1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Some advice on thailand rquired

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by chris snell, Feb 6, 2015.

1. chris snell
    Fine

chris snell Thread Starter crispenator

Hi all well as i have said i will be visiting thailand in june this year mainly centering around the outskirts of bangkok (i think it is the way outskirts) around ramkahang road soi 110 general area . I am bringing my laptop with me so to be bale to keep in contact with friends ect ,what do i need to use it there ,tg has internet connection but i think its dial up not sure as she is not like me that computer savy.
    Also she has said that i need to get a new sim card to be able to work of the comms network to call home to check on parents ect ,also will be visiting her family and friends at different times and taking them to dinner in various parts of the kingdom from pattaya to nong khai is there anything that i need to be aware of .
    One thing i have tried to impress upon her is the need to stick to a weekly budget when doing all this ,at the moment i am wworking on about 750.00 aus per week i suppose what i am asking is wil this be enough ,you guys that live there would have the best idea on this question ,Accomodation is fixed at her apartment and all paid for at pattaya and nong khai as well as air fares to the north so i think i have most bases covered .Any advice will be greatly appreciated , i have a pretty good idea on most of the customs in regards to the culture and will try not to look like a dumb farang but it will no doubt happen .
    Hopefully this is in the right area to put this into and seeing a lot of you guys actually live there you will probably be able to advise better than most thanks in advance.

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

:rolling laugh:
    Budgets...we don't need no stinkin' budgets!

Sorry...couldn't resist! You might as well be trying to explain nuclear physics for all the good it'll do...that's my experience with Thai g/f's and budgets anyway.

haybilly, AI-NAAM and chris snell like this.
  3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

That's about Bt 19k per week...should be fine but depends on how much "fun" is involved...
    That would be surprising...maybe she's using an air card. If so, you may have to invest in a wireless router, which is pretty cheap and can be installed quickly.
    Your Oz sim card will work here but int'l roaming rates can be a killer...definitely a good idea to pick up a local sim for the duration of the trip...bring a 2nd phone if you have one and then you can have both.

I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions shortly.
    :vaping: :vaping:

chris snell likes this.
  4. chris snell
    Fine

Hi guys thanks for the replies ,i have to say i am not a big drinker myself and tg doesnt drink at all . We have talked about what she thinks we would spend say in pattaya for 3 days and she estimates around 10,000 baht ,dinner by the sounds of it is going to be around 2500 baht for her friend and her daughters, brother and mother plus the two of us ,she has to work for some of the time at her supermaret so i am going to be left on my own but she is freaking about me going to far away from her room are her fears grounded ? She has written down how to get to some malls so i can go there ie: which bus to catch what colour it is ect .Should be good when we go to nong khai she has never been on a plane before and i will have video camera handy :pleasure:

Siam Diesel likes this.
  5. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Hmmm, in Patts, a lot depends on where you stay and what you eat. 10K Bt could be a tad low...again, it depends on the "fun" factor (which is not to be underestimated) and whether you get a yearning for a good steak. If you're staying in town, getting around is easy...pick up a map and take the baht buses.

If you give us a little advance notice closer to the time, we'll try to organize an impromptu vape meet. It's usually pretty easy to get a few of us together on short notice.
    :here's your beer:

6. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

hmmm You have talked about what she thinks we would spend? Yeah, never a good idea. You spend what you think is reasonable...don't be an ATM . Of course her fears are grounded. She's freaking out about you being on your own because the massive amount of women available that would all like to spend your money for you.

chris snell and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. PattsVaper
    Lurking

PattsVaper Thailand Vapers Member

Well it sounds like you're pretty green about Pattaya mate. Have you ever been to Thailand before? How long have you known your TG and did you meet in person or online? FYI there are no buses for getting around in Pattaya, everything is baht bus, motocy taxis and walking.

I agree with Talen, she's freaking out about you meeting other girls who want your dough. And for some of us who live here on a pension like me, you do have to care about "stinking badges!" lol

But if you're young and still making big bucks then you have the good fortune to have a higher "fun factor." If your TG is not a pure working girl and has a job in a supermarket then I'd venture to say she earns about 10,000 Baht a month which gets her by to pay rent, food, clothing, entertainment and money for helping her family. That just puts into perspective her estimate of what you'd be spending in 3 days.

Bottom line like SD says is how much fun you want to have and if you want to show her you have "good heart." And Thai girls equate good heart with how much money you spend on them. lol
    I suppose you've heard it already . . . . . "no money, no honey." :cheers2:

Phaitoon, Rowdy, Tibo and 3 others like this.
  8. chris snell
    Fine

Hi guys i have told her that we have to stick to a budget so she will learn fast ,thats what i think she worry about me meeting another girl but i tel her that her fears are unfounded ,as for getting around the friend she knows there actually is the owner of a taxi, lek had two but wrote one of not so long ago coming back from bangkok (fell asleep at the wheel ) or so i am led to believe and accomodation is easy to, as the company she works for has a condo in pattaya so cheap rent for three days 500 baht .Speaking to her tonight she was eating i think susage balls and i told her thats the sort of food i want to eat from small vendors ,so she said i make you macaroni ,i told her i can get macaroni here i want thai food like what thais eat .I will go and see my network provider at some stage soon and talk to them about what i need for my laptop ,as for phone companies is there anyone you guys can suggest for a sim card ,i think she was talking about globe?Ill talk to tg about what is hapening in patts and maybe we can hook up ,ill do the obligatory walking street thing just to say ive been there but as for girly bars i value my manhood to much to venture there
    **Updated**
    Well your pretty right there mate i havent been to thailand before nor patts ,i have been a member of a few forums on thailand one good but others to much negativity , tg and i have been talking on yahoo video for 3 years now and although we havent met in person as such we do talk every night ,her wage is around double of what you have put down as she is a supervisor and has workked there for 20 years this year in fact. as for family she has no parents and her aunty is the closest thing to a mother she has and she to works for the same company in bangkok, all that aside i know very little about thailand in truth just what i have picked up and learned from tg and mates who have been there an of course the old u tube video.

9. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

I'm not being mean here but you need to take it slow and Keep a tight hold of your money period!

In Thailand women of all ages have learned to fish for men on the internet...you may have a very real and good woman but the chances are actually extremely thin. You especially need to keep your heart and mind in sync and separated from your money.

Like most of the guys here I have been coming to and living in Thailand for a long time....we've seen it all and 80% of the women are on the game...when they say women in Thailand are like shooting a fish in a barrel...they usually forget to tell you that it's the Thai women doing the shooting.

yup...you are as green as they come...her fears are far from unfounded when she knows that a hot little 18 year old with a sly smile and a heart shaped ass can pull you from under her nose in a heartbeat just by saying hello.

Submaniac, Phaitoon, kurt and 5 others like this.
  10. BuzzSamui
    Cloud_9

BuzzSamui Well-Known Member

Chris: your steep learning curve will occur in June 2015 ... good luck bro and enjoy the ride mate !

This spells DANGER to me:

"dinner by the sounds of it is going to be around 2500 baht for her friend and her daughters, brother and mother plus the two of us..."

11. glenn

glenn Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be surprised if the brother is the husband the kids are hers and mother is there to validate the whole charade .And the thing about the supermarket having a condo for staff in pattaya is rather suss as well.Sorry to say we who live here know the bullshit stories these women tell.Be a man and learn to say no .Not sorry for being cynical .And remember decent girls dont shack up with a strangers .

12. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

My advice would be to come here but not bother meeting her.

"Cruel to be kind..."
    **Updated**
    What supermarket does she work at in Pattaya? A few members here are local. Send them a picture...

Tibo, chris snell and Talen like this.
  13. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

If your coming to meet a women and her family, read the book "Thailand Fever" before you come. It will give you some insight to what a Thai woman's expectations are.

Your budget is more than enough for a non-drinker. Be aware that when taking a Thai family out that it's likely that more people will show up than you expected. Set your limits, but keep some cash in reserve.

If you've been reading up on Thailand then you should be aware of common scams. When traveling around the country with your GF, have a good idea what things should cost (such as transportation). Thais will overcharge/scam a out-of-town Thai the same as they would a farang.

Come and enjoy your visit, think with your head and keep in mind the warnings about relationship scams. They are real. It's easy to put up a charade over the internet and for a couple of weeks visit.

I would also recommend you spend some of your holiday on your own after your done visiting your GF.
    Don't be afraid to go into the girly bars. You can have a good time chatting up some lovely girls without taking them out.

Good luck and enjoy your trip! :cheers2:
    **Updated**
    Yep. No a very popular Thai value. Their way of thinking is "live for today"!
    :congratulations:

Siam Diesel and chris snell like this.
  14. BuzzSamui
    Cloud_9

BuzzSamui Well-Known Member

you could also go onto thaivisa.com - sign-up, post what you have written here, and see what sort of response you get ... always good to get 2nd, 3rd opinions !

chris snell likes this.
  15. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

I'll never forget the time I went with the ex and her family to tesco years ago...all the aunties came along as well. I told my girlfriend I would pay for what her mama needed as we were staying there and eating the food etc. all in I paid 2000 baht then went outside to smoke a cigarette while the auntie train went through checkout. They sent my girlfriend out to get me when I asked why she sheepishly said had to pay. I laughed and told her to tell her aunties to go find their own buffalo because this buffalo ain't paying for their old asses. That was an awkward ride home with all the pissed off aunties...but it was a learning experience as I learned new words such as ki-niow and pee baa :rolling laugh:

Submaniac, haybilly, kurt and 2 others like this.