the wire in the coils? Are you using a different type of juice, vaping more than normal, etc.? Are you a MTL or DL vaper?

Scuba Vaper and Konvict like this.
  12. Xilver
    Cool

Xilver Well-Known Member

Understandably too many variables.

It does not matter which tank I use so far. But I am trying to narrow it down to ejuice being steeped or not used too long ago time. Approximately a month.
    Or the coils. I do change my coils or rebuild my coils. And still these damn coughs still come back.

Usual ejuice are from VM on 6mg nic.

Honestly speaking quite put off with the coughs.. damn..

I do direct lung draws.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

First thing I'd try is to change the juice...keep everything else the same. Do you chain vape?

Edit: And if it feels serious, go see a doctor!

14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I've never experienced a cough but I have noticed that some juices make my tongue sore/raw if I vape them for too long a time at one go.

I expect that I'm reacting to something in the juice...and I bet you are, too.

15. Xilver
    Cool

Xilver Well-Known Member

Yes I chain vape. Especially at night while watching movies. But it seem like the cough occurs almost every time I take a toot.

Had not had this issue but this kind of suddenly occur for about 2 weeks now. Throat is normal and ok if I dont vape.

Question. Would lowering nicotine level to 3mg help?? Or it has nothing to do with the level? Or how long is a bottle of ejuice good for???

Scuba Vaper likes this.