1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

New import law (not vape related)

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by lordofthedread, Jan 23, 2018.

1. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Thread Starter Professional Lurker

Hi there,

I recently purchased an Android TV Box from Gearbest sent via DHL and it was arrested at customs.

I got a friendly call from DHL saying that these kind of device now needs an autorization from TNBC to be allowed inside the country, even fo personal use.

Note that this TV Box has no input for regular TV and works only through internet.

So if you ever wanted to purchase anything from abroad please check if you don't need an autorization for it beforehand...

2. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

More the DHL thing though innit, if it had been sent by regular tracked airmail I bet it would have got through fine,,
    If you get a refund I'd just re order and send via tracked airmail...

bifftastic, oil, Siam Diesel and 2 others like this.
  3. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

Still that's a flip of a coin for something as harmless as an android device.

DHL sure likes to get through customs but it becomes very hard to know what is allowed to enter this country at this point...

4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I bought a new Android box a few months back from a shop in Tuk Com. At the time, I remember seeing a wide range of these boxes on lazada.com. You might check there...the price may be a bit more than GB but it's certain that the box will arrive at your house.

Konvict likes this.
  5. Chili Pepper

Chili Pepper Well-Known Member

I got a Minix Neo U1, including air mouse for 5,000 baht at fortune town...
    Fully set up, great investment. That was a couple of years ago, might be cheaper now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

Actually the one I bought is a Xiaomi Mi Box running Android TV and not regular Android. I could not find any in Thailand unless I was up to pay double the price and most of the ones available here are running phone versions of Android which is kinda messy on a TV.

Anyhow I'll keep you posted on how that goes for the return and the shipping back by Air Mail.

Still this is getting kinda stupid that anything can get stuck at customs nowadays.

Rowdy likes this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Yes...but...I think this is the result of several local streaming suppliers being shut down for streaming things they shouldn't have (like English footie, etc....ExPat TV was featured in an article on the other TV for this IIRC).

PS - my box runs an Android phone version...works ok FWIW.

Rowdy, Chili Pepper and Konvict like this.
  8. Chili Pepper

Chili Pepper Well-Known Member

Likewise with air mouse mine works a dream

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rowdy and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Fastoche

Fastoche Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I saw a few months ago an article in a Thai newspaper saying that they were going to "regulate" Tv box and taking down unregistered IPTV service (to protect the TV broadcaster monopoly).
    I've got an old school Windows 7 IPTV box (aka PC).
    Vape and stream on.

Rowdy, Siam Diesel and lordofthedread like this.
  10. SpeedBug
    Cheerful

SpeedBug Active Member

BTW, who knew that scales are restricted items in Thailand! A small digital lab scale to 0.000kg for juice mixing. The single time in years I was forced by the suppliers to use DHL the expected happened. In fact, no "negotiation" was acceptable to the customs agent and they insisted on a import license issued by the Weights and Measurements department of the government. Scale went back to HK and the supplier will send via EMS with a different description, which I insisted on in the first instance...

So much for weighing in your options and the scales again tipping towards EMS & post...:cigarette:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Siam Diesel and lordofthedread like this.
  11. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

This is getting ridiculous!

It is all about protecting their own market / economy so that you cannot buy anything online from abroad even if it is a cheap product under the 30 dollars.

One lesson learned, never let them send anything by DHL!

Rowdy, oil, Siam Diesel and 2 others like this.
  12. Fastoche

Yep, very ridiculous.
    Once I even had to pay taxes for a pair of sport shoes my dad sent to my son for his birthday.
    I was delighted.
    From now on, I nearly don't order anything online from other countries and ask my family not to send anything. Also try to buy less and less new products (second hand when I can) just to avoid giving them any money.
    Wished developed countries could apply the same restrictions to Thai products. That would serve them right.

13. SpeedBug
    Cheerful

SpeedBug Active Member

But what fascinates me is that 99% of online products are from China anyway, but the markups are 300 to 400% on Thai sites which are unregulated. Which forces me to look elsewhere on sites which offer a very fair price and they still make money! But alas TIT, good service, value for money and courteous drivers are hard to find here.. having stayed here since 2005 the aforementioned are just getting worse.. but beyond that. I LOVE IT HERE!!! It's Asia man, better than staying in boring South Africa.

14. Fastoche

Well I still love the people, the weather, the food and a few more things but if I didn't have a family I would go somewhere else as there are more and more things that makes me really sick since nearly 4 years.
    I settled in LOS in 2006. Before as they didn't enforce their laws I felt more free than in Europe and it's one of the things I really liked.
    Now I feel less free than in my country. And to be honest they have retarded laws in many areas. Since they are trying harder to enforce them, well it's getting stinky. Plus I dislike more and more the gentrification, the disparition of many nice places, markets and shops to build condominium and malls all around. It feels like the country I liked is disappearing very quickly.

Rowdy, Konvict, Siam Diesel and 2 others like this.
  15. fillmcavity
    Angelic

fillmcavity Serial Vapist

Whaaaat? South Africa boring? Exciting more likely with having to dodge bullets, sidestep hijacks and robberies and murders and corruption. At least vaping is legal there but I won't go back even if you begged me.

Siam Diesel likes this.