1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

"Married" batteries

Discussion in 'Vaping Technical Issues' started by debatedude, Jun 3, 2016.

1. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Thread Starter Mech Moderator Staff Member

OK, so I hear lots about married batteries when people use box mods. Everything's gotta be the same and all that. Well, I just ordered my first box mod. It runs two 18650 batteries in series. Now while I don't have any married pairs, I do have several pairs that are like "friends with benefits." In other words, pairs of batteries that were bought at the same time and at the same store. They have always been charged together in the same charger. But when it comes to the down and dirty, they have always been inserted singly in my mech mods. With that said, the batteries are always run down to the same level (3.57-3.63 volts) and only charged together. So what I want to know is this: can I use one of my "friends with benefits" pairs in my forthcoming box mod, or do I have to spring for yet more batteries?

Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I'd spring for another couple of sets if it were me...they may be 'friends with benefits', but they're not married (and need to be in dual-battery mods). :)

Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor

Battery Safety: 3's a Cloud - Mt Baker Vapor

Scuba Vaper, Konvict and debatedude like this.
  3. debatedude
    No Mood

Oh come on - same age, same discharge, used in the same mod . . . what could go wrong?

:chinrub:

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  4. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Be aware and check the voltages periodically. Certainly don't wait for "weak battery" to appear.

I presume you meant a regulated box mod.

5. debatedude
    No Mood

Yes. I ordered the Tesla Invader III

6. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

In that case I'd be extra vigilant as there is no display. I won't ask why you opted for that particular mod.
    **Updated**
    Just to add, for the sake of a few hundred baht (x2) I'd get a new pair.
    One battery may sag more than the other.

There's a setting on the No.6 that allows you to adjust how much to allow and also shows you to what voltage it sags to with each fire. But that's irrelevant lol.

7. yourauntbob
    Happy

yourauntbob hair club for men member

ITs better to use married pairs. From what i have been told, even if they are married there may be some differences as no two batteries are identical. If your "friends with benefits" pair is new (less than 20-30 cycles) you should be ok. I have no experience with that particular mod but it does look to have a chip in it which should add some protection.

8. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

I would be more comfortable using "friends with benefits" batteries in a parallel configuration. It's not the safest but a lot safer than using them in series configuration like the Tesla.

9. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

Given the cost of healthcare for burns and shrapnel, and possible loss of sight, hearing and maybe limbs that might happen with an insendiary experience or explosion of a li ion battery, versus the cost of a pair of new identical batteries, well, hardly a choice really.

But perhaps all the battery safety zealots are wrong, and no harm will come .. Tough to say for sure.

Konvict, Siam Diesel and debatedude like this.
  10. debatedude
    No Mood

Just to play devil's advocate, I want to report the results from a friend of mine who did a little experiment on my behalf. Granted, he used a different mod than I will use.

Screenshot 2016-06-05 at 5.jpg
    **Updated**
    I appreciate your concern, and I am looking to get a "married pair." I just hope all my single batteries don't get jealous.

Scuba Vaper, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Non-married batteries may never cause a problem. It depends on many things. Even married batteries could fail. With parallel batteries, one weak battery will offload some of the work to the other battery. It's just the way parallel circuits work. However when using batteries in serial, this offloading is not possible. One weak battery and the possibility for failure increases dramatically. In the end, it's up to each person to decide what they are comfortable with. I personally never break up a married set even for a couple of uses. YMMV.

Siam Diesel and debatedude like this.
  12. debatedude
    No Mood

UPDATE: I just ordered a pair of Samsung 25r batteries (brand new, of course). They will form the first of my married pairs. Thank you all for your advice!
    **Updated**
    When I go back home next year, I will order a boatload of VTC4s and VTC5s. This scrounging for batteries will not happen again!

Siam Diesel likes this.