1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Subox Mini Kit

Discussion in 'Thailand Vapers Reviews By Our Members' started by Scuba Vaper, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Thread Starter Open Water Scuva Instructor

Many thanks to @Big by-pass , my order arrived on NYE which is bank holiday in Thailand ... Awesome :)

I literary just picked up package from reception 30 minutes ago. My Sony lion battery needs charging, so will be a while before I can try out. So more, a first reaction and look and feel.

Big was out of stock of the Uwell crown, which was my first choice. In the meantime he got Subox mini kit back in stock, overall I saved quite a lot of baht by changing order. And very glad I did, now I see that I've actually got something pretty nice looking for much less money, a penny saved is a penny earned I think the cliche goes ...

It's challenging to get an idea of how big or small something is until it's in your hand. Subox Mini, love it, fairly/very light weight and very compact for my size hands. Form factor would have been hard to improve, and construction so far of the mod looks great.

Black is the new black, for me, prefer it to any other colour apart from stainless, possibly gold if I was being ostentatious, which generally I'm not. Do any "normal" people actually want a pink one ?

I'm having to wait for battery to charge, which is slightly frustrating. But I chose a mod with separate battery, as I wanted freedom to choose which batteries I use and freedom to replace the battery if and when it dies.

The tank looks pretty cool, RBA kit , 0.5ohm and 1.5ohm coils come with the kit ... Have no clue what the red stickers are for, "go faster stripes" ?

So provided it does what it says on the tin, I'm very happy so far with the purchase. Hopefully I can update this once my lion is charged.

Thanks to big for shipping out and EMS for delivering today. And thanks to all you guys that provide this forum for us, which enabled me to be in touch with big and tieng, and has given me a soft landing in learning about all things vapester'ing ...

Happy new year !

Siam Diesel, farangmick and Emmess like this.
  2. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

Happy new year. The Subox Mini was my first and I love it. The coloured strips are to stick on your batteries, so they show red through the vent hole. Being from Yorkshire (the avatar is a clue), I cut each strip up, so one strip does for three batteries!
    I agree about the charging. It was a pain when it was my only mod, my nose nearly touching the keyboard when using the pass through facility. Grab a charger and a couple of spares from one of our excellent vendors. I really fancied a Nitecore D4, but it's still bobbing about on the ocean three weeks after ordering.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  3. Scuba Vaper

@farangmick , happy new year too :)

I must have some Yorkshire blood too then, economising these days is a part of daily life ... Although, I'm not "tight", just try to be efficient, money lasts longer, which is a good thing. Or I get to spend on things which are really important.

So far, great, subox mini far surpasses the CE4s I have, but they'll probably get recycled in a project, and where a cheap starting point, so alls cool.

6mg nic liquid I find a little on strong side sub ohm. My ideal would be stronger flavours, and then dilute with VG or PG, which I believe can be obtained locally from chemipan. Also looking into my own flavourings, local bakers supply have whole shelves of little bottles of essences at like 12thb each ! Only prob is the nic, which I'm looking in to.

Sub-ohm I think is where vaping is heading long term, and it works for me with subox, currently using the 0.5ohm at around 20-40w. I also have a little kanthal and nichrome wire to experiment with the RBA. However RBA seems to be horizontal coil, as opposed to vertical coil in premade ones.

I already have D4, which I bought for my diving torches and flashes, is great works fine. However I have ordered an XTAR, as they reckon their charger will reset the overdischarge circuit on lions, wasn't able to do this with either my cheapo oem chargers or the nitecore D4.

I think I need more than one battery, as well !

@all, so beyond first impressions, subox mini kit :

+ great kit, everything one needs to get started with serious vaping
    + like sub ohm, but happy at low watts with smallish clouds so far
    + it's neat, compact, and seems very well constructed
    + vapour after fiddling with airflow and wattage can be got to a pretty nice stage, 40+ watts was getting a little hot for my taste and <20w starting to be a little cold and tasteless
    + good idea to include RBA, although dunno whether I have the time to be making coils, will have to see how long premade ones last. However it's a handy backup, with how situation in Thailand is
    + black love it, hopefully this type of finish on stainless steel
    is "permanent" and will last some wear and tear
    + price, good to see discounts factored into purchasing a kit, 2300thb, not bad at all
    - with battery it's a little heavier than my previous CE4s (obviously), but I think unavoidable considering materials used and quality
    - continually worried about dropping the glass part of the tank, so I do handle with care
    - larger drip tip was a bit odd at first, but getting used to it
    - instructions a little bit difficult to follow on included leaflet, but I got there eventually
    - no spare o rings/seals
    - not top filling

Would I recommend to a friend ? So far, yes, most definitely, I think it's a good deal and equipment will hopefully last a while.

Currently vaping mango 6mg nic, on 0.5ohm Kangertech included coil @25w ... Dunno PG/VG ratio, writing is too small on bottle ...

Oh, and haven't smoked a cigarette since my subox mini kit arrived !

Next purchase - might just buy the same again, which gives me second tank, spare mod, second RBA ... Also heard lot of good things about Uwell crown ... And tempted by the rx200, but not sure I want to enter that pissing competition, or buy the three batts needed, for now I'm happy with smoking replacement.

farangmick likes this.
  4. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

What pissing competition? It's only like that when people want to make it so. No point over here as there is no outlet socially to show your clouds. As I said in another thread, I am getting an RX200 for 2 reasons only. 1. I can heat the coils quickly in temp control and then let the mod lower them to the required wattage for that coil and temp, and 2. 3 x 18650 is going to give me a massive vape time and cut down on battery changes, something that at the moment is a real pain in the posterior.

Something to consider witgh the sub tanks is thaqt the build deck chamber is small. On many other sub ohm tanks it tends to be substantially larger, with more airflow as well. This will lower the temp of your vapor and make it possibly more palatable to you. That is my main reason for not using subtanks any more.

I use my sub ohms at 40W atm and that gives me a fairly cool vape on a dual coil around .4-.6 ohm. (subject to the tank juice and Gauge kanthal) But then I have need a good dense vape to satisfy my needs and keep me off the analogues. Very different when I began vaping a couple of years ago.

Gotta say you have gone to a real nice upgrade from the egos and ce4's. I truly wish this tech had been around when I started out. I may never have gone to driping at all and just stayed on tanks. lol Enjoy…and if you find building your own coils is your preferred way to vape maybe consider getting that Crown or one of the many other excellent tanks out there atm.

5. Scuba Vaper

Firstly, if you get to know me a little, sometimes I'm outspoken purely for fun, so wasn't meaning to upset anyone, just my sense of humour. Do take me with a pinch of salt, most of the time I'm not all that serious anyway.

The rx200 might "future proof" my vaping for a while, and I like the look of it too ...

However 3 bats will be heavy, and not as compact, and as for longevity of vaping time, 3 batts used individually would serve the same purpose and be more flexible arrangement, what with "married bAtteries" having to replace all three at the same time ?

And less watts for a satisfying vape, presumably means longer battery life and less recharges. So, whilst I don't know all the facts, a smaller chamber might be an advantage, in terms of efficiency ?

As for startup times, I'm not as yet experienced enough to know whether I need that or not ;) I like the idea of "purer" metals in the coils for health reasons, but don't know whether temp control is something I want or need. Time will presumably solve this in vaping arena, as people weed out inferior technologies, as they have done already with things like top coils on CE4s, silica and fibreglass wicks ... Etc ...

The RDA/drippers I've heard are good for trying out liquids, so I might get one just for that purpose. My last batch of liquid was 11 bottles, and a pain to decant the previous one to fill with the new ... RDA I could just drip a few drops, try, and then move to the next, 11 bottles would have been minutes rather than hours ?

I'm just getting started really, so all feedback and advice is helpful, appreciate you taking the time ... Please though don't ever take me seriously, I don't myself, too much.

Subox working for me much better than CE4, so happy bunny I am :) happy NY

6. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

You read the post with the wrong tone. lol None of that was meant as anything other than an attempt at being helpful and explaining why you may, and only may, get a better vape from a different set up than the sub tank basewd on what you were saying about heat and loss of flavour. Basically a different tank may suit you a little better if you decide to go on building coils. Thats all. RX200 is my personal preferences for why I am getting one. I don't mind the weight and size. I have a definite use for it in my rotation of mods. You have different needs and desires fort your vape than me and I respect that.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  7. Scuba Vaper

All cool my friend, communications are by cooperative negotiation between sender and receiver and equally the responsibility of the sender and the reciever ... And I understood your intentions perfectly, I was a forum moderator for a number of years, so little escapes me, except where I'm being dumb or lose the ability to read, which after all we're all only human :)

You're much more experienced in vaping than me, so advice and suggestions are valuable, and helpful. So much appreciated your comment, especially in response to my little bit of fun poked at cloud chasers ... Which I may become myself, as yet I don't know ;)