1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Nautilus Re-buildable Coil

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks For Vaping' started by -V-, May 4, 2014.

1. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

The good thing here is not the jig for coil building obviously, it is the re-buildable Nautilus: looks like not only the coil support is changed, the tank is looking different as well, all yellow metal (brass?) without glass.

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I received one of these rebuildable Nautilus coils from Vapenquit late last week. Last night, the coil in my other Nautilus tank gave up the ghost so I slammed it in...what an incredible difference to the original Nautilus coil and on a par with the new BVC coil in my other Nautilus...in fact, it's hard to tell the difference between the 2...there may be a bit more air flow from the BVC but juice usage is about the same (and more than the original coil).

New Minister #23 never tasted so good! Fabulous flavor and lots of thick vapor...the nic hit was so much more intense that it took some time to adjust to it. The coil reads 1.5 ohms and my ProVari is set at 4.5 volts so I'm vaping at 13.5 watts and not a dry or burnt hit after a half a tank of almost non-stop vaping. Can't do that with a stock coil...anything over about 10 watts tasted terrible.

Re-wicking sounds easy enough and after watching the video, I figure I'll be able to re-coil it without too much trouble. Next time I have the tank open for filling (which will be pretty soon), will look to see if I can drill out my old Nautilus coils and make my own with the plastic tool in the kit.

For those on Nautilus tanks (and even the new N-Mini), this is a huge step up from the original coils and a viable alternative to the new BVC coils. And ordering from Vapenquit was a snap...great customer service and it only took a week to get here from the UK. Highly recommended!
    :vaping::vaping::vaping:

3. byoung
    Cloud_9

byoung Upcountry Vaper

It seems to me that using a small bench vice to hold in place whatever it is you are wrapping around would accomplish the same thing. The only difference is you would need to hold onto the one end that they screw down in their jig. Small pliers or needle nose pliers could be used to hold the one end, while wrapping.

That same vice comes in handy for holding the tank base, while attaching the coil, so for less money you kill two birds with one stone.

4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I contacted James at Vapenquit. He advised that it's easy to make more of these by drilling through two of the existing holes on an old Nautilus coil using a 2.25mm (3/32") drill, and to remove all of the old wadding inside. He said that this will make for a much better air flow around the coil (which already draws beautifully even with the wadding in place).
    :vaping::vaping:

5. PattsVaper
    Lurking

PattsVaper Thailand Vapers Member

Interesting stuff SD. Looking forward to have you show me how it 's all done at the Meet-up. :vaping::vaping::vaping:

6. fillmcavity
    Angelic

fillmcavity Serial Vapist

I re-coiled an old Nautilus BDC this past weekend using only a toothpick and a nail clipper as tools. 28 Gauge Kanthal for 1.6 ohms and cotton wool wick. :vaping: I'm a happy camper. I don't have to buy another atomizer.

7. BuzzSamui
    Cloud_9

BuzzSamui Well-Known Member

Nice work Film ...

so you didn't use the re-build kit ?

did you just drill a couple of 2.25mm holes and fitted a new coil build/wick ?

Waiting for a re-build kit from Vapenquit, but was wondering if possible to do the re-build without using one.

SD posted:
    "I contacted James at Vapenquit. He advised that it's easy to make more of these by drilling through two of the existing holes on an old Nautilus coil using a 2.25mm (3/32") drill, and to remove all of the old wadding inside. He said that this will make for a much better air flow around the coil (which already draws beautifully even with the wadding in place)

8. fillmcavity
    Angelic

No, I didn't use the kit. I just followed this:
    Micro Coil Build In The Aspire Nautilus - YouTube
    But drilling the holes isn't a bad idea. The draw on mine is a bit tight but the vapor and the taste is there.

9. PattsVaper
    Lurking

That's all you need really and I know V uses this method. But one thing I'd like to know, do you use a wooden toothpick? I tried it once and I guess I wrapped the wire too tight and the bloody coil wouldn't come of the toothpick 'coz it embedded itself in the wood. Maybe I've got cheapo toothpicks. :rolling laugh:

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe my arms are just still too strong from my early bodybuilding days. :rolling laugh::exercise::rolling laugh:

Les_Avitar.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  10. fillmcavity
    Angelic

Well yes, I'm right out of titanium toothpicks at the moment. :wink:
    Actually, it was a bamboo toothpick ~2 mm in diameter.

11. BuzzSamui
    Cloud_9

BuzzSamui Well-Known Member

Thanks Film ... will give it a go as soon as time permits

12. PattsVaper
    Lurking

A great little tool and I see Vapenquit also have the Mini Aero Base for around $6.60 as well. What are the shipping costs like SD?

13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

PattsV, still up to your vampire ways, I see. :wink: Glad to know that someone on here goes to bed later than me. :rolling laugh:

When I ordered from Vapenquit, their website only offered shipping options for Europe and USA...James told me to select USA as it was about the same to Asia. I just checked now and it's still not showing shipping options to Asia (possibly because they've been busy opening their new B&M store). For the USA, there are 2 options: standard shipping for £4.10 and registered/insured shipping for £11.10. Since I ordered a couple of other things at the same time, I went with the registered/insured option and my package made it here in just a week...fully trackable as well. I don't think this is the case with the basic option. Their website is a bit of a pain (and it's acting a bit strange tonight). You've got to register to be able to add stuff to your cart and PayPal is the only payment option but I can't fault the products, good service or fast shipping.
    :vaping::vaping:

14. fruit-lover
    Cheerful

fruit-lover Well-Known Member

Are you Lou Ferringo, Patts?

Why would you use a photo of the hulk to represent yourself?

:bravo::bravo:

- - - Updated - - -

May I suggest a group order for the kit? cough cough hint hint wink wink
    :hello:

15. PattsVaper
    Lurking

:rolling laugh: When I lived in Honolulu and the Hulk series was popular a lot of the haole girls from the Mainland would ask for my autograph. :ha ha ha: