1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Help Recurrent "meh" taste on RTA...

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by pierdon, Sep 5, 2015.

1. pierdon
    Relaxed

pierdon Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm encountering a recurrent problem while trying to slowly switch from disposable coils to rebuildable devices.
    I have a Rose RTA which i never really enjoyed and here is why:
    Wathever the juice i put in there, i always have "meh" taste... I can't really describe it. It's not a burn taste, but a bit more like metallic kind of taste.

I can roughly taste my juice but a lot less flavour as in my Nautilus. And i know that it should be the opposite.
    So, the juice is not the problem as i tried with many juices that are fine in other devices.
    I'm using some Fiber Freaks, which is supposed to be great... So i don't think it's the problem neither.
    I tried to completely wash the tank several times but it does not help.

I suspect that the problem might come from the coils i'm using. I'm lazy (and bad) at making coils so i purchased those from FT: $4.16 Authentic Kanthal A1 Nichrome Pre-Coiled Wires for RDA Atomizers (50-Pack) 50-pack - 0.6ohm / 0.46mm dia. (25 AWG) / 15*15mm leads at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

-> Would it be possible that the bad taste just comes from the heating coil which might be of poor quality ?
    I'm waiting for a Subox to come in the vapemail and i heard that it worked very well with the RBA base. So, yeah, i really would like to use my Rose and my upcoming subtank and enjoy it.

Your help is appreciated.

Cheers :)

2. judas
    Amused

judas Lethargic Member

The link states kantal/nichrome which is not possible, it's one or the other. Just read a discussion thread there and they say FT support confirms coils are nichrome. I know a lot of people can't tell the difference between both but I can detect an "off" taste from the nichrome and would never use it again. You can read many threads on fora about the unpleasant taste with it.

3. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

I watched a vid yest from PBusardo, he'd done a coil with Nichrome by accident and couldn't work out why the 'taste' was bad in the tank he was reviewing...switched to a kanthal coil and all was good in the world once more [​IMG]

Siam Diesel and pierdon like this.
  4. pierdon
    Relaxed

Thanks guys, makes sense !

5. BKKPOO

BKKPOO Well-Known Member

The RBA with the Subox is great (but i only have experience with this RBA). I can say that the amount of cotton you use does also have an affect on taste of the vape.

Up until now I've only used kanthal. but I just got some 316 stainless steel wire. re-coiled and rewicked last night. there is definitely a slight difference in taste between kanthal and 316ss. So I agree that the coil material affects taste.

I will report back later on the 316ss after I use it more and switch back to kanthal to test again.

I am still researching to see if vaping with 316ss is safe. lol.

6. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

Fiber Freaks is superb -IMO, Could be too much cotton is 'strangling' the coil... also, try to do a 'dryburn' on the coil, to get rid of the residue on the coil. For cleaning tanks, I use an Ultasonic cleaner with either Milton sterilising fluid, or cheap vodka would be an alternative..

7. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

I would advise you to increase the length of your coil, @pierdon . More surface gives a better strength in flavor. You'll have to increase the power a bit because of the ramp up though, but nothing inconvenient.

For quite some time I tried to have the shortest coil to get power very fast from a compact build. Unfortunately I realized I was losing the flavor. By using thicker gauge and more wraps, I give more surface to the coil, increasing the flavor.

In your case, I would try 24ga instead of 25 and add more wraps. You could also increase the diameter of your coils. I am not sure which res you are targeting but I remember you don't subohms much, correct ?

Let's say you want to make a 0.8ohms dual coil. You could choose among these two options :

1) 25ga wire : - 3mm diameter
    - 14 wraps

2) 24ga wire : - 3mm diameter
    - 17 wraps

You should get a better flavor with the 24ga wire, at least I do :) Of course, the lower the gauge, the more wraps, the more room you need. Try to build to the limit (in size) of your chamber.

This is only an idea, it worked for me, mostly in RDAs though but the principle is similar. The wick also has a major influence as everybody said. A good combination of the coil and the wick should give you a great improvement.

Please let us know :)

8. pierdon
    Relaxed

Does someone buy his Kanthal from FT ?
    If so could you point me towards what would be a good choice ?
    I'm planning to use it mainly for builds on the Rose and on the subtank to make coils between 0.4 and 1.0 ohm.
    Your help is appreciated.
    Thanks

9. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

One of each for the builds you are interested in. Note the 24ga if you really have a target of 0.4 ohms for the subtank and don't want to do something like twisted coils.

$3.31 Authentic Kanthal A1 Resistance Wire for Rebuildable Atomizers - 28 AWG / 0.32mm*10m / 5.5ohm/cm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$3.23 Authentic Kanthal A1 Resistance Wire for Rebuildable Atomizers - 24 AWG / 0.511mm*10m /6.92ohm/m at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    **Updated**
    Forgot to mention that I found that for the Rose, getting downwards near 1.0 ohms and the tank gets warm pretty quickly. I usually stayed around 1.2 ohms and even then she gets warm with mild chain vaping. For approximately 1.2 ohms 28ga is about perfect with a 2.5 mm ID and 6 wraps. You could go 26ga if aiming for 1.0 ohm and that would put you at about 8 wraps on a 2.5 mm id.