1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

TC Vaping with SS316

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by oil, Feb 7, 2018.

1. oil
    Bitching

oil Thread Starter Custom What?

prolly asked that several times... but havent found some decent solution for it yet. I still vape on Ni200 but got a shitload of pre-coiled SS316 coils lying around, whenever i put them in ... Vaping isnt the same, i get cut offs, less warm vape... really none satisfying.

i tried this with several devices, the DNA75 type work better then others, from Joyetech i read i should use TCR mode, cause they got the SS numbers wrong... but still not like Ni200

any recommendations... i do like TC vaping more, cause on normal coils i am the master of burned cotton and then i have to switch it out really often which i dont like as well

2. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Too often busy to visit here as much as I used to but noticed your post, @oil !

First, whether your own hand-twisted coils or pre-made coils (single wire or a more elaborate variety such as alien, staggered fused, clapton, etc.), you would probably be best served spacing the coils and not having them in contact with each other. This usually allows for better accuracy and temperature regulation.

If you are using pre-defined/built-in material type profiles on the mod, you may have to adjust the temp value to one that is higher or lower than what you are used to in obtaining a similar vape as you have experienced with Ni200. You may find that using a custom TCR number works best and you can start at a value similar to the default for SS316 and adjust as needed. .0088 - .0092 where the decimal point location depends on the mod.

The more exotic coils can be more difficult to obtain accurate temps with built-in SS316 profiles, where they can be prone to kicking out of temperature control mode and into power mode or provide too hot or too cool of a vape. Personally, I like either single wire or twisted wire when using SS316 and nothing fancier than that. My go to SS316 wire has been simple twisted and I do that myself with a drill. They work extremely well for me and as with all temp control coils, I do space them and not do contact coils.

Hope this helps!

Konvict, Siam Diesel and oil like this.
  3. oil
    Bitching

4. Ridwan Hartono
    Relaxed

Ridwan Hartono MTL ♥️

if you like TC with Ni200 you should buy the Dicodes 60W box mod from germany, that mod is awesome.
    i sold mine last year when my friend saw it and really fall in love with that box mod

Siam Diesel likes this.
  5. oil
    Bitching

planned that in for my next trip to Germany

Ridwan Hartono and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. benley73F.O.N.0

benley73F.O.N.0 New Member

Have a look on evolve site for more 316 316L profiles to try some do have different TCR,s i do like the 315L 26g spaced round wire builds myself in TC an then its just adjusting the temp an such for each profile till your happy , i do find some profiles are hitting temp protection more than others

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Siam Diesel likes this.
  7. Scratchy
    Lurking

That's a good suggestion. I checked myself and outside of the occasional forum post with someone sharing a wire profile, I see mod DNA 60, 75C, 200 and 250 themes and mod settings profiles and only a total of 5 wire profiles available for download and not very useful ones at that. Can you please link @benley73F.O.N.0 ?

If a DNA mod, you can also download material TFR profiles via Steamengine and then edit the values in the *.csv file before uploading with EScribe. I did this with a SS316L csv file and increased the values very slightly to get a little warmer vape for using one specific vendor's SS316L wire. @oil if you want, I will be happy to share that with you.

There's also a custom data thing at Steamengine but I haven't messed with it: http://www.steam-engine.org/customdata.html

If you are having difficulty with a Joyetech/Eleaf/Wismec mod, there is a 3rd party firmware called Arctic Fox that you can use. I have really been happy with it and use it to provide some additional features, but it's not geared for beginners. It has default profiles for the common wire materials and you can also use TCR values or custom TFR profiles as well. Takes some reading to do the custom stuff and to understand all the features.

You can take the very easy approach and just space out all of your coils and adjust the temp upward or downward to taste without much concern for the temp value being inaccurate or you can take it a step further with custom profiles and the like.
    **Updated**
    Quick additional note that not all Joyetech/Eleaf/Wismec mods are supported by Arctic Fox.

oil and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. oil
    Bitching

a very special thanks to @Scratchy i tried this NFE Team Arctic Fox Firmware and i am blown away,
    knee fall, hugs and kisses, love it

Scratchy and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

I have several different mods including a dna75 and several Wisec/Joytech mods (as well as others). I use ss304 or ss316L on them all with temperature control but in my experience only the dna mod works well without resorting to tcr setting. In tcr it is easy to adjust the vape as raising the number gives a warmer vape and lowering the number a cooler vape. It is critical to make your watt setting while in tc at a reasonable number for the coil and and atomizer you are using. Setting the wattage in tc mode too high or too low will spoil the vape and cause the tc to work improperly. You can get an idea of the best range for you wattage setting by trying your atomizer in vw mode to find a reasonable wattage level. Then switch to temperature control and enter that wattage. Also remember to lock your resistance on most mods except dna mods which do their own refinement of resistance. When you do lock resistance make sure your atomizer is at room temperature.

I should point out that there are some atomizers that will not work properly with tc no matter what you do. It is a matter of their design and the conductivity. You can search forums about your atomizer to see if others are having problems with it.

Siam Diesel and oil like this.
  10. Scratchy
    Lurking

Glad it works so well for you! I have it on pretty much every Joyetech/Wismec\Eleaf mod I own that is supported.

oil and Siam Diesel like this.