1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Still trying to quit totally

Discussion in 'The Thailand Quit Smoking Discussion' started by Xilver, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Xilver
    Cool

Xilver Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Yep. While I do agree, being a very newbie to this. I am still learning and watching you tube vids to see what is going on.

Yes, I am using mech mod using a battery. And Yes, i still don't know the workings around ohms, watts, voltage. I am vaping what is given to me by the experienced French friend. So far.. no problem. Thanks for heads up.

That is 1 of the reason why I have not dived into buying the Istick 50w as I don't even know what to do with it. I am still a noob to this.

Have not gotten anymore know how since my French tourist friend left Thailand. Well, I will need more research and learn along the way till I know exactly how these things work. I dont even know how much wattage is my battery now.

Will take heed on your advise to learn more before i lose a hand. Thanks

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

It's a regulated mod so there's a lot more protection built into it than a mechanical mod (which just delivers the available battery power directly to the atomizer). You set the watts (or volts) level you want and the mod delivers just that much power.

Your battery has a maximum of 4.2 volts available if it's charged properly (although it's called a 3.7 volt battery). A mechanical mod is governed by ohm's law (on-line calculator). The available battery voltage and the resistance of your atomizer determine how many watts will be delivered. If you don't have an ohm meter to check the resistance of your atomizer coil, you should pick one up asap (Big's Ohm Meter).

Always vape safely!

Tibo likes this.
  3. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

As Siam Diesel already said it's a regulated mod. As a newbie the big problem will be to figure out the battery safety for the mechanicals. In short. If your resistance on the coil is low the battery is putting out high Amps (ampere) to the coil. Not all batteries can handle the high Amps, and in the worst case senario, the battery might get very hot and even went, and here is the problem. So only use some batteries that can handle around 30 Ampere or more.

A regulated mod like the istick 50 watts, has all the security build in. If the tank has a short, it will protect you, if your coil is too low in resistance, it will not fire and so on. So for a newbie it is a lot safer to use a regulated mod in the beginning, until he gets the knowledge to handle mechanics. And with an istick 50 Watt it can handle all kind of tanks regardless of what kind they are.

etlava, PattsVaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Just stick to a regulated mod like the iStick for the beginning.

Then learn from it and move to mechanical mod if you want. But not before you know what you are doing with the batteyr, the coil, ohm's law and perfectly set up the washing machine (separate the colors, for god sake !)

Safety first @Xilver. You stopped smoking, now you have your entire life to try everything so don't rush it :)

etlava, PattsVaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. Xilver
    Cool

Appreciate you guys giving so much helpful information. Its amazing!

1.5 days without ciggies now ( except the 3 puffs I took last night). Today I feel ok. Not fantastic but at least no real big urge to smoke any ciggie at all.

Will take all your good advise.

Continue my learning from all of you vaping masters.

PattsVaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Well-Known Member

I was the same, for about 2 weeks I would think. Now I do drink sometimes (especially if I haven't for a while and I vape a lot), but I don't have that dry throat I felt the need to drink to clear after every hit for the first 2 weeks. Usually now I can vape fine without water or anything else. For the first 2 weeks-1 month I always had some kind of candy/throat lozenge with my vape gear in case I didn't have water.

I stress giving yourself some time to get adjusted because that does improve a ton with time. After a month or so, you can start playing with PG/VG ratio if you are still having issues, but you should be a lot more comfortable vaping by then.

Good advice given about mods. If I were you I would buy an istick 50 and toss your mechanical mods in a drawer for an emergency because I think you will love the istick.

Siam Diesel and Tibo like this.
  7. yourauntbob
    Happy

yourauntbob hair club for men member

this is part of my concern. coils can shift especially when changing out the cotton. or there could be other issues which create a short (circuit) in the future even if your ok at the moment. without having something to test it on to make sure your could be taking a real risk. as has been stated above, buy the istick ASAP so even if you like the mech, you will have something that can read the ohms and let you know if something is amiss.

etlava, PattsVaper, Tibo and 4 others like this.
  8. David in Bangkok

Do you know how to test ohms or make a coil?

He makes a really good point, the istick50 would not only be a big improvement, but a lot safer as well. At the very least you NEED an ohm reader with an RDA, the istick50 has it built in.
    Be careful if your mod ever feels hot stop immediately. You must know how to change the wick right? I have changed the ohms just by being a beginner and being sloppy changing the wick. It does strike me as a little scary to use a mech mod with an RDA without having any idea what you're doing...
    **Updated**
    You also don't NEED the istick. If money is an issue you may be able to find an older model for cheaper, and really any regulted mod would do.

Tibo likes this.
  9. Xilver
    Cool

Taking your advise, I have already made order for istick 50w but kayfun4 will need to wait for about 2 weeks to come. So, I will use the rda with istck 50w when it arrive.

Meantime, I have not smoke any ciggies for 2 days now. How do I feel? I am still not sure. Sometimes, I do feel like haveing a stick but that feeling is quickly gone once I vape with nice clouds of vapor. I kind of enjoy the big clouds.

I am running out of the Lucena Five Pawns my friend gave me. I am really hoping to find a same replacement. I saw it in Malaysia. Any one have any problems importing these to Thailand for personal comsumpttion? Like 2 to 3 bottles?

Yes, I know how to change wick coil. Just still learning about the technical stuff.

Anyway, I will ask more questions if you guy dont mind once I get hold of the istick (if there is still stock).

Siam Diesel likes this.
  10. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Big has stock of the iStick and thai vendors have stock of KF V4. All delivered in 24h if you need.

2 days without cigs. Hats off to you and keep vaping. It wasn't easy for anyone but if we did it, so can you.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I'd suggest using regular air mail with a generic description and a low value. Resist the temptation to use EMS, DHL, FedEX or any other fast delivery option. You'll never see the juice (but TH Customs might send you a thank you note). ;)

12. David in Bangkok

Great news. I think your friend probably set you up well, but he might have not had a regulated mod to give you. Now as soon as you screw on your RDA you can see the ohms listed out for you. Even if you have your friend make the coils, it will be good for you to be able to even just read the ohms.

I don't know about your specific replacement juice, but I do know there's quite a few options in Thailand. If you do import the juice it will likely take a while. I would advise you look into some juice in Thailand, the selection isn't like some other countries, but I have been more than satisfied.

Importation does run a risk, while not extremely large, there's always a chance customs does catch it...

Siam Diesel and Xilver like this.
  13. Xilver
    Cool

Alright.... my istick50w is on the way to Chiang Mai. I am 3 days into non smoking. So far, so good. Vaping more than usual though. Zero urge to pick up or buy ciggie anyway. Its a good sign. Pray it lasts...forever.

Once the istick50w is charged up, I would use with my Dark Horse rda for now. I got myself a ohm meter. Dual coil currently runs at 0.32 ohms. Will try to figure out how much to set the wattage. I still have not got a clue. : )

I will also wait for KFv4 to arrive in 2 weeks so that I can use that instead.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  14. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Just set the wattage to whatever you're comfortable with. Your mech is probably pushing it at between 35-45w depending on voltage drop. I'll guess you'll be around there somewhere on the iStick50.

15. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Well-Known Member

hey xilver--hope u hang around chaingmai as I plan to move up there in a couple 3 months-- be good to have some vaping friends up there.... vape as much as u want--anything get off those killer cigs

-V- and Siam Diesel like this.