1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

SX Mini ML

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by ckapp, Dec 4, 2015.

1. ckapp
    Amused

ckapp Thread Starter Smile!

Yes, yes, yes... expensive. No triple LiPo's. BUT ... Yihi REALLY DID change the battery cap. It's got a more coarse thread pitch and less threading too, so it's now a breeze instead of a "run for the Tylenol" matter of putting in a fresh 18650.

Yes, it's smaller and lighter; still no match for the VT200, but, with the latest firmware update, you can get 150w/j out of it (like I really care). I played with one yesterday at a shop down here in Malacca. As with all things "updated", it remains to be seen as to whether or not I'll drop the coin when I hit Legadget while in KL tomorrow. SX-appeal does account for something though and given the rapidity that my friend in Kota Bharu sold my rather ugly and clunky VTbox200, I think I can sell my genuine SX Mini M for at least MR550. Paid MR730 for it.

Sure: It's the same deal with many of the camera manufacturers; the bodies change almost annually or sooner, with incremental improvements. Then, every once in a while, a game-changer comes along, like Sony's FF A7 series - now with 5-axis IS (a la Olympus), Leica's new Q ? Holy shit. The glass (lenses), however, moves much more slowly; more like a 3-5 year cycle.

I've written to YiHi twice now regarding my appeal to become the first of the chipset Big Boys to introduce OSX compatibility for their installers, drivers and updaters. Well-received, thoughtfully and gratefully replied to by YiHi, btw.

Granted, IMHO, the SX is the most Apple-Like mod on the market. It's almost like Jony Ives wrote them a letter or something on haptics and ergonomics. And given the fact of the SX350J's lineage including all the cool features like 5 memory pre-sets, 5 power ramping profiles, a two-button push to set build resistance, etc., there's not much reason to tether it to a computer, unlike Evolve's DNA's. Apple's market penetration with their MacBook Pros has grown exponentially in the past 5 years or so - so why we Mac users are "left out in the OSX-native cold" escapes me completely for firmware updates.

If YiHi chooses to become the first chipset/mod maker to post "OSX Compatible" on their website, the news will literally go viral on the internet and across all media platforms and jettison them into the stratosphere, sales-wise. Sure, a sharp Mac user can install a Win clone/emulator and gain access to any of these dedicated apps to fiddle with the minutia associated with the profiling of the chipsets. I certainly could, but won't waste the time when I could/rather be editing images and writing.

But the VT, like the SX and even my IPV D2 just works right out of the box. And on the SX Mini M, I'm happier than a pig in shit because I can fine tune everything locally on-chip, easily and precisely tailor it to my builds, juices (PG/VG ratio) taste preferences, etc.

Yup. The VT200 is a joy to use and hold, but there's something very Apple/BMW-like about the SX - beyond the VT200 - that really pushes my buttons regarding aesthetics, handling, on-board profiling capabilities and style. Guess that makes me an SX fan-boy... whatevs...

Wake up YiHi! There's a ton of vaping mac-addicts out there whining about this, just like me!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    kevin bangkok likes this.
  2. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

As far as I know Provape already has the Mac crowd covered. It is as if both product lines were made side by side. They are built very well albeit with last years tech, proprietary connections, design geared towards feelings, aesthetics, ease of use and firmware working right out of the box rather than bleeding edge tech, experimental features and compatibility. Yihi if anything kind of reminds me of Samsung. They've been living high on the hog this last year but I'll be shocked if they find a way to keep it going. Eventually people will figure out they can have the same at a much better price point yet they will continue to try and milk the rest of what they can out of their name and glory of past successes. Yihi has plenty they can play with but they need to really step things up if they want to remain in the game. There are new chip makers hot on their heels and the prices are much more in line with where they ought to be. On a very positive note it looks like the SXMini chip (Sx350j?) is in a lower priced ELEphone mod for just over $40. Maybe Yihi is getting smart and will do what they can to grab the market share?

ckapp likes this.
  3. ckapp
    Amused

Hey Rev. You are right on the money with this and thank you for chiming in here. I've *just* heard of the ELEphone and will now certainly look in to it further.

Literally everything you've had to say has been going on in the camera body business for 6 or 7 years now and what's available has stiff competition from phones, of all things.

"Yihi has plenty they can play with but they need to really step things up if they want to remain in the game."

And this is exactly what I said to Amanda in the dedicated SX Mini department with whom I've been speaking. I was most emphatic in describing to her a situation from years past, in where Sony introduced Vegas, a video editing program. Stupidly and stubbornly, they refused to make an OSX-compatible version. Apple ran right over them in terms of functionality and customer support with FCP. It cost Sony's ignorance of mac users untold millions of dollars. They finally caught on, but with Jobs' work with Pixar, Disney, etc., they couldn't touch FCP until the more recent years.

Yihi/Amanda has listened very patiently and carefully, and has forwarded my suggestions to the engineering and marketing departments (or so she said) and we'll see what happens. Yup. Samsung has done some wonderful things with their products and no wonder; they contract with Apple, but over-stepped the litigious line a while back and Apple successfully sued them and won. That stuff has finally calmed down and the playing field with smartphones is leveling out.

But seriously; how many DNA200-chipped mods can the market bear? I will certainly check out Provape as I didn't know of their existence. So once again, thank you! Just the thought of Escribe makes me break out in hives anyway in spite of owning a VT200. Even my meager IPV D2 works nicely, although it's obviously less efficient, because it requires about 5-8 more watts/joules to equal the vape output as the SX or the VT. Still... it works just fine.

These are indeed interesting times and on many levels...

Thanks for your post, Rev. Very much appreciated and a thoroughly enjoyable read too!
    **Updated**
    "The Radius has the capability to have its internal firmware upgraded via USB. This can be done at home with any Windows 7/8/10 system."

Whoops. Guess not. It's pretty, but it only works with WinDoze. Waaaahhhh....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    The Rev likes this.
  4. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

We are in an exciting time. Changes are happening at breakneck speeds, new players are popping up with new developments and the big dogs are right around the corner from releasing their newest and greatest. Joytech stealing the show lately has been exciting all on it's own with the VTC Mini and now the Reuleaux RX200 both upgradable and both just over $40 landed on your doorstep. I'm hoping that both Evolv and Yihi follows suit to start offering competetive chips that are kept up to date as well. The D2 is a perfect example. I love it for VW and using Ti it was amazing. Unfortunately though I like most everyone else have move on to the more versatile Stainless Steel wire but the D2 can't be adjusted low enough for it and also cannot be upgraded so it has no hope for the future either. Sounds like the D3 doesn't have the ability either. It's a shame as I love the way it feels in my hand. For my MTL tanks, I love the idea of the VT25 as well but it suffers from the same problem as the D2 only this time with an Evolv board rather than Yihi. It is limited to only using Ni200 and cannot be upgraded. I was blessed to have somebody here offer me a considerably large discount on a Reuleaux DNA200 and so decided I would give it a run. I realize it's somewhat a pain in the neck but I'm interested to see just how good Evolv's flagship vape can be. If it turns out that the Elephone mod really is running the SX350J I will be sure to give that one a run as well. Well I'm running off at the mouth. I apologize for coming off as a dick earlier. I appreciate the work you've put into improving Yihi's Game and hope it bears much fruit. My fever is kicking in full bore so I'm going to go on and lay down. Have a blessed evening -The Rev

5. ckapp
    Amused

Hey Rev;

"Well I'm running off at the mouth. I apologize for coming off as a dick earlier."

Huh? When? I didn't get that at all... I thought your previous post was delightfully well-informed and fun to read as it included stuff I wasn't aware of! One funny thing about Provape's webpage with the downloads/updates; the mod, (whatever it's called), was shot next to a MacBook Pro. But... Pee Cee only (those filthy mac-teasing muther f***rs) for firmware updates and configs in the specs. Bad form...

Jewish penicillin: Chicken Soup.

Please feel invited tear off and rant anytime. Hope you have an expeditious recovery. I'll keep you in mind when we get to Legadget in KL tomorrow. Looks from their web site that they have ALL THE TOYS :p

If I pull the trigger on the ML, I'll post a few pix and comments. Looks like they sorted out their menu system/UI a bit as well as fixing the freakin' battery cap. Yeah... let us know about the Reuleaux RX200. VapnFagan had his usual objective commentary on the triple 18650 arrangement. I've got small hands and the weight of the SX is just about the max for me for comfort, which also explains my enjoyment of the VT200 and the diminutive IPV D2.

Stainless, huh? Ok, I wanna hear more about this after you get better. All I own any more is 28g Ti and 2 6 and 2 3Ml SC/RDTA/V's. I can keep some of the Ti for my D2, but wonder if the SX and the VT will run SS. I'll look into it...

Get well soon!

Clint
    **Updated**
    Oh... Are you familiar with the Ranger? Very well-parked up there in the "not too cheap" bracket, but an interesting story around its evolution and development. And even more interestingly, it's now marketed through Illumn, where I bought my genuine Samsung 25R R5's from @ a giddy $5.00/copy. Still can't wrap my brain (or hand) around a dual 18650 mod, but hand-made? Yeah... it did capture my attention.

6. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

I'm on it.... Lot's of Nam Sai (Chicken Broth) as well as Kuay teaw Gai (Chicken Noodle Soup) :)

That is my first stop on our next trip to KL for sure. It's like Santa's Workshop in there!!!

Keep us up to date. I've always been fond of the SX Minis and hope it will continue to pave the way for the industry.

I'll make sure to add my thoughts here on at least the DNA200 Reuleaux. Should I wind up grabbing an RX200 as well I'll give my comparison between the chips.

I ran across SS TC wire in my quest for something better. I never used Ni200 as the fact that many folks can taste Ni and even have reactions to it. It just seems a logical step to keep my distance. Ti worked well though I felt like a strung out, paranoid, feind looking at my coils every five minutes for the dreaded oxidation. I also grew tired of having to rewrap coils so often without the easy ability of dry burning the gunk off as I can with Kanthal. Stainless Steel came along and offered a resistance even closer to Kanthal as well as having the ability to dry burn and quench to clean the coils. The problem is that SS requires chips with better accuracy and much tighter tolerances in it's TC. Ni200 will be a very nice and smooth vape, Ti01 a little less so and SS can be quite choppy. In fact many chips haven't even been updated to use it in the first place as they weren't built to be that accurate.

I was never one to get wrapped up in the Hammond Box Mods. I love my mechs first and foremost and enjoy wrapping to suit voltage. I also, like you, don't care to have too large a mod in my hands and those Hammonds are huge. My favorite 2 battery mod at the moment is a Mechanical Osmium V2. It is quite small and fits my hand very well but of course it is a mech mod rather than regulated.

1k.jpg

ckapp likes this.
  7. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

The ML is available at Pink-Mule now. No bargains this time around, priced 40usd more than the US. Wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with that ***** Abraham from VaproSupply who seemed incredibly butthurt at PM's original price of the M-Class.

8. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

is that price with or without VAT ?
    **Updated**
    $191 exc VAT so not too bad I suppose?

9. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Probably the cheapest place we'll get them.

Siam Diesel and Longtail1 like this.
  10. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

Available I think for 7000 here in 1 of the Facebook groups I am a member of. Can't be 100% sure though as I can't read Thai and personally am not interested in it. In case any one is interested I can try to get some more info out.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Siam Diesel likes this.
  11. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

I would like some of that info if you can get it Emmess. Even the name of the group?

12. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

Hell Vapor group in FB

Siam Diesel likes this.
  13. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

Is a closed group but am sure will let you join. You can see the sale post there and buy it, if interested

Siam Diesel likes this.
  14. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

In case you can't get in the group, let me know and in case you are interested, I can talk to the seller on your behalf

Siam Diesel likes this.
  15. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

Just talked to him. They are on pre order now till the 18th Dec. Price 6666. Deposit 3000 when you order before the 18th. Delivery before Jan 15. @Longtail1

Siam Diesel likes this.