1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Starter Kit Recommendations for New Vapers (NO 'New Poster' Posts!)

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vaping Newbies' started by haybilly, Nov 1, 2015.

1. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Thanks, SD, I have recently been asked by a couple of acquaintances, who are keen to stop smoking to get them a simple set up--my initial thought was a Subtank Mini, which might suit one of the pair, but the second guy has implied that his budget would not cover that sort of set up--Subtank, High Power VV/VW Mod [iStick, maybe] and E liquids--so, I started to look into alternatives--the Nautilus looks great but also isn't that cheap and also requires a bit of power to work it--so, the Protanks or Aspire type Vivi Novas BDC sytem types start to look more possible--and then a power source [around 1300-1600 Mah Vision Spinner, EGO Twist] would be OK.
    God Darnit--I am beginning to dislike being asked that question--"Can you get me one?"

PJosh, Dune1471 and Loki like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Can't beat an iStick 30/50 with a Nauti/N-Mini. Far superior vape experience to a Spinner/Twist w/these earlier clearos. Since this is a sales thread, if you want to continue the discussion, let me know and I'll move these posts to a new thread. ;)

3. haybilly
    Paranoid

It might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to helping Members answer that question--what to suggest a Noobie when asked what gear to buy--or something along those lines--especially when they don't want to pay too much.

etlava, farangmick and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

^^^ Yep, agree...I'll set up a thread when I get back to my computer this afternoon (in BKK on my iPad now).

Edit: set up a new sticky thread in Vaping Newbies. Have at it folks.

What are the best starter kits/gear for new vapers?

Konvict and haybilly like this.
  5. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

Two friends of mine asked the same question...they both started out on the eGo One/Mega which is a fairly good budget starting point...one is now one the eVic Mini and the other on a Subtank Mini. I wouldn't recommend a Subtank Mini for a noob as it has too much air for MTL. Luckily for me my first tanks were an Aero Tank and a Mini Nautilus...if the Subtank had been the first one I'd have failed at the first hurdle (I still have a Subtank and still can't get on with the feckin thing).

Siam Diesel, haybilly and taotoo like this.
  6. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

Hocked up a friend with a Knager Kbox mini starter kid fro 65$ comes with the sub tank and 2 coil heads and the RBA section. He was very happy with it coming from an SVD and eGo One. I think the different options on the sub tank with 0.5,1.5 coil heads and the RBA section with pre build coils and cotton in the set gives beginners the chance to try out a variety of vape stiles and the Kbox supplies enough power for it.

haybilly likes this.
  7. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

That's the point...if you start with the eGo One or Mega (or something similar) you can switch between the 0.5 or 1.0 coils without having to know about Watts or Voltage and work out what you like...once you've passed that initial stage you will have a better idea of where to go next

Siam Diesel likes this.
  8. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

IMO a 0.5 coil head is for the eGo One pretty much useless and i recommend a device which has options rather than limitations and if these options are to be discovered or used is up to the seeped of the user but the potential is there at least.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  9. haybilly
    Paranoid

I showed the two guys various options, including the Delta11 and Subtank Mini, but they both opted for the Evod2 kit-- not my choice, I did mention the Nautilus but didn't have one to demonstrate-- for some reason folks seem happier when it looks like the old Ego- style set up-- I did say that it wasn't my favourite Vape, but they didn't seem impressed by any other tanks, time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Siam Diesel and Neilly like this.
  10. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

The beginning of the Vape journey and we all had to make our own experiences. Good on you to share your knowledge but let the newbies decide what they want and it will be only a matter of time until they understand your point:).
    **Updated**
    Just remembered i gave away the IPV V2 with the Veritas RDA to a guy how was interested in quiting cigarettes and start Vaping. I promised him to hock him up and it was the only thing besides the sig 100w i had. I told him to watch you tube videos and gave him some liquid,wire and cotton and a battery. hope he is doing ok :)

haybilly and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I hooked a guy up with an eVic VTC Mini kit just recently. Nice gear but really crappy documentation made it difficult to get him going...wasn't even sure what coils were included. It's too bad Micky and Big don't still have the Aspire starter kits...they were much easier for a beginning vaper.

Konvict, haybilly and Neilly like this.
  12. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

Don't think you can class the eVic VTC Mini or the Subtank kits as starter kits as both need replaceable/external batteries. The iStick 20w with a Mini Nautalus was a good stating point for me...the eGo One Mega isn't a bad starting point IMHO

a_spirit and Siam Diesel like this.
  13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

^^^ I agree but that's what was available...he didn't like the eGo ONE.

Konvict likes this.
  14. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

That's a fair shout I suppose...at the beginning (at least for me) it was finding something that worked 24/7 so that I could stay off the stinkies...I didn't really give a toss what it looked liked just so long as it worked every time I wanted it to.

Siam Diesel and fridgemagnet like this.
  15. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

One thing that I try to explain to the beginners is that, yes you will spend more on a Subox Mini kit, but it is something that you use for a longer time than some of the other starter kits. IMO. You also have an 18650 battery (or 2) that you can use in other devices later. The Subtank Mini is versatile enough for you to start with the at higher ohm factory coils and hone your skills on the included RBA. At the end of the day, as long as you stop smoking cigarettes, it doesn't matter what you choose.

etlava, farangmick, haybilly and 3 others like this.