1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Nemesis Mech Mod Locking Ring Problem

Discussion in 'Vaping Technical Issues' started by Xilver, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Xilver
    Cool

Xilver Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Ok. I got a Nemesis clone mod for about 1 week now.

I love the looks and feel of it with a Derringer or subtank mini. They look and feel and vape Great!

Now seems I am getting some issues with the locking ring below . Sometimes when i lock it, not too tightly, i cannot turn back to unlock it! It has become quite bad at times i have to force the whole bottom part to detach and re screw in the bottom battery cap and set the ring back up.

Is this apparent only to clones?? Is there a fix?

I saw in a video that i can change the spring to magnets. Will this help?

Let me know if have this problem and managed to solve this issue.

Many Thanks

Xilver

2. judas
    Amused

judas Lethargic Member

I had this on an old clone and found that a smear of vasaline on the thread helped but I did eventually change all my nemmy mechs to magnets but cannot actually remember if it made much difference to the dodgy one as it was relegated to my "stress drawer" BTW, upon close inspection of that locking ring I found it was not perfectly round.

3. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

It will not help with the problem with the locking ring. Some of the clones just have a very thin locking ring and beside of trying with a bit of vaseline, or silicone oil, that might help, i guess there is not much you can do.

jpr likes this.
  4. Xilver
    Cool

Thanks for tip. Will try vasline or oil.

I was looking to get a couple of magnets to replace the spring but FT sells them in pack of 10. Anyonr know where i can just buy 2?

5. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

The ones at FT are quite fragile, you can definitly buy a pack of 10 they are quite cheap anyway.

jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

@Xilver - good advice from @lordofthedread. Buy the 10-pak...when one breaks (as they are prone to do), you'll have plenty of spares.

Submaniac likes this.
  7. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Due to how thin the ring is applying pressure to it when loosening will cause it to bite down onto the threads and make it much harder to loosen. The right amount of pressure is needed and also that it's not too tight to begin with.

8. Xilver
    Cool

The threadings on the locking ring seems fine. I still have it locked up on me very tightly by itself and i already so many times have to open up the middle section of the mod and quite forcibly unscrew the bottom battery cap and then I can unlock the locking ring upwards again.

Its beginning to be a pain in the ass to always have to do this.

As to the magnets, I am not sure if it is related to the issue.

Amyway, thanks for advice in getting 10 of them. Will continue to shop there to see if I can make it worth the shipping here.

9. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

I don't have mine anymore but had the same issue a few times. Freezer and rubber gloves help if it's really stuck tight.
    But like I mentioned above, applying very little pressure is the way to use the locking ring in my experience, if you grab it tightly the threads will dig in making it near impossible to loosen.

Personally I just used to spin it with one finger to use it and spin it again to lock it.

Siam Diesel and Xilver like this.
  10. Xilver
    Cool

Yes, i tend to just lightly lock it down leaving it just a little above the final thread. Somehow, it does sometimes work but sometimes it just lock itself shut.

Is this a clone problem only? Does authentics have this issue too?

11. Submaniac
    Fiendish

Submaniac Ayatolah of Rock 'N Rolla

The problem with the locking ring is also a problem on genuine authentic nemesis. It is probably a worst problem on clones due to Chinese quality control. The actual lock rings from Atmomixani are at least perfectly round. What you need to understand is that you need a GENTLE hand with the lock ring. Trying to use force and manhandling it to turn makes it worst. The ring is made of thin flexible metal and pplying pressure to the ring actually DEFORMS the ring and will make it harder to turn.

I would recommend WD40 or lithium grease or some type of lubricant on the threads to ensure it can turn. If it locks stick it in a freezer to cool the metal so it contracts. Get yourself a pair of grip gloves like this pictured below. GENTLY turn it so that it becomes loose.

[​IMG]

Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

13. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

This used to happen far too often with many mods with this style of unintentional auto fire prevention. After the last time it happened, which was literally within 22-24 minutes of JUST GOING THROUGH THE ORDEAL of releasing the death grip on the exact same mod, the following method was devised to make sure it would never happen again.

If this is an issue for any reader out there, read these words and believe them later. Since adopting the methodology described below, the horror of mod lock ring related component seizure has been successfully snuffed out of existence.

You do not need any new tools, well not physical ones at least. The solution by itself is extraordinarily simple. When you are turning any part of any mod of any type around anything that is threaded: gently decrease the speed of the rotations as the part comes into connection with its natural endpoint. At the moment you would normally stop and allow the moving element to rest at the place you would instinctively satisfy yourself as having found the desired location for motion to discontinue, do 1 more thing: turn the component back in the opposite direction a fraction of a single revolution. Approximately 1/16th of a total loop. Then stop.

This sounds implausible as the total solution to obsolete the problem for all devices in perpetuity until the end of time, but it is - with one important additional note: you must remember to turn back the fractional amount each and every time you screw anything through a threaded connection from now until the time long past you stopped even vaping. Because the moment you catch yourself sleeping and notice yourself not doing the additional retro-directional micro move, will be the precise moment when everything locks up again.

Therefore the hardest part to defeating mod seizure is training yourself to never forget in any circumstance ever without exception to perform the preventative backwards rotational mini measure.

Fortunately for you there is a method for remembering to not forget to apply the parent method each and every time twisting of some sort is applied to screws in a mod like context.

The method for remembering not to forget can be described thuswise:

The next time you bring any given part around a thread, especially the locking ring of a nemesis, and allow it to come to a fully closed stop - and then fail to retreat its position a tiny amount - -
    take the cap off of whatever atty you have nearest you,
    fire it up until it is good and hot,
    place the glowing hot coil directly on the surface of one of your eyes.

Figure after doing that 2 to 3 (hundred) times, remembering to turn a part back in the counter turn direction will either be so second nature as to never be an issue ever again, or the cybernetic ocular implants you will have undoubtedly replaced your original eyes with before too long will identify your present motion and trigger a scipted action to overlay a textual alert into your immediate field of vision to remind you.

Executive summary:

Always turn what ever you are threading back the opposite way a tiny bit after tightening to a full stop. Every time. always. Problem solved.

Siam Diesel and Xilver like this.
  14. Xilver
    Cool

@Siam Diesel ..... are you French too by any chance like @Tibo ??

I will definitely look into those... especially the magnifying glasses..

I have yet to dabble or started anything with TC stuff. So i will stick to Kanthal for now,

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Nope...but I spent a year that when I was at uni...why do you ask?

BTW, the FT links are to pre-wrapped Kanthal A1 coils. @colind88 had some at the last vape meet and was sharing them around. They're handy when you need to recoil and can't be a*sed to break out the gear!