1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Speed steeping

Discussion in 'General Thailand E-Liquid Discussion' started by David in Bangkok, Feb 21, 2015.

1. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Anyone ever tried heating the juice to steep it quicker? I read a little about it and I'm a little curious, but I also know heat can affect some things like the nicotine content...

What do you guys think/do?

2. kevin bangkok

kevin bangkok Well-Known Member

I watched a chap on utube I think his name is LORDY,he was using a mini blender,and he said don"t
    laugh this takes weeks off steeping his example was if it required 3 weeks,the blender took it down to
    a week,he is a well known blender,famous a little,well on utube he is,the blender made the liquid white
    with the agitation,aeritation,whatever,only done it 10/20sec.he also said heat takes a part.

3. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

nope...honestly most juices don't even need steeping...it's not fine wine. Techincally wouldn't the atomizer speed steep the juice while vaping?

Mack likes this.
  4. colind88
    Devilish

colind88 Well-Known Member

Heat bath and then mini blender. DIY juices ready to vape in 2 hours. Don't microwave.

Photo0007.jpg

David in Bangkok likes this.
  5. David in Bangkok

You mean in an atomizer it would get hot? I guess it's a mixture of heat+agitation though. I use an RDA mostly so that wouldn't work.

I heard some tobacco juices and others needed a long steeping time.

6. David in Bangkok

Never saw a mini blender though lol

7. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

When I started vaping back in 2008/2009 there was a real need to steep some juices because they used natural tobacco extracts and there would be a very serious difference in the taste - these days I don't know of any companies using tobacco extracts anymore. Unless your juice was made the day you bought it or a day or two before there is no real need to steep, although I'm sure there are vaping professionals that will heartily disagree. Tobacco juices today are a flavoring and not extracts.

Take Mack's juices for example. When I order he makes it and I get it within 2 days...I throw them in a dark drawer and they are good to go in about 3 days. But honestly , I have vaped them right out of the mail and they taste just the same. Many people want to tell you that when your juice darkens it's changing the flavor profile but science tells us it's just no so. The liquid becoming darker is just a reaction of air to the nicotine.

Have you ever bought a coke and let it steep? Why not? Because whether you drink the coke out of the box or wait 2 weeks and drink it from the fridge it will taste exactly the same, the flavoring was specifically engineered so that every time you drink a coke it tastes like a coke. I know, you are already formulating your reply stating that some juices do taste different. Yes, they do, but not because of steeping but because of quality control in the manufacturing of the juices.

fillmcavity likes this.
  8. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Because it goes flat... ;)

You're certainly entitled to your opinion...I just don't share it. Mack's Cinnamon Roll tastes great when it arrives and even better after a couple of weeks in a dark drawer. I trust my taste buds and something is happening during that time...maybe the separate flavor components are merging together. When my grandmother was alive, her spaghetti sauce (on which she worked for an entire day) actually tasted better the second day after the ingredients had a chance to really blend together. Something was at work there as is here (or so I believe). Why else would the juice manufacturers tell us that steeping certain of their juices will improve the flavor? It's their product; I choose to believe that they probably know best when it comes to this...YMMV
    :vaping: :vaping:

9. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

real cooked foods are a much different story than synthetic flavoring. The flavoring is mixed and by the time it is used in the juice we vape that is the flavor. When you take pork, tomato, garlic and sugar and mix them together a reaction happens and the flavor profiles change. What you are describing isn't happening in the juice we vape. I know all the juice manufactures say differently but I highly doubt any of them have any kind of scientific background and in most cases their labs are most likely the kitchen. The best reason for a more pronounced flavor over time is most likely due to evaporation and the flavoring becoming that much more concentrated within the juice, which is evidenced in the fact that most steeping methods call for the juice to sit uncapped allowing evaporation to take place.

10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on this...

11. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

Ill leave the steeping question up to each individual, however over the first 3-4 days theres a big change with some flavours, fruits, beverages and tobacos that can be harsh straight after mixing. The darkening is down to the flavouring and not the nicotine. the colour of a nic base stays the same over 2 months, flavoured eliquid starts to darken from day one, well most do. After say 3 days, you biggest worry should be over steeping, a 2 month old opened bottle of most flavours will be very dark and a lot milder than a 2 week old one. Menthol seems to be the exception here, it stays colourless and the same strength of flavour. So my advice is do what you think works for you. I personaly mix a lot in preperation for a month offshore, when I mix it goes straight in the freezer without speeping. The steeping happends naturally as I use each bottle because I use mainly 50 and 30ml bottles and rotate through quite a few flavours. During this process I quite often get to a bottle thats been open for a few months and they get chucked.

12. kevin bangkok

YOu still have my "address" mack.send the chuckys,to me lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Mack likes this.
  13. David in Bangkok

I don't agree that there is no need to steep (although I do take it into consideration and I do think it's true for some flavors, but only some).

One issue is that I heard the nicotine needs time to blend, can't this be tested though? I'd be curious to know if the nicotine levels are more consistent etc after steeping.

While talking with a vendor, it was my understanding that for the juices that needed steeping, they usually had a mix of say 5+ flavorings. Whereas a flavor with less flavorings would require less time to steep.

I really don't know what is correct and what isn't. As far as the first few days/evaporation, I thought that was due to the alcohol in the flavorings needing to evaporate off?

Interesting to hear other opinions, and you may very well be correct, but I guess my experience hasn't been the same...

14. kevin bangkok

That makes sense,with multi/flavouring,I understand the thinking behind that.I have in the past been
    invited to various wine tasting,events ,some of those people there,wow year, country,area,I think
    some people could tell what time of the day they where picked,lol some folks have amazing taste buds
    and that relates to our juices,I sadly fall very short on these atributes,ah well back to the menthol.

15. David in Bangkok

I find I'm the same on the taste buds thing. In fact most juices get a little weaker in the first few days of steeping, most people like this as the flavor isn't so harsh. Personally with my burnt out taste buds I love the super strong flavor and sometimes I'm sure steeping is actually worse for what I want. (although some of the flavor does for sure need to evaporate off sometimes depending on the flavorings used I guess).

kevin bangkok likes this.