1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Praxis Mod Clone from Fasttech

Discussion in 'Thailand Vapers Reviews By Our Members' started by Rick O-Shea, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea Thread Starter iStick Fanboy

If you can bear watching Rip Trippers videos:
    Although he doesn't address the issues with this clone I suspect they are apparent with the authentic as he seemed to conveniently edit the process of removing and replacing the switch.

$23.95 Praxis Style 18650 Mechanical Mod - stainless steel + brass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I ordered this a few weeks ago immediately when it appeared on FT. There was another version that appeared before but was slightly longer than the authentic , according to the specs, and due to the nature of this switch I waited for a shorter version due to the possibility of a shorter throw.

upload_2015-1-11_14-10-34.png
    The Praxis is an 18650 single tube mechanical mod with a hybrid top cap and bottom firing switch. The SS version I have has a nice brushed finish with tiny grooves on it which are only visible upon close inspection but can be felt and heard when rubbing your fingers up and down it's body. It has four small notches at the top of the tube for battery venting.
    upload_2015-1-11_14-16-45.png
    The switch is this mod's main feature. It has no locking ring, the switch is operated by pushing the switch in and up and takes a bit of getting used to. It's extremely unlikely this will ever fire in a pocket or bag.
    However, this mod's main feature is also it's main downfall.
    upload_2015-1-11_14-21-15.png
    The spring is very stiff and crunchy at first. After nearly a weeks use the crunchyness has faded somewhat but the stiffness of the spring is still the same. This isn't so much of a problem firing it but it does make it a PiTA to remove and replace.
    upload_2015-1-11_14-30-13.png
    Due to the nature of the switch you will often find yourself looking for it or feeling around the mod with your fingers before activating it.
    upload_2015-1-11_14-29-19.png
    To remove the switch you slide it in and then push it up the tube, it is incredibly tight and scrapes it's way up the entire length (something is required to push it to the top unless you have girly hands).
    upload_2015-1-11_14-31-6.png
    Then it gets to the threads and won't budge. Again you need something long to slide the switch and push it out which often pushes the switch out at an angle and it's stuck again, in both directions. So again you need something long to slide the switch so you can push down from the top to level it out and try and remove it whilst it's perfectly level.
    Replacing the switch past the threads has the same issues. After you are past the threads use a battery to push the switch down until it clicks into place. If it doesn't it's because you haven't lined it up correctly and depending on how misaligned it is you'll need to completely remove it again.
    upload_2015-1-11_14-37-26.png
    The hybrid cap on mine had threading issues. It wouldn't screw on to an of my atomizers. I had to force it on and after that it threads on without issue.
    upload_2015-1-11_14-40-44.png
    It has three holes and three raised edges to allow battery venting in conjunction with the notches in the tube and possibly to help remove it if it separates from the atty.

Verdict
    Nice looking mod, hits very well but the switch issues are it's downfall. OK you won't be removing and replacing it an awful lot but still the awkwardness of finding the switch and firing it is a con in itself.
    Knowing the issues with the switch I think I still would have bought it but with the few others I have it's unlikely I will buy another mechanical for a long time.

The SMPL is a better option IMO

2. kevin bangkok

kevin bangkok Well-Known Member

Rick I like it I feel an order coming on,must desist, must desist.

3. Rider

Rider Well-Known Member

i almost got the Praxis as well, came very close to getting it.... but didnt really like the way the battery is resting on a spring...theres a youtube video where it will autofire if you tighten an atty too tightly and push the battery down.

if you get tired of the slide lock, i think you can stick a screwdriver in that small hole, loosen the screw, unlock the slide, then tighten the screw, and it will stay in unlocked mode.

which hits harder praxis or smpl?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  4. Rick O-Shea

Haven't compared them side by side but can't say I have noticed much difference between the two.
    I much prefer the SMPL. Shorter, no hyrid connector, better switch.

5. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Hey Rick, I am hesitating to get one, 899thb.

Would you recommend it ? Does it fire properly ? Is it easy to adjust the pin ? It is a pain on my Parsius...

Does it gets hot too ?

Thanks in advance man, sorry for the many questions ^^

Sent from the future

6. Rick O-Shea

If you really like it's appearance I don't think it's short comings will bother you. Try it out first. Literally. Remove the switch completely, replace the switch with battery and fire it. You'll know instantaneously if you can be arsed with it.
    I would recommend a SMPL it's untouchable in my eyes as far as mechanicals go.
    It does fire properly but I have had the occasional 'half fire' but no doubt user error.
    I haven't even taken the switch apart. The length of the 510 I think is was determines switch throw by pushing the battery onto the insulator/spring. It's possible button tops and Magma's would be autofiring.
    No, doesn't get hot at all from what I have noticed but I have been using it around 0.35 ish.

7. Rider

Rider Well-Known Member

have you had to clean the switch yet? mines landing soon, got the mid priced one. the smpl that is.

8. Rick O-Shea

The Praxis? No, still firing OK

9. Rider

Rider Well-Known Member

sorry meant the smpl

10. Rick O-Shea

Yes cleaned the SMPL switch contact once. I used a scotch brite on the contact itself and brasso. Haven't need to take that switch apart either, which is good lol

11. Rider

Rider Well-Known Member

thats good to hear, which smpl did you get? cheap-mid-expensive?

my xxix button requires constant attention.

12. Rick O-Shea

I got the Copper and SS, they were the most expensive ($22 & $20 at the time I think) but when I bought them they were the only ones without a visible seam. I hear some are popping off from the other versions.

13. Rider

Rider Well-Known Member

that sucks, hope mine doesnt come off

14. kevin bangkok

kevin bangkok Well-Known Member

RICK< with the SMPL< when you set it down do you have to screw the fire button in,or is it reccessed all the time.

15. Rick O-Shea

Depends on the length of the atomizers 510 and what battery you use. I only have flat tops and the only atty I have used that makes it protrude is the Magma. It doesn't fire under it's own weight though.