1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Proposed Thai Laws for Vaping in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by glenn, Jun 11, 2016.

1. santaclaus

santaclaus Well-Known Member

Me and my friends got stopped at a night checkpoint on Sunday morning around 2am on the Klongtoey intersection. We were traveling in a taxi and all everyone had to get out to empty our bags and pockets. I took my stuff out on top of the taxi and the copper didn't care about my e-leaf pico. I started joking with the cop in broken Thai, telling we work here etc. and he quickly lost interest in searching my stuff.

Another cop on the other hand got interested in my frieds' e-cigarette and started telling him it's illegal. I walked up to him, told him politely that I know the law and it's not illegal. He smiled and told me, "OK, explain me the Thai law". I smiled back and told him they are illegal to sell and import, but not possess. The cop replied that they are legal to use at home but not legal to carry with you in public. I replied, "oh we are sorry, we didn't know about this.. I actually just watched a high ranking cop tell on the TV that they're legal to have on you. You know, we just want to stop smoking cigarettes because they're very bad for your lungs." The cop laughed and let us continue our journey without any issues.

ninja899, Jazz2017, Fastoche and 5 others like this.
  2. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Thx for sharing your experience, you were quite lucky, either because you speak and obviously understand Thai or were so polite. It would be interesting to know when actually this high ranking cop was on TV telling officially, that its legal to carry vape gear with us, even in public. Perhaps you remember when it was?

3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Somewhere back in this thread is a video of a high-ranking police officer saying exactly that. I’ll try to link it in the morning to see if it’s the same one that @santaclaus had watched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowdy and Sue like this.
  4. fillmcavity
    Angelic

fillmcavity Serial Vapist

You mean this one:

It was published on 29 July 2016

Rowdy, Siam Diesel, Sue and 1 other person like this.
  5. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

That’s the one...thanks @fillmcavity!!

Rowdy and fillmcavity like this.
  6. santaclaus

santaclaus Well-Known Member

I think we were lucky too, because it would have been an easy way for them to get some money from us. Since we were just enjoying our night on our way to a club, I think if they had asked us for money we'd have just paid up. But I find that being nice with the cops can work, I had the same experience sometimes when breaking the traffic laws. E.g. I got stopped after using an underpass prohibited for bikes, but started telling the cop in Thai that I had no other option because it's a hot and sunny day and otherwise my skin will get brown! he laughed so much that he had to let me go :p

I also posted a few months back when I got hand searched on Soi 13 on NYE, police didn't give my mod a second look as he was looking for drugs. Would be a little ironic if he did though, because the market selling e-cig stuff is right next to their tent on Sukhumvit xD

ps. yeah that was the video I was talking about exactly. It can be good sometimes to pretend to know more because it's not suprising that Thai cops don't always know the laws themselves!

Rowdy, ricsmart001, SooKee and 4 others like this.
  7. ninja899

ninja899 Well-Known Member

Successful exit from Krabi yesterday. Tank removed from mod and drip tip removed from tank.

Rowdy, Jazz2017 and Fastoche like this.
  8. fillmcavity
    Angelic

fillmcavity Serial Vapist

Vape gear available from Lazada:
    LazadaSmok.jpg
    Have the rules changed and nobody told us? As far as I know, if you buy from Lazada, you also pay the tax.

Rowdy, moonoy93 and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yep, 7% VAT. ;)

upload_2018-4-19_13-7-54.png
    New take on household security! :D

Hope these aren't the SMOK sticks that self-combust!!

Rowdy and fillmcavity like this.
  10. Jazz2017

Jazz2017 Well-Known Member

They also sell poker chips on Lazada. They never arrive. Three times I tried to buy. Three times they give me a full refund because they cannot be delivered.

Rowdy and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

:rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:
    WSOP App works great on the iPad, though. :)
    :very good:

Rowdy and Jazz2017 like this.
  12. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

The only possible reason for this is that they sell to other countries. I have ordered from them and received the item in 110V. If they were Thailand only that would not be possible. In fairness they managed a very quick refund.

Rowdy, jpr, Jazz2017 and 2 others like this.
  13. ricsmart001
    Breezy

ricsmart001 New Member

You were lucky: not that you should have to rely on luck!

The trouble is that to some extent in Thailand the law is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, ultimately I think it could be bluffed out, but it's always best not to put yourself in a compromising position. And it's also best to buy yourself out of an arrest before paperwork commences.

It stinks- of course it does- but that's really the way it is!

Rowdy and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

There seem to be some exceptional outcomes of such a situation, imho...either you can communicate lets say, in broken Thai (which is almost impossible for tourists), or you always carry a lot of cash in your purse, which is also not common to carry with you, under normal circumstances. Having none of these, lets say, "advantages", you can be sure not to be that lucky as santaclaus. ;)

Rowdy, Bantorvaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  15. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

Saw the below sign at an Air Asia boarding gate (international flight) at Don Muang a few days ago. Clearly making a big thing of no vape gear. I'm pretty sure though that behind the big red cross and the mod there's a power bank?? Have I missed something here, have power banks got banned along the line somewhere? Or I wonder if someone screwed up when making the notice.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk