1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Rebuild Protank coils- bad taste

Discussion in 'Modifications and DIY' started by Stuart, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Stuart

Stuart Thread Starter Well-Known Member

When i rebuild my pro-tank coils they always taste bad. The pre made coils from Fasttech also taste bad. Any tips or ideas?

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Firstly, :welcome:

You could try wiping down the wire with rubbing alcohol before making the new coil and/or running a few low power pulses through the coil before wicking it.

You might try boiling them and/or soaking them in vodka before wicking.

In both cases, you're probably tasting something left over from the wire manufacturing process.

3. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

This is meant to add to @Siam Diesel reply, he's much more knowledge than I to draw on.

Can't comment on the wire itself, other than I know this can vary, and I've read Kanthal is favoured over Nichrome, Fasttech coils are Nichrome from what I understand. But I think they are both made with very similar materials, and these are just opinions I've read, not facts.

My experience has been with building coils, that I warm them up a bit to red glow, when they are installed. This seems to produce a little smoke, which I think will be oils or crap on the wire burning off. I do this a few times to "make sure". Then there's some kind of oxidisation layer forms.

Obviously I'm assuming you've fitted and tested the coil correctly, plenty online and in youtube about how to fit coils and test them.

Wick it with organic cotton, or I think silica is preferred to fibreglass, as silica is more "robust", in some atomisers.

I'm starting to "throw away" the first few vapes, take them into my mouth and blow out. Short vapes. These I found made me cough off of a new coil, so coil may still be "settling in", or "other contaminants" may be being purged off the coil and wick. After that my Kanthal coils seem to taste fine.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  4. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

I don't read in your process if you are shocking the coil with water.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  5. Scuba Vaper

Only if I'm building the coil whilst Scuba diving, and that'd be brine as I mostly dive in the sea ;)

Siam Diesel likes this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

FT has trouble getting the descriptions right...most of their pre-made coils say Kanthal/Nichrome, which isn't possible! The FT coils I linked to in another thread are definitely Kanthal A-1. IIRC Nichrome isn't magnetic while Kanthal is so it's an easy way to test the compostion.

FWIW Nichrome is usually 80% nickel/20% chromium by mass (Wiki link). Kanthal A-1 is a ferritic iron-chromium-aluminium alloy (FeCrAl alloy) with the following composition (link):
    upload_2016-1-14_16-8-47.png

A good comparison of the 2: Differences Between Kanthal and Nichrome Resistance Wire

7. Scuba Vaper

This is all news to me, and would, probably, make me consider buying the premades from FT as opposed to making my own ... for the 1500THB coil making kit, I sure can buy a lot of premade coils ! ... and I was totally off on the metal composition, thanks @Siam Diesel , I'm still learning !

PS, now which gauge wire and how many twists is the next conundrum :)

Siam Diesel likes this.
  8. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

The Coil Master kit is great...and you can never have enough tools (that's the excuse I used when I bought it). :p

As for wire gauge, get some 26 ga. & 28 ga. for sure...maybe 30 ga. and/or 24 ga., too...wire is cheap. The lower the gauge, the thicker the wire (yeah, a bit counterintuitive) and the more wraps you need to hit the resistance you want.

For number of wraps, this site is very good: Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Neilly and Scuba Vaper like this.
  9. Scuba Vaper

thanks SD ... Steam engine I got my head round now ... Have 1m each of similar sizes bought from local vendors ... As for tools, well I haven't been sure I was staying in Thailand so tried not to buy too much stuff ... Still living the same even though been here nearly 4 years ! And prolly still here in another 4 ... And yes wire gauges very backwards !

Siam Diesel likes this.