1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

News again in the Bangkok Post!

Discussion in 'E-News' started by Nakhonsisean, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Thread Starter Well-Known Member

More news on the crackdown. Does not sound good and the local authorities don't sound like they want to listen, just blowing smoke screens and ignoring new research and twisting old. Sounds like the "doctors" here don't know how to read the research done already!

More smoke than light in e-cigarette row | Bangkok Post: news

Konvict, jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

At least in this article, BP has presented both sides of the debate...the Public Health Ministry's arguments will fall on deaf ears (I hope)!

Konvict and Nakhonsisean like this.
  3. Nakhonsisean

I hope your right @Siam Diesel , general public might not listen but I suspect the powers that be will listen, they have no interest in losing their tax money from stinkies, are not interested in the health of the population and I should think this is a very minor problem for them and not worth much thought. :depressed:

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

This is true...but I think the government would like the bad publicity from the BiB's draconian enforcement techniques to go away as it affects tourism (to some extent) so there's hope for some relaxation to accomplish this. ;)

Konvict and Nakhonsisean like this.
  5. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

A lot of BS again being told. They will never listen because it is not in their best interest.

But if they just look at all the facts and being a tourist destination you know they are not doing the right thing!

Siam Diesel likes this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I understand that ecigs are also under discussion in Singapore...if SG were to legalize them, that would put some heavy pressure on the local govt. to follow suit. The issue isn't going to go away just because they wish it...the internet is too powerful an information source, and it's undeniable that ecigs are a safer alternative to smoking.

They may not want to listen but at some point, they’re going to have to! At least, that’s what I’m going to continue to believe. :)

Emmess, Chili Pepper, jpr and 2 others like this.
  7. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

think as @Siam Diesel : even if the authorities are not keen to loose money on tobacco taxes , a solution can be find as in the USA and Europe. in the other hand, looking at the situation and the news papers, promote amazing Thailand as a wonderful destination for new year on the white sandy beaches of phuket (the south and the islands ) could be also more and more difficult after time.

Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  8. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Does anybody knows which are the 15 countries, where there is a total ban on e-cigs? I was only aware of Singapure

9. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

Chili Pepper and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. Caribou

Caribou Well-Known Member

"Suthat Rungruanghiranya, director of the Department of Medicine, the Faculty of Medicine at Srinakharinwirot University and an anti-smoking advocate"
    I don't know how this guy can sleep at night. His job, career and research are focused on studying and helping people quit smoking, yet his stuborness will be responsible for the death of hundred if not thousands of Thai people.
    I don't know which is worse : he is either paid by the tobacco lobby or didn't even bother to consider the myriad of evidence and scientific studies about vaping after having read ONE negative study with an idiotic protocol.

11. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

Brunei look to be officially in the same situation than Singapore and Thailand, but just a quick look on google and you find a Facebook page for gears and juices? (with free delivery)
    Brunei vaping paradise Public Group | Facebook

Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  12. Nakhonsisean

I don't think he is necessarily being payed by anyone but is rather blinkered in his opinions. Many Thai academics can be rather stuck in their way relying on what they learnt as students and not really interested in keeping up to date and spending time on reading the latest findings. Many of them are really only interested in the status the title of professor, the money they can earn from outside jobs because of their status or finding a kik from all that eye candy in front of them in every class/lecture!

I was an exchange student at Thailand's most prestigious university for a year reading Thai and ecology. While it was 25 years ago, I remember having a big argument with a Thai professor of ecology, the exact topic I can't remember. While sitting in one of his lectures he started teaching some hypothesis/theory by a French scientist from the 1920s as fact. Now, I had studied this back in the UK and was very familiar with it and was able to cite many scientist that had refuted the hypothesis over the years. After many attempts to question him over it I finally stood up and in a rather loud voice asked him about the other studies that had proved the French scientist wrong. The Thai students, about 40 of them were horrified that I was questioning him and he told me I was being most disrespectful, he was the professor not me and that I should not question his knowledge! The guy did not give a shit for the latest research but was comfortable in his 60 year old science. He even reported me to the dean for questioning him!

I think the situation with this medical professor could be much the same, he really does not care.

Siam Diesel, Caribou and Konvict like this.
  13. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Thx @Konvict But that is unfortunately not what I meant. Those countries which are coloured red and titled with "banned" are not the "banned" I meant. This is the reason I asked, because like always, media just looks at some old sites, see "banned countries" and copy that, without checking ;)

In all those red countries, besides Thailand and Singapore, there is no ban of possessing, vaping in public oder bringing gears into the country. For instance: Austria, Turkey etc.
    They love to write "banned" even if only online-sales are banned or if the sale of nicotine only is banned, but this is not a complete ban in my comprehension. The same is for "restricted", there is no difference there.

After researching on other Southamerican countries, there is only a ban on selling nicotine liquids, or sales ban but you are allowed to vape in public oder posess a gear for private use. Nobody hat to go to jail there, because of vaping in public, where smoking is legal.

14. sezze

sezze Active Member

This map is certainly not correct . Im from Belgium and in Belgium it is 100% allowed to vape and buy products if they are TPD compliant . It is regulated , which was not the case around 1.5 y ago , and then it was somewhere in grey area since for the law it not excist . Now it is regulated , and you can buy and vape .

jpr, Konvict and Sue like this.
  15. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

tea-boy and Konvict like this.