1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

The Mixing Lab

Discussion in 'Thailand DIY Juice Making' started by jorakae, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Stevia I have no problem with. I'm basically trying to isolate what it is so I can avoid it. Lol

It has been over the last 2 years or so so not completely sure. Lol the last 3 flavors were meant to be 2 custard type juice and most recently a chocolate base flavor.

I have tried several different Malaysian lines and they all give me the same foul taste and smell. I have also had this with the couple of Thai lines I have tried made by Thai nationals. It is truly disgusting. The description is probably incorrect of course but that is the only comparable things I can think of close to the experience of vaping this stuff. Lol
    **Updated**
    I should add that I think it is a not something everyone would taste. I have spoken to one other vaper that gets the same thing however so I am not completely alone in this

2. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

As for chocolate / dairy / milky direction, many in Malaysia like a certain buttery note that we westerners identify as cooked-buttery and in the high dose cases a vomitty. The Indians like their Ghee, and Malaysia is influenced by Indian kitchen. They perceive fresh milky and creamy-buttery notes as "cowie" taste. In the Thai countryside a similar cooked dairy note is preferred, albeit not as strong as in Malaysia. In the cities that changed because of the influence pf Korean and Japanese food and dairy.

Ethyl Maltol has a kind of butterscotch aftertaste that usually matches with dairy flavours.

PS: You do well to avoid Stevia.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Longtail1 likes this.
  3. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Well that sounds reasonable to me. Lol. It is very possible that they were all desert type juices. Sounds like I need to avoid Malay desert juices then.

Actually sets my mind at ease a bit. I have been racking my brains trying to understand how a juice can be so horribly made and cultural pallet differences actually makes a bit of sense out of it.

Appreciate that. Thanks

peter-k likes this.
  4. jorakae

jorakae Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Under dry heating, such as in baking, sucralose with glycerols may form chloropropanols, a "potentially toxic class of compounds." Thermal degradation of sucralose and its potential in generating chloropropanols in the presence of glycerol I think that most of us accept that there is still some risk in vaping, but significantly less than smoking cigarettes.

What is even more inconvenient than cleaning coils for me is vaping juice I don't enjoy or that I know could be better. If that means I have to spend an extra 3 minutes changing my cotton and cleaning my coils to vape a juice I truly enjoy, that is a significantly reduced inconvenience for me. Even in juices where I use no additives other than flavoring, I will still end up having to clean my coils eventually. I often rotate through juices, a juice with some sweetener, then one without. I find the need to change cotton and clean coils can be prolonged using this method.

jpr likes this.
  5. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

Another alternative to sweetener is Marshmallow.

6. jorakae

Marshmallow is good, I also like to use vanilla whipped cream. Sometimes however, a recipe needs a bit of sugar to get just the right kind of sweetness. This is where sucralose fits the bill. If there are concerns about sucralose, swap for stevia.

7. zougou

zougou Well-Known Member

Does anyone have suggestions for mixing a sucralose or stevia sweetener from locally available food sweeteners? I checked on other forums and found mentions of a product called Splendex, but that apparently contains something other than sucralose, not good for vaping. Sucralose, stevia, or xylitol, in a pure form, to be mixed with PG? Should I try the supermarket or the chemical supply store? Mixing percentage?

Thank you!

8. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Personally I have only seen it in DIY juice suppliers. Not to say it isn't available in country but like many specific items possibly very hard to find.
    **Updated**
    Having said that sucralose is available here in Thailand.

diyflavorz.com

Siam Diesel likes this.
  9. jorakae

I would not use those from the store. They typically contain a lot of fillers and are very far from pure. Stevia and sucralose are available in pure form locally. Mix at 1 gram stevia/sucralose to 9 grams PG. Keep your stevia in the refrigerator to prolong shelf life. It can/will go bad. I've not had a problem with leaving out sucralose and going bad.

Stevia and sucralose I know are also both available from Chemipan.

Longtail1 likes this.
  10. zougou

zougou Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your suggestions--I'll visit my favorite chemical supply shop here in Chiang Mai soon.

11. jorakae

It's Thanksgiving time for us Americans and I thought I'd share a recipe for the holiday.

Snickerdoodle Cookie

[​IMG]

If you aren't familiar with this type of cookie, it is a warm buttery cinnamon sugar cookie.

This is a fairly simple recipe to make which consists of all of the ingredients you would expect in a snickerdoodle recipe.

There are 5 main flavors in this recipe:

1. CAP Sugar Cookie - This is the main base of this recipe. Sweet buttery warm sugar cookies.
    2. CAP Cinnamon Danish Swirl - This gives us our cinnamon note and adds a bit more buttery goodness.
    3. CAP Vanilla Custard - This gives the recipe some body, density, and richness.
    4. CAP Marshmallow - Adds both body and a touch of sweetness
    5. FA Meringue - Here to add a bit more sugary sweetness.
    The Recipe:

7% CAP Sugar Cookie
    4% CAP Vanilla Custard
    3% CAP Cinnamon Danish Swirl
    1% CAP Marshmallow
    1% FA Meringue
    0.5-1% Sweetener (Optional)

As a shake and vape, it is pretty good, but the cinnamon danish swirl can be bit forward and dry. Its needs a good couple of weeks steep for the vanilla custard to step up and the cinnamon danish swirl to calm down a bit.

Happy Thanksgiving!

jpr, moonoy93 and Siam Diesel like this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Bloody hell, that looks good! ;)

jorakae likes this.
  13. jorakae

If you are a fan of Charlie Noble's juice line up, you may have noticed that some of them have been discontinued and the company has been ever so kind to release some of their recipes to the public. This is the actual recipe for PB Cereal direct from Charlie Noble.

PB Cereal

8.50% TPA Peanut Butter
    5.50% CAP Sugar Cookie
    3.50% CAP Vanilla Custard V2
    1.50% TPA Malted Milk
    0.50% FW Bavarian Cream
    0.50% FW Cotton Candy OR Ethyl Maltol
    1d/10ml Saline Solution
    1d/10ml Acetyl Pyrizine

TPA Peanut Butter – you want peanut butter? Use this. The trick is to find the right background flavors to balance it out. Use too much, or don’t have a strong enough background to stand up against it, and it will just overpower everything, or develop a distinct burnt taste. Here we are going to use a bakery and a few creams to stand on the other side of the see-saw, and keep everything playing nicely together. The DX variant did not exist when we made this liquid, but it can be used with quite nice results.

CAP Sugar Cookie V2 – there are better choices to use for the bakery note in a cereal recipe now, and even some really nice cereal bases [I’m looking at you, CAP Cereal 27], but in 2014? Not so much. I needed a sweet, full bakery note that wouldn’t get totally lost behind peanut butter. This fit in quite nicely, and is a solid choice for any mix that needs some sugary roundness to fill in behind the accents.

CAP Vanilla Custard V2 – simple truth time, everyone…this is the standard for vanilla custards or creams. I know there are other custards and creams that work better for specific applications, but CAP VC V2 is a workhorse. You can use it to accent, you can use it to cover, you can use it to blend. I use it here to take the edge off of the peanut butter, turning it towards a creamy peanut butter flavor, and making sure that the burnt peanut flavor won’t rear its ugly head whilst I’m enjoying my vape. It also plays a part in the ‘milk in the bottom of the bowl’ portion of the liquid. We use DX, V2, & diketone-free formulas wherever possible in our production liquids, but if I’m mixing this up for myself…I may use some V1 instead. Maybe.

TPA Malted Milk – say what? Yeah, Malted Milk. See, I didn’t want fresh milk, I wanted that milk left over in the bowl after you just crushed most of the box. Malted Milk is a tricky flavor, and can get really weird, really quickly. I feel that you need to use it in conjunction with two other cream notes, and keep it under 3%. In this application, it’s playing off of the grain undertones in the peanut butter and the cookie, and the sweeter cream part is working with the custard to make that sweetened milk flavor that I was searching for, along with…

FW Bavarian Cream – strictly here to be a sweet dairy note. It’s the third part of the dairy trifecta, and is only here to fill out the missing portion of that milky note I needed. You can try subbing this out with different dairy flavors that you enjoy, just remember that it’s supposed to be in the background.

Cotton Candy/Ethyl Maltol – this is not here for sweetness! Please, can we all just take a minute and set down the EM and sucralose? If you need to add multiple percentages of a sweetener, then you need to revise that recipe. Ok, done preaching. EM is amazing when used for its real purpose – rounding off rough edges. It can make flavors layer together, or can make that one sharp accent drop down a notch or two. Half a percent is just about perfect for that purpose.

Saline Solution – yeah. Salt. Peanut butter is salty. Salt makes things taste more like…well, more like whatever they are. There’s a reason that salt is added into almost every recipe I can think of, both savory and sweet. Occasionally, when you’re working on a bakery recipe that is almost there, but is just missing that little bit of ‘pop’, saline may be that missing bit of sparkle. Sterile saline solution, get it at a drugstore, or make your own with some distilled water. Just a touch, though. We don’t want to actually taste salt, we want to use it to enhance and accent the flavors that are already there.

Acetyl Pyrizine – another accent molecule. Tread with caution, as a tiny bit too much will turn all of your hard work into corn chips. Use a drop or two in bakery or tobaccos that are missing that bready/grainy flavor. Seriously, though, a drop. It is here to bring out a touch more of the grain note I needed for a true to life cereal flavor.

Hopefully a few of you that have been letting us know how much you miss PB Cereal will now be able to satisfy that craving, and a few more of you will give mixing e-liquid a try. Drop some comments, discuss your thoughts, or just let us know what you think! Also, stay tuned, as we will continue to release recipes for discontinued liquids. As always, thank you all, and I can’t wait until next time.