1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Still trying to quit totally

Discussion in 'The Thailand Quit Smoking Discussion' started by Xilver, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Xilver
    Cool

Xilver Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Well, I have been reading so many success stories here, its been quite encouraging in many ways.

I smoke 15 to 20 sticks of Malboro Lights for the past over 20 years now. My attempt to quit was for a full month when I had my wisdom tooth taken out many years ago. Then I also tried Duracig which I bought and vaped for a short while. No real attempt to quit though. It was not ble satisfy my need.

Finally, I gave up totally and told myself " I quit quiting!"

So, about 2 weeks ago I met a French guy, he was vaping and showed me all his "toys". I was impressed. They looked so well engineered and shiny. He let me try and I was coughing so bad as the hit throat was strong. LoL.

So, I decided to give it another go and went online to so more research. The french guy told me someone was selling juices and atomisers in Chiang Mai. I helped him track this guy and finally went to visit this Thai guy's home and i got the Dark Horse RDA. He only had that for sale.

Looking around more in the interenet I found this forum and I am very glad I did. Surprised too.
    Now I have not yet fully stop smoking Malboro Lights. But have dropped to maybe 2 or 3 sticks a day. hopefully I can stop it in a couple of days as I am still trying to find a good juice that I really like and stick to it. I am quite impressed that there are some who TOTALLY quit upon first vape. That does take quite a lot of will power. Well done. I guess I am weak. LoL.. I still need my cig fix at this moment. But I do love the smell of Five Pawns' Lucena. I hope I can find a replacement juice close to that soon before I run out of that juice.

Looking at all the tanks and mods and equipments involved, I do see myself to be interested to be having this as my hobby. With that said, I do suspect it is going to burn some hole in my pocket. I like to fix stuff and now just learning all the stuff about vaping.

Anyway, hope to kick cig habbit soonest possible. Will be reading and watching more vids on reviews. It is quite fun actually.

Thanks for reading.

etlava, Richard, farangmick and 6 others like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Good luck on quitting! It's well worth the effort. From what I've read, Five Pawns makes very complex juices with many flavor layers. It's available in Malaysia but not here (sadly). Maybe you'll need to take a trip to KL to grab more.

Scratchy and Xilver like this.
  3. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

It can be a costly hobby indeed but nothing compare to extreme sport or motorsport related hobbies for instance.

What we always advise here, and usually the entire vaping community is not to worry about your budget much for a start. Most of us started with very simple and inexpensive kit. And look where we are now :)

You can stop smoking with a quality set up worth 2000thb. It could last a while but it won't because you'll probably be looking for something else, thinking if that 2000thb help you quit, the 10,000thb set must send you to Heaven ^^ Curiousity has no limits :)

If you have the will, you'll have the results you are looking for. The only people I know who failed in quitting with ecig are the one who did not really wanted to quit for a start. I still have to see a smoker dedicated to quit, fail with vaping.

Oh and keep these 2 or 3 cigs a day as long as you need bro, it's not a race. Just meet us at the finish line, tomorrow or in 3 months, we'll be there to congratulate you.

4. Moog
    No Mood

Moog Well-Known Member

Good luck for you!
    I'm vaping now for 3 weeks and what I did:
    Your supply should be "endless" - if I would be scared that my juice is finished soon, I might not vape enough to get my nicotine and then get me a cigarette.
    For me most difficult is to change my habits and I need something in my hands. Often changing juices, cleaning gear and pressing order buttons helps me to keep my fingers busy :)

5. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

I agree with @Moog on this as well, don't find yourself trapped under the stress of not having enough juice. Because in your mind, 7/11 has endless supply of analog so that's probably where you will go if you run out of juice. That is a risk !

Stock up on juice, it is never lost anyway and you can find very affordable product here in Thailand.

Xilver and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

One other thought...if all you've got is the RDA, you might want to grab a couple of tanks from Micky or Big along with a couple boxes of spare coils. I'd suggest the Aspire Nautilus (or the Mini-N). Great flavor, good capacity and much easier to deal with than a dripper when you're out and about.

Edit: The Nauts won't be any good if you're using a mechanical mod. You'll need a regulated mod for them like the iStick 30w or 50w.

Sent from my P3 Ti

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Xilver and Tibo like this.
  7. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Depending on how much you smoked to begin with I would actually suggest dropping by 5 cigarettes a week, so If you smoked 40 a day reduce to 35 a day for a week, then 30 for a week etc.

I would guess if you're vaping too it would become a chore to smoke so many after a while provided you had decent juice & equipment.

It's about as easy to save money vaping as it is to spend it depending on your interests in it.
    **Updated**
    I gave up straight away, finished my last 2 cigarettes in the morning back in early August and haven't smoked since. I 'only' smoked 20 a day though.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    farangmick and Xilver like this.
  8. Xilver
    Cool

Ok. I am going to give this a serious attempt to stop smoking this time round. Tibo said this is not a race and my French friend also said that there should not be any pressure to quit. However, I do want to give myself a timeline or I will never quit. LoL.

First, I will attempt to stop buying ciggies. Second, which I think will be harder, is not accepting free ciggies offered by clients and friends.

Moog hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that I will need to have something to fiddle with and do with all these things so I will be occupied and not want to pick up a ciggie. Its a habit. However, pressing ORDER button IS NOT the solution. Hahahahaha......

I am currently using a mech mod. I am interested in the Kayfun4 tank which I think looks quite nice. Not too sure if I would buy a hybrid one as I am still in the dark about adjusting ohms, watts and the works (is it that complicated to understand?) . I guess all I want now is just nice thick vapor (but no need to be cloud chaser kind), smooth flavors and enough nicotine to feed my needs.

I will try to learn more about vaping as I follow this forum from all you senior members here. This is a pretty huge forum and there is a lot to read.

Like I mentioned, this is really quite a fun thing to be interested in.

(just quick question. I have been using 6mg juices and felt it to be insufficient. Then I was given another ejuice of 12 mg. The tastes wise was fine. But I am coughing everytime I exhale the vapors. Is the problem with higher mg nicotine? Or the juice flavor that is causing the cough?)

Siam Diesel likes this.
  9. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

French don't lie :wink:

I won't be too worry about this. With a proper set up, you'll be more proud to vape next to them and making them try than wanting to light you one. However if you don't have your stuff with you at that time, yeah, you'll probably smoke again.

When I started, I was so afraid to smoke again that I over packed in vape gear when going out. Now, I am comfortable going out with nothing if it is for less than a day.

With the Dark Horse, and again as I told you in PM, as good as this set up might be, I don't think it is suitable.

IMO one of the thing that makes cigarette attractive is the convenience. You cannot make it more simple than a pack of cig. So if you're set up is a pain to use, especially when you start, dripping, carrying batteries and juices etc.. You'll still be tempted by the cigs.

I'll suggest the same as my fellow members, an regulated mod below Bt2000 and a tank atomizer like a Nautilus Mini (for mouth to lung) or a Kanger Subtank Mini (for direct lung).

With this and your determination, bye bye fcuk*ng cigs !!

readImage.jpg

farangmick, Xilver and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Building coils and cleaning up the unreal amount of mess it generates will be more than enough to keep your idle hands satisfied

11. pierdon
    Relaxed

pierdon Well-Known Member

GL with quitting the cigs. Easier indeed with a juice you really like.

Was that long ago ? More info ? I'm in Chiang Mai too...

Cheers

12. Xilver
    Cool

YES!, when I first saw how "difficult" it was to set up the coil, cut the cotton, twisting so many round parts, I was thinking..heck, all I need is a lighter and I would be puffing away! Its so easy! But I took up the challenge and decided to have fun fixing up the deck. Next thing I knew, my table was full of cutter, small scissors, coils, cotton wools... its was fun. Except that I had to have real ciggies to puff while I prepare the coil and cotton wool for the setup and all. LoL Took me 2 ciggies to complete the task at hand as I was still learning. LoLoLoL...

Hi, this was like just 2 weeks ago. the location of the guy selling his limited choices of e-juice and I think he no longer have anymore atomisers to sell, was opposite near Arcade Bus Station. It is a private house but he is quite good at repairing atomisers. He told me he used to have a shop but he closed it down because its not allowed to be sold anymore in public. If you need more information, you can PM me or if you know of any others selling these in Chiang Mai, please let me know.

pierdon and Siam Diesel like this.
  13. pierdon
    Relaxed

pierdon Well-Known Member

Will PM you Xilver.

Really hoping that we are talking about the guy who used to have a shop that was shut down... His juices were great and it was really convenient to just take the bike to buy some.

For the local sellers, sorry but since he closed, i basically got everything i need from this forum or FT.

14. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

A good vape and the correct nic strength is the key, take your time to find something that keeps you happy vaping then make the choice to stop the cigs. I struggled with flavours, mods and tanks for about 3 months, nothing really worked until I was vaping higher VG, 50%, 12mg nic and a kayfun, you cant cut too many corners as you need to learn what works for you. If you buy a cheep VW mod like the istick 30 and a dripper, to start with I would recomend a origen, omega or Marquis. Then you will learn what you need to keep you happy. A good friend to teach you to coil is also a must. If you dont have help, ask around about replacable coil tanks, most will recomend a subtank with 1.2ohm coil and for good reasons. Good luck and keep asking, the more you tell us about how your doing, the more we can help.

Siam Diesel, Tibo and Scratchy like this.
  15. Xilver
    Cool

Ok. I think i will finish my last ciggie in my Malboro Lights pack tomorrow morning. Mentally preparing not to go buy another pack.

I am still searching for the right juice with the right nic mg. Currently still cough when i vape hard and exhale. I am not sure what gives. 12mg too high for nic? Or too much PG.

Got help from the seller today to recoil my rda to produce more vapor and am satisfied with the result.

In any case hope to be able to pull through the next day after the last morning stick if i light it.

Siam Diesel likes this.