1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Report says E-cig use up among US teens

Discussion in 'E-News' started by David in Bangkok, Apr 17, 2015.

1. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Seems like this is big news, here is one article:
    E-Cigarette Use Triples Among U.S. Teens in 1 Year

This is obviously not good news, but it is quite twisted.

"This is the first time e-cigs have surpassed in teen popularity every other tobacco product, a trend that CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden called "deeply alarming.""

BUT

"There has been no decline in overall tobacco use among teens, so it appears that newer products like e-cigarettes and hookahs are offsetting traditional products like cigarettes, cigars and smokeless tobacco, the CDC reported in its April 17 issue of the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report."

So teens are picking the smarter alternative when they want nicotine and would otherwise have used a different method. Just like teens use tobacco before they are 18, it would only be natural to expect they would use ecigs (and although it would be a less harmful method, the US is obviously on the abstinence thought so any use is going to be a negative for ecigs).
    This is just going to be more reason to tighten restrictions on the sale of juice etc. So far, I don't know of many age restrictions on buying juice. When I wanted to sign up for coupons from a tobacco company in the US, I needed to send a copy of my driver's license proving I was 18. I have not had any request like that ever when purchasing juice, but now I am expecting it will come around eventually. Will be annoying, but I guess it's probably necessary even though I'm sure the teens will get their nicotine fix either way.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  2. PattayaIELTSTeacher
    Breezy

PattayaIELTSTeacher Well-Known Member

Siam Diesel likes this.
  3. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

First I don't know what CDC stands for the only C I know is CCR and I also don't know Dr. Tom Frieden. He must be a doctor of some kind I guess. And sorry Mr. Frieden ("Peace" in German) give no peace and come with this report. I noticed that they now count e-cigarettes and hookahs as tobacco products. Otherwise there should have been a decline in the use of tobacco products. Maybe they meant nicotine products, because I also read that the use of nicotine chewing gum also is way up, but again funny, that that no one rings the alarm bell for this, maybe because it really is a fight for Big Pharma and there shiddy chemicals instead. I think that is the real case here.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Centers for Disease Control & Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia...a US government organization.

Dieter. likes this.
  5. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

"...making the nicotine-delivery devices the most popular tobacco product now used by American teens,..."

Idiots...they got the first part right but then completely cocked it up by calling them 'tobacco products'. There are no tobacco products in the juice we vape...only nicotine!

Dieter. likes this.
  6. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Seems like they're just using semantics to emphasize their point even when unethical.

If people really read this correctly, it's nothing shocking or alarming really.