1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Subtank Mini V2 by Kanger

Discussion in 'Thailand Vapers Reviews By Our Members' started by peter-k, Dec 30, 2015.

1. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Thread Starter Well-Known Member

This build are the OCC coils which came with my Subtank. No more taking off top cover and rewicking. Pull the bottom and then the wire will break.

PK-Kangercoil.jpg
    **Updated**
    So here is the main reason for the harsh taste I did get, and the iverly hot vapor:

No good
    **Updated**
    sorry should it have been this:

Don't
    Pk-coil-low.jpg

Do
    Pk-coil-mid.jpg

I was following a coil building video posted on Youtube. It said for best flavour build the coil close to the vent hole.

As a guide orient the center of the coil around the top of the wire posts.

2. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

JohnKalasin Well-Known Member

**Updated**

So the first picture is the wrong way? and second picture is THE BEST way to set up the coil?

3. peter-k
    Fine

I don't know if the second photo shows THE BEST but yes the first position resulted in harsh flavour and hot vapour.
    Set too high the vapour remains cold and the flavour's body remains empty and loads of crackling. The lower position as recommended by one of the reviewers causes lesser crackling but what's the use if there is shxx taste? So, centering the coil with the posts top seems good.

The rebuild of the original looks easier than building in the RBA section :0

4. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

The higher the coil is positioned from the vent hole the more hot the vape gets?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ6.6 using Tapatalk

5. peter-k
    Fine

Center the widest part of the coil with the top of the posts and that should be a good compromise in between crackling, heat and vapour.

Besides of the OCC coils I tried Kanthal with 0.5 ohm, 1.0 ohm (28 G) and 1.6 ohm (30G), 0.64 ohm Ti (28G) and 1.07 ttwisted (30G) with the RBA. For me the best so far is the Ti in Temperature Control, the twisted Kanthal, and the stock coils.

6. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Tested today the OCC coil re-building, Kanthal AWG 24 and 5 spaced turns : 0.5 Ohms and the flavor is better for me than using the RBA part!
    Nevertheless, very curious to test the new Kanger OCC Clapton coils at 0.5 Ohms... Anybody tested this already?

7. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

What coils do you guys prefer on the subtank RBA, Compressed or? spaced coils?
    The lower the coil is to the airhole the colder the vape gets?

8. peter-k
    Fine

Micro coil or spaced coil
    I tried compressed and spaced at around 1 ohm Kanthal. I found the later being better for flavour.

Positioning
    closer to the air hole
    - hotter vapour
    - can make the flavour with nic harsher (I tried tabacco)
    - less crackling

farer from the air hole
    - colder vapour
    - more flavour, but at too high distance no more flavour just colder shit
    - more crackling

Wicking
    With the new version RBA I found it needs more cotton as compared to what I see on all these demo building videos on Youtube (where most of them use the older version with the two tiny juice hole on the bottom). The inside of the coil needs a tighter wick, outside in the chamber it can be made fluffy but in particular it is important to completely cover the two side juice holes in cotton, otherwise the thing can gurgle terribly.

Filling
    A last point, don't fill the tank to the top of the chimney, leave a 2 mm space. Or it tends to leak.

farangmick and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

10. peter-k
    Fine

My subjective Coil Preferences for Kanger Subtank Mini RBA deck:
    - Ti 28 ga, from 0.5 - 0.8 ohms, vape in TC at around 30 W / 240 - 250 Celsius
    - SS316L 28 ga, around 0.8 ohms, vape in TC at 10 - 12 W / 230 - 240 Celsius
    - SS316L 24 ga, around 0.3 ohms, vape in TC at 17 - 19 W / 245 - 255 Celsius (but slow ramp up)
    - Kanthal A1 twisted from 2 wires 30 ga, wrap to around 1 - 1.2 ohms, vape in Power Mode at around 14 W

Ni:
    - handling more difficult (material is soft, not springy, breaks easily)
    + flavour good (but hardly better than Ti)

Ti:
    + much easier to use than Ni
    + shines with fast ramp-up
    + best flavour
    - lesser cloud
    - new coil deshapes when pulse pre-heating

SS316L:
    - Slow ramp-up at low ga
    - may deshape at new coil dry-burn
    + handling almost as robust as Kanthal
    + good flavour, warm vape
    + can use in TC and Power Mode

Kanthal A1
    + robust, easy to handle
    - slow ramp-up with thicker wires
    - rusty (?) appearance after a while (is this good?)
    - tastes thin

I wonder how come Kanthal became so big, and not SS?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    farangmick likes this.