1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

SMOK Alien 220w has Died

Discussion in 'Vaping Technical Issues' started by Jazz2017, May 15, 2017.

1. Jazz2017

Jazz2017 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hey all, I'm reaching out to the Alien users amongst us primarily, but anyone in general.

I have a Smok Alien 220 and love(ed) it until yesterday, I woke up, popped in my batteries, turned it on, had a toot and sat it on my table to make my coffee. Standard morning.

When i came back it was off. I turned it on, and it turned off again when i pressed the button. I took out the batteries and checked them in my external charger, 90% full. tried different batteries that were 100% full and nothing. It will not turn on at all, its completely bricked.

As you will see from the picture, a groove has developed on the battery door where there is a spring loaded pin. I am not too sure what this pin is for but the screen does flash pixelated briefly when I put pressure on the battery door but only briefly and that's the most life i have had out of it in 24 hours. I am super frustrated. My UK vendor hasn't responded to my emails, and neither have SMOK. I will give them the benefit of the doubt since it was a Sunday.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea how to fix it? youtube and google have been no help at all.

Thanks.

Kev.

image1.JPG

Capture.JPG

2. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

Put a very small shim in there. That little pin is a safety, and the plastic on the door is worn down. A shim should do the trick.

Konvict, Jazz2017 and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. Jazz2017

Easier said than done but i like your thinking. Thanks :)
    **Updated**
    Thats another thing thats so annoying about this, I have only been using the alien for 2 weeks. Do they all do this?

debatedude likes this.
  4. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

@Kevin Christie

Try these clips mate.. maybe a firmware issue ?- could be wrong..

Siam Diesel likes this.
  5. Jazz2017

Thanks @weaver93 i spent the day yesterday looking for solutions, and did see these videos but unfortunately you cannot upgrade the firmware with a MAC which is what i have. I'm away from home working and my work computer which is a windows PC has the USB ports disabled for security. so I'm kinda snookered on that front.

Fingers crossed this is the problem and a firmware update might fix it, when i can get onto a normal PC.

I will be going round the work camp tonight trying to blag a windows laptop off someone, and will update once i can try the upgrade.

Siam Diesel and moonoy93 like this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Time for the dual-boot solution via Bootcamp... ;)

Konvict and Jazz2017 like this.
  7. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

Check this out mate..

Updating on a Mac..

think i'll be able to update the smok alien firmware on my mac via Parallels running Windows10, or is it the usb port on the mac itself that isn't compatible? : electronic_cigarette

Siam Diesel likes this.
  8. Jazz2017

That might well be the answer, I should really have thought about this, maybe my mind blocked it out because i deleted my virtual box partition 2 months ago thinking i would never need it again hahaha.

Top of the class gents, thanks again.
    **Updated**
    Update to the above, I found someone in the office with read / write access on the USB ports, i thought my prayers were answered, but alas, the computer would not even acknowledge the existence of the poorly Alien Mod. It might need to be sacrificed and replaced after two measley weeks of use, shame on you SMOK Shame on you.

On a brighter note, I feel a new thread coming on. "WHAT SHOULD I REPLACE THE ALIEN 220W WITH"????? :lost it:

Konvict, moonoy93 and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

I can answer that right now...even though I don't have one yet I would go for the Reuleaux Predator 228. It is a dual battery mod and it also can be used as a powerbank, which is great if you travel in and out of Thailand.

I have two Reuleaux and both of them I didn't have any problems with!

debatedude, Siam Diesel and Jazz2017 like this.
  10. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

Not sure about the Predator. Seems to be a lot of issue with the 510 connection popping out. Might be just a few knuckle heads mistreating it or a batch of bad ones. Though quite a few seem to have the atty fall of without any warning along with the 510 threads. Being in Thailand and not having any real warranty I'd not take a chance. Shame, liked the look of it myself.

Konvict and Jazz2017 like this.
  11. Jazz2017

That would be a No for the wizmec Predator 228. they have a lot of problems with the 510 connection coming straight out of the mod. they are press-fit 510 connectors and not very well made. Which is a shame. Im leaning towards the tesla Nano 120W steampunk, or the iJoy Capitain PD270 234W, which seems to be a better made competitor of the alien 220W and predator 228W. and you can run it on either 20700 batteries or 18650 batteries. Only problem is that its not out yet. And i have no idea when it will be out exactly. just says mid May in the US.

12. Nakhonsisean

I have the Tesla 120 Steam Punk. Love the thing. But you had better like a heavy mod!

Jazz2017 likes this.
  13. Jazz2017

Yes i do, that's one of the things that appeals to me. Which colour do you have? I like the look of the black one, but I get the feeling its not going to be as dark as the pictures make out.

14. Nakhonsisean

Bought the brass one. Have it in my hand now with a little Serpent RDTA on it and it feels heavier than my RX200s with a the big Griffin 25+ in the other.

Jazz2017 likes this.
  15. Jazz2017

I do like it a lot, it will probably be the easiest one for me to order as I am in Kazakhstan at the moment and head back to the UK for 2 days only at the end of the month then back to Kazakhstan for another 6 weeks before coming home. and after using drippers and BIG ASS sub ohm tanks for 2 weeks, my little kanger subvod stealth vape is acting as my emergency back up but its just not cutting the mustard anymore.

Nakhonsisean likes this.