1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Thai humour!

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by farangmick, Mar 3, 2017.

1. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Thread Starter Well-Known Member

"Fancy a chuckle" is always good to turn to, especially when things outside my control are going tits up. Yet when I find a joke I think my wife can get, and tell her, I get a blank look. The up country Thais in my town only seem to laugh at children's humour. Third rate slapstick circus clowns in silly clothes and false breasts, with an obligatory dwarf tossed in, (oops, non PC). Is it just me, or do all Thais have the sense of humour of an under 10, or rugby player when it comes to entertainment?

2. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

I think it has more to do with what people (and I mean all people) are exposed to while growing up, rather than any underdevelopment. With that said, let's talk about what Thais, over a few eons, have been exposed to:

IMO, the region that includes Thailand is almost like the classic "Garden of Eden." Think about this for a minute...think about Thailand before all this urban sprawl. Food grew everywhere. Rivers and lakes full of fish. A mild climate. No real natural adversary. If a person was hungry, they could reach up and grab food. Any remains could be thrown on the ground and presto! More food grew! A climate generally warm enough so that no clothing is really needed. No reason to develop fire. If it rains, just grab a banana leaf. No need to develop clothes. No need to develop the wheel either, as klongs can float you anywhere and why bother travelling? The land provides everything you need. In short, over thousands of years, a culture develops that is generally happy, complacent, and unchallenged.

It takes adversity to develop. Cultures that developed in regions with hardships (severe heat or cold, warring tribes, the need for travel to secure food and water) needed to develop humor, in order to survive.

I hope this makes sense...I haven't had my coffee yet.