1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Help Merlin Mini - does it have an adjustable airflow or is it just a vent?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by SooKee, May 30, 2018.

1. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Thread Starter Contented Single Coiler

Buddy of mine gave me one of these to try but if it DOES have an adjustable airflow ring I think it must be seized up. I've looked at a number of review videos and, strangely, none of them show the airflow ring being used at all.

I've wasted a fair bit of time on this, soaking in boiling water, freezing it, spraying with WD40, rubber gloves, the works. Nothing can make it budge. Got me wondering, IS it an adjustable ring or is it just a permanently wide open vent? I have a feeling it should be an adjustable ring but think he may have just knackered it up from over tightening the tank (I think he has a penchant for doing this as I had a hell of a game opening up a tank that he helpfully wicked for me when I was busy and left it on a table - I don't let him near my tanks now LOL), or maybe it's just seized up? However I've seen folks talk about closing the airflow when filling, otherwise it leaks like hell when you fill it so think it must be adjustable.

Figure I've wasted enough time on it now though, better things to do. Just curious though. I'll either chuck it or give it him back.

2. fillmcavity
    Angelic

fillmcavity Serial Vapist

From a review on ecigclick by Mike Murphy.

"The base section of the Merlin Mini incorporate an airflow control ring which contains two elongated air holes each measuring approximately 12 mm x 1.5 mm.
    The ring can easily be adjusted to the desire position with just the right amount of resistance for it to remain in place when set."

You're welcome.

Siam Diesel and SooKee like this.
  3. SooKee
    Lurking

Cheers. Thought it was odd to just have a permanent wide airflow and no adjuster ring, kinda like an RDA. I'll trash it.

fillmcavity likes this.
  4. fillmcavity
    Angelic

fillmcavity Serial Vapist

Have you tried turning it the other way?

SooKee likes this.
  5. SooKee
    Lurking

Yah, both, countless times. It's stuck fast.

fillmcavity likes this.
  6. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

Try soaking it in WD40/Sonax for a couple of days. Has done the trick for me in the past. But you will have to thoroughly clean it after and possibly fit new 'O' rings.

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Tdgohn

Tdgohn New Member

For what it’s worth I found that with the airflow restricting parts that you put under the build deck, the air flow control doesn’t make too much difference. That’s if you like a tighter draw.

SooKee likes this.
  8. SooKee
    Lurking

Cheers. I might give the long soak in WD40 a try. Give it a couple of days and then consign it to the trash can. It was a freebie and came as is so don't actually have any o rings etc. I did actually try the tank and it was quite good I though, aside from juice leaking out from all over the place when I tried to fill it the first time (from trying to get the (not) juice flow holes to line up and thus not making a tight enough seal on the tank). Thought I'd try closing the airflow to see if it helped reduce leaking further. Plus I have this kinda mental block about using something that isn't working as it should, especially given that I have a few tanks that DO work well. Of course I could buy a new one if I liked it that much, can't say I was blown away with though and that leaking isn't an issue I have with other tanks. Plus, it may well have been surpassed with better tanks now so if I was going to buy I'd likely get a Kylin.