1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Proposed Thai Laws for Vaping in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by glenn, Jun 11, 2016.

1. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

The thing that I can still appreaciate is I have NO negative comments from the Thai people I know / meet while I'm vaping they are more curious than anything else.

Also I see more and more Thai smokers looking at doing the switch to vaping.

A foreign company I know in my area is allowing vaping inside the premisces as long as you don't blow up clouds (200+ employees with half of them or more foreign).

All hope is not lost but that does not mean you should act stupid.

2. Fastoche

Fastoche Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with this.
    On the other hand.
    I guess it might also depends on your behaviour and where you are.
    I still vape openly in many places in my area of Bangkok (not many tourists, expats and bibs around, especially the one looking for extra money) :
    - outside restaurants
    - inside an half open restaurant where guests are allowed to smoke,
    - in the streets,
    Also in other areas of the city of angels :
    - quite often when I get out of MRT, but I wait to be out of the crowd and walking.
    - in the streets (Sukhumvit included but not where the bib stand)
    - in the smoking areas of shopping centers.
    - at airports smoking areas
    - one smoking area where I should really not vape but when have to spend hours waiting for a stamp, just need to. Seen some Thais doing it also at this place and I'm being extra discreet and quick.
    Behaviour :
    - look around not to do it in front of a bib
    - don't hide, but try to be discreet and not provocative -small mod/atom that fits completely in my hand, no big cloud (sometimes/some places no cloud at all), usually don't vape for long, just a few quick puffs and puts it back in a pocket -depending on where I vape.
    - Try not to disturb people around and pay attention to their reactions.
    Did it for years, just being more discreet since they are making more problems to vapers.
    Maybe I'm just very lucky, maybe I'm stupid, maybe I just don't let (same adjective) laws restraining me from doing what I like (and is a healthier choice) as long as it doesn't arm anyone.
    And if I get caught ? Well I guess I'm ready to pay the price for my "freedom" and it will be probably time to move on to a more friendly place.
    Vape on and be careful and lucky.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  3. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Covered in this thread, too.
    More Thai vape ban propaganda | Thailand Vapers

Public Health England is ready to come present information to the Thai Legislature if they receive an invitation. ;)

5. kevin bangkok

kevin bangkok Well-Known Member

Customs and police make big bucks,the corruption is immence in los beyond what most
    people encounter unfortunatley to my cost............LOL

Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I'm seeing talk in the Thai FB Vape Groups that it soon (now?) may not be allowed to take ecigs on planes when leaving via Swampy or Don Muang...which means that the Security folks manning the scanners are effectively enforcing TH Customs laws (which they've not done up until now). o_O

This would not be good for anyone that needs to travel out of Thailand with vape gear...even tourists that are able to get their gear in may find that outbound, it gets seized (or trashed)! :(

Has anyone else seen or heard anything about this latest development?

@centella4u - have you heard about this?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Fastoche, Rowdy and Konvict like this.
  7. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

If so, another nail in the coffin to stay in Thailand for retirement and maybe even to be here at all.

Rowdy and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. biatch0

biatch0 Well-Known Member

Guess I'll leave a spare mod and tank the next time I go over... although I'm pretty sure that mods (especially box mods) are the only thing that may be easily identifiable on a scan (as opposed to a tank broken down into many pieces). Maybe it's time to look into mods that can be be almost completely disassembled as well... I doubt they'll be able to pick something like that out from a small pouch full of cables and chargers.

That said... I'll probably just get a new mod/tank to leave in Thailand. The most annoying part about this is that I won't be able to vape immediately after I get my luggage when I land at home... where vaping freely is completely permitted.

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Fastoche

Fastoche Well-Known Member

Thanks for information. Hope this bad news could be a fake one and that it won't be confirmed.
    I wouldn't be surprised as it would be going in the general direction.
    Will travel in a neighbouring country soon and if I can't take my gear with me, it gonna be a pain in the ****. Will have to buy some there. Hopefully this country is vape friendly.
    Waiting to see if it is confirmed or not.
    BTW do you have any link to the FB groups where you saw this information ? Feel free to pm it to me if you don't feel like sharing it here.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Konvict likes this.
  10. biatch0

Actually, any chance of copy pasting the relevant messages here... just the content will do. At least the information is shared without any names being named.

(And I'm sure everyone here would appreciate the info)

Sue and Fastoche like this.
  11. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

What about other airports? Phuket etc.

12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Trying to find them again (they were in Thai) would be difficult...if I run across them during my late night FB trolling, I'll post them up. Meanwhile, there's a lot of good information coming out of this public community.
    Facebook

Haven't seen anything but if it's implemented at Swampy & Don Muang, you can be sure it will apply to all AOT Airports sooner or later.

I'm trying to get confirmation from some Thai vapers...if/when they confirm, I will post here.

Konvict and Fastoche like this.
  13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Bad news, campers...it's confirmed that at Don Muang, if Security finds any vape gear during their scan, they're telling (making) people to throw it away! :(

But the next step would be worse...calling the police who would call Customs...and then you're in the TH Court system, or paying a 'fine' to get on the plane. ;)

Be careful folks...

PS - it's not confirmed that this is happening at any other TH airport at the moment.
    :vaping: :vaping:

Konvict likes this.
  14. biatch0

I'm going to assume the worst and guess that this includes both checked/hand luggage. Just wondered what kind of gear they've spotted so far.

I just hope that domestic flights are a little more lenient... so I can at least get a mod/tank in before they start going really nuts. Oh that just gave me an idea... if I CIQ transfer in Don Muang without passing immigration, I wonder if my checked luggage gets the scan.

15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

That's probably the case...but checked luggage is a better bet for concealment as LiIon batteries have been forbidden for a long time.
    Doubtful...same security people doing the scanning. I've been told that all applicable personnel have received a memo about this (my source is trustworthy).

FWIW, I don't think they're specifically looking for vape gear...it's more that if they come across any during the security scans, it gets binned (i.e., no longer acceptable for carrying on a plane...kind of like what China used to do with cigarette lighters [maybe they still do]).

Bottom line...don't travel with anything you don't want to lose!
    :vaping: :vaping:

Sue, SooKee and Konvict like this.