1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Possible 18650 batteries easily availible

Discussion in 'Modifications and DIY' started by Lotta, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Lotta

Lotta Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I may have found a source for good 18650 batteries. They come from a company called Liyang. Supposedly they manufacture a lot of batteries for other companies that put their name on them. At this point all I know is that they are 2800 mah. I have not tested one yet and do not know the actual specs. I am going to start in a regulated mod at very low power and see how they do. If all goes well, I will crank up the power. I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to put it in a mech mod. If anyone knows anything about this battery, please let me know. It is similar in weight to the Sony and LG batteries so that's a good start. The wrapping is pinkish-purple and is stamped LIYANG18650RPO/AM2.

2. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

The flashlight forums are a good place to ask about batteries. You never know... you could be on to something great or it could be pretty scary too.

3. Lotta

Yeah, I've tried to check into them more but since they mostly sell to other companies and they rebrand them, it is hard to find out anything. I'm going to test it very carefully and we will see what happens.

4. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

If nothing else find out what chemistry it is and the continuos amp rating BEFORE ramping up the power. A vented battery is not a pretty sight. A regulated mod will only monitor the output from the battery as it takes what it needs for the mod settings. It doesn't differentiate between batteries or have safety for low rating batteries. Please be careful. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but it sounds pretty hit and miss to me. Maybe contact the company direct?

Siam Diesel likes this.
  5. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

6. Lotta

I don't mind paying for good batteries and all of my current batteries are Sony VTC5s. I just got curious as to what these things actually are. Maybe it's really an LG or Samsung? I think it is much to heavy to be a Trustfire like POS. But maybe I am wrong. I will abort at the first sign of trouble, but if these turn out to be a decent battery, you could buy 2 of these for the same price as the Sony, Samsung, LG. And they are extremely easy to find. More on that later. Let me test it out first.

The Rev likes this.
  7. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Cool. I'm hoping for the best!

BuzzSamui likes this.
  8. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Do you have an instrument to measures these batteries or are you simply going to put them in a mod and vape them ?

Is it too late to stop you ? :peep:

Something are better be left undiscovered if you ask me. Especially when you say they are the same price as LG or Samsung ones. I don't see much to win here but quite a lot to lose...

Be careful @Lotta , you probably know what you are doing but it doesn't sound like a great idea from where we are standing.

9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

By then it may be too late...
    Testing batteries takes a specialized setup. How is the test done and how to read the charts
    @Tibo is spot on! If you don't know the composition of these batteries and their specifications, why would you even consider using them for vaping? There's very little upside and a large downside from where I'm sitting.

Consider this: The Cost of Good Batteries / Battery Safety Links | Thailand Vapers

The Rev and Tibo like this.
  10. Lotta

I agree with what everyone is saying. I am aware that this is not the best idea. But I have never been one to make good decisions, why start now? All joking aside, I am in no hurry to test these batteries without knowing a little more about them. I may start with a flashlight first and see how long they run and if they get hot under heavy loads. And the price is less than half of the LG or Samsung. I was trying to say you could buy 2 of these for the price of 1 of the others. I am thinking that there is a possibility (very remote, I;m sure) that it could either be the same or have the same performance as an LG or Samsung. Now off to test one on a mech mod with a .05 ohm build. I can be two face for Halloween this year. JUST KIDDING!!
    **Updated**
    OK. Finally have the specs for the battery. Turns out that it is not a high drain battery. But it may be viable for low wattage users in a regulated mod.

Max Discharge Current 8A (3.0C5rate) 3C 4.12
    Initial Impedance Max:55 miliohms 4.13
    Weight:46.5g

The weight must be what what made me feel that this may be a high quality, high drain battery. Still no indication of quality, but the specs came directly from the manufacturer.

Siam Diesel and Tibo like this.
  11. Randis
    Sunshine

Randis Have wings, will fly!

One should be very careful with those batteries, even some of the larger brands label them incorrectly like all the 40 AMP batteries that are popping up here and there.
    I find it extremely unlikely that you would find the same quality battery for half a price. Usually the small brands do not develop and produce their own cells, they simply buy from other brands and re-wrap,
    i don't see how they could offer the same cell type as LG or Samsung for half price.

With a 2800mAh and 3C rating the battery should have about 8.5 Amp, you can run a build of O.6 Ohm safely on it, and if you have a device where you run 2 batteries in parallel (not serial) it would roughly double the Amp.
    You could use the battery in most older regulated devices, they are all usually capped at 0.5 ohm anyway.
    However i would still go with a well known brand that has been properly tested.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. Lotta

Yes, you are right on the money. I have tested these batteries a little and looking for them to hit low the low voltage cutoff on a regulated device. So far they have performed very well. I would not hesitate to use them in an older regulated mod that goes to 20 watts or so. But as far as a newer mod or more than 30 watts, I don't see enough safety factor built in. Definitely not for use in a mech mod. My girlfriend speaks Chinese and I have corresponded with the manufacturer directly. They actually build these themselves and have a very large battery factory in China. These are the highest quality battery they manufacture. They also make some 4 amp, 2 amp and 1 amp versions. Of course all of this should be taken with a grain of salt. I have 3 that I have been working with and I feel the specs are honest. Now with all that being said, would I buy them? No. Not for my current uses. If I were still using an eVic or SID I would probably use them as a backup. I took a chance on finding something that would work and although they are not what I had hoped, they do not seem to be a terrible battery either. If you use older regulated mods or flashlights, I personally think they are a good deal.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  13. Don

Don New Member

A lot of 18650s they are selling out there are taken from dead laptop batteries which makes them cheaper and still genuine. You could buy a Dell laptop battery and disemble it to get new good Sony VTC5 cells inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

everything is possible

using second hand, half dead 18650 from laptop, flashligh, cheap chinese portable fan or what ever; is on my opinion not a good advice on a vape forum.

Tokay, Siam Diesel and jorakae like this.
  15. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

Happy I saw this thread from before I saw the light and started vaping. I have three dead laptop batteries and there is no disposal system here. I can take out the cells and stick those that work in the torches we need because of daily rainy season power cuts.
    Thank you. From a tight Yorkshireman who can't afford a generator.

debatedude likes this.