1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Micro Coils or Spaced Coils?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Donkey, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Donkey
    Amused

Donkey Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Some people say Spaced coils gunk less or at least slower?

What are your thoughts? I used to be all about micro coils, but with thick juice i noticed i had to re-wick and burn my coils clean more often. I'm lazy like for my wick to last 2-3 days lol

2. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

I've been vaping for a long time and old habits die hard. I am just now starting to experiment with spaced coils. It started with my failed attempt at Temperature Control. I can build compressed coils faster and get them glowing evenly much quicker than I can do spaced coils. To me it's so much easier to wick a compressed coil. Every-time I wick a spaced coil the spaces change and I have to go back and adjust the spacing again. It may just be inexperience with spaced coils, there's some tricks I don't know, or I am just doing it completely wrong. Probably all 3. YMMV

Donkey likes this.
  3. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

I have tried one time to make a space coil, I made it correctly I supposed but I did not notice anything different (except the pain it was to wick).

I vape max VG only and I barely get any gunk at all though.

4. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Tbh be honest I personally think the juice is the biggest factor in coil gunk. When I started using my main juice supplier now about a year ago I noticed that the wick and coil were stuffed in about half the time. For me this is probably down to the sweetener.

I have tried spaced coils and the only ones I found easy to wick were made with heavy gauge wire, be it for TC or power mode. I noticed little if any difference in the life of the wick or time between needing to clean the coil. I have just stuck to micro coils now as they are simpler to make, adjust and fit than a speed coil and performance differences are minimal. If anything the micro will heat a touch quicker as one wrap will start to heat the next wrap and so on.

Donkey and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

On a spaced coil the e-liquid can enter from the sides and vapour escapes from around the coil. This causes a constant inflow of e-liquid while the vapour easier escapes. The best balance is on the verge of getting a dry hit when there is a constant and right amount inflow of fresh e-liquid and freeing of vapour, at that moment the coils is quiet and has best flavour performance.

With microcoils most of the vapour pressure escapes at the sides while building up a higher pressure inside the coil tube, which is the reason for more noise. As well the flow of vapour is working against the direction of the incoming e-liquid., which requires a somewhat looser cotton, which again makes that type of coils crackle more. Compacted coils produce more noise and lesser flavour.

Note I am talking about simple single wire coils, not special methods of wrappings which are then compacted and allow e-liquid to escape from all around as well. Everyone can try what I am saying very easily. Build two identical coils on a RTA deck, one spaced and one compacted. Wet the cotton and fire, you will notice the compacted coil squirts and crackles more.

Besides, spaced coils do work better with TC.

moonoy93 and Donkey like this.
  6. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

@peter-k interesting you have noticed quite a difference between the two types of coil.

I must admit that my experimentation was very limited though as I have only minor annoyances with micro coils and the things annoying me about making fitting and wicking spaced coils were bigger.

I do enjoy hearing from people that find improvements for their vape by experimentation and will probably try spaced coils again to see if I can get the same results.

Donkey likes this.
  7. peter-k
    Fine

I indeed did try both types, albeit keep in mind I only use coils around 0.5 - 1 ohm MTL.

Longtail1 likes this.
  8. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

One thing that may be an idea if you want to stay with micro coils is using twisted wire. The ridges between the wire add that little bit of space that @peter-k is talking about. A drill and set of needle nose pliers and you can make your own twisted wire in no time. Super simple. I actually like twisted better than Clapton. Doesn't seem to crackle and spit as much plus the ramp up time is much quicker. If you use temp control a spaced coil is really the best option though. IMHO

9. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

@Lotta twisted was something I tried a long time ago when I was dripping on a mech only. Never got on with it due to ramp up times. Never did try it again on a high power VW mod. Something else to try again now I am starting to drip again for some fun. Thanks for reminding me.

10. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Start with twisted 26 ga. I like it the best. Twisted 24 is good but then the ramp up time starts to show more.

Longtail1 and Donkey like this.
  11. Donkey
    Amused

Donkey Thread Starter Well-Known Member

My builds are around .90-.98 pretty much 1ohm lol i use spaced coils far less pop and crackle decent clouds and juice flavor much better.

peter-k likes this.
  12. peter-k
    Fine

I concur. I tried twisted with 2 x 28 ga, it was easy to do, straightens the wire so to say automatically, and it performs good.

13. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to admit it, with me being the RDA, Mech Mod guy that doesn't like tanks or regulated mods, I am vaping a twisted 26 ga. single coil at .7 ohms in a Kayfun V5 clone right now at 28 watts. I have to say the flavor is just amazing and the vapor has that thick saturated consistency. An extremely nice vape.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  14. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Quick thought. Would I be correct in assuming that juice consumption goes up with the twisted coils?

15. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Twisted are the one giving me the best flavors, hands down. I usually like to have them quite long to maximise the heat surface, so I end up with 0.5 ohms with a strong ramp up time if vaped at anything below 110W.

Also I follow @Longtail1 on the sweetener being the cause for gunked coil, though it is just a guess on my part.

judas and Siam Diesel like this.