1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Microcoil with cotton on an IGO-L

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks For Vaping' started by ryanmacl, Feb 5, 2014.

1. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Here's my first video, how to setup an IGO-L with a microcoil and cotton wick. If there is anything else you guys want to see (and I have the stuff to do it) let me know and I'll make some more.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  2. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

Oh man! You gotta torch kanthal before coiling? I didn't know that. Thanks! Would heating the wire to red over a gas burner accomplish the same thing?

What about if silica is used? Can you still heat the coil if it is over silica?

That deep-fried cake juice is great, isn't it? I'm picking up a few bottles when I go home in a couple of months!

Thanks for the great video! I learned a lot!

3. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

You don't have to, but it's good practice to do so, takes off any oil on the kanthal and also makes it easy to coil with...

That's the way I have done it in the past yes..

I agree, hope to see some more in the future...

4. ryanmacl

Yes, you can torch it if its on silica, but honestly you should be torching the silica as well.

When you go back, I might ask you to get me some more. Is it just me or do they only sell 10ml bottles? Very disappointing.

5. YeOldeOke

YeOldeOke New Member

Thanks Ryan.

I see some guys boil their cotton. Is that really necessary or not?

6. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

If you're using organic cotton then no, but most normal cotton then yes it should be boiled and left to dry.

7. ryanmacl

Organic cotton I would still boil, as it is possible for machine oil or other contaminants to still be in the cotton. This is my opinion, but I frequently see people say otherwise, as VM is saying. Sterile cotton (as in sealed containers, hospital use), however, should have nothing in it. Regardless, its so easy to boil a bag of cotton a few times, why not do it. Personally, if I ran out and was too lazy to boil it, I would just use any cotton right from the store. Since I'm not that lazy, I'll boil any cotton I use.

8. colind88
    Devilish

colind88 Well-Known Member

I have used medi packed cotton gauze and cotton wool balls - I prefer the cotton wool balls. The CWB come in a sealed bag and do not require treatment. Just pull out a length from the ball and roll it. Just make sure it is soaked BEFORE you fire your coil. :)

9. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Well-Known Member

good video.. one thing i would have liked to see a side angle view to see the position of coil in relation to base of dripper...

10. ryanmacl

Ahh, what you want to do is hold up the top cap next to the base, where it would sit if it were together, and align the coil with the air hole.

11. asiaexpat

not the air hole--i mean the position of the coil in realrion to screws and base?--how far from touching the bottom?--now the top of my coil is basically slightly higher than the top of the screws.--maybe i should lower ir?

12. ryanmacl

Thats what I'm saying...you want the height of the coil to match up to the height of the airhole. With the top cap off, put the top cap next to the base, resting on the little lip, and see where you need to move the coil to.

13. asiaexpat

ah--ok--match height of airhole--hard to tell-but that is above screw level??

now i see--it is below the screw level--my coil is too high--good to know

14. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

I really did learn. Here's my first cotton wicked micro-coil, based on your video. Again, thanks!

IMG_20140222_143132.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  15. ryanmacl

No problem, I'll put up some more when my next order comes in from FastTech. How's it vaping?