1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Make coils last longer

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vaping Newbies' started by Don Graham, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Don Graham

Don Graham Thread Starter Over 40 years SMOKEING

This is a trick I have just learned after chain vaping for the past five years. Regardless of what kind of coils you are using this technic will help save you big money.
    Before you take a hit (press the button) make a 2-4 second draw and then push the button and do the same at the end of your draw. That's it, By doing this you will use far fewer coils and your nic juice will not turn brown/black burnt cotton is reduced substantially.

2. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

I can see the advantage of the latter (slightly cooling the coils and removing any vapor). I frequently do that myself, especially with hot loads. But I cannot see the advantage of the former. Can you explain?

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. Don Graham

Doing before the hit makes sure that there is enough juice at the coil before pulling the trigger. Doing it at the end ensure the coil cools down rapidly to offset any burning of the cotton.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  4. debatedude
    No Mood

With all due respect, I'm doubtful about this. The discoloration of the wicks and gumming of the coils are IMO, due to the sweeteners used in the juice. Check this out:
    RDA: Cartel Obelisk
    Coils: dual 20 gauge nichrome 80, 3 mm diameter, 8 wraps, 3 mm leg length, 0.11 ohms
    Wicks: Watson's organic Japanese pads

IMG_20180812_110710.jpg

I put 30 ml of Custard Shoppe's Butterscotch through this without changing AND without pre-hitting. I just primed them once and went for it. The coils are clean and the only color in the wicks is due to juice. Now I gotta tuck these bad boys back in and keep vaping. The coils and wicks are good for another 20 ml at least.
    :cheers:

SooKee, moonoy93 and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. Don Graham

I agree with what you have said but my post said nothing about my trick preventing the ejuice from burning and creating a black gunk. That prosses will happen regardless.
    (Trick #2)
    Speaking of gunk, I have been touking on a Eleaf IJUST2 over the last week. This device uses what I call a vertical tube coil with a screen covering the cotton. This screen collects black gunk. Over the last couple of days, I have been cleaning the screen and the vertical coil with some Q-tips. This too seems to extend the life of my coil. Come to think about it I don't think I have ever had any coil burn out (short out). What makes me use a new coil and or cotton is a burnt flavor

6. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

What I have found useful is a time from here that originated from Rip Trippers. I get the feeling it does prime the wicks better and ensures better wicking but that may be a placebo effect. I still do it though, regardless. He advises that instead of dripping onto the coils, firing once and then dripping the wicks to drip the coil only, gently pulsing in between so that the juice is drawn down from the coil into the rest of the wick. The first few hits sure taste better, whether it does actually improve wicking or prolong the wicks (as he claims) I'm not sure.

debatedude likes this.
  7. Don Graham

That is very interesting information indeed. As a chain vaporer I have not found drip vaping useful. There are too many dry/burnt hits for me. I am a 100% tank kind of guy

SooKee likes this.
  8. SooKee
    Lurking

Yeah the technique mentioned is for priming wicks / coils for first use only so can be applied equally to tanks (saturating wicks from the coils down before fitting the tank and filling) and RDAs. Seems provide good results.

Of course 'time' above is supposed to read 'tip'. Bloody phones and auto-correct!! Annoys the hell out of me that they replace one correct word with another word yet type a work like 'bcesaue' that's supposed to be 'because' and pfffffft, nothing!!!

Siam Diesel and debatedude like this.
  9. debatedude
    No Mood

I do this every time I refill. Works like a treat

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. Donkey
    Amused

Donkey Well-Known Member

I dip mine in cold water (get them red hot first) after each cotton change. I can make coils last months that way. I think i change my coils out every 2 months. I could go longer though i just dont cause i enjoy building coils lol

SooKee likes this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I sometimes do this with a new, pre-made coil when I'm breaking it in (the pre-hit not the post hit) to make sure the cotton is saturated. But once it's vaping well, I stop.

Since I vape at low power (10-15 watts), I've found that continuing to pre-prime the coils after the cotton is fully saturated ends up flooding the coil (and then I have to use a rolled up tissue to remove the excess juice & stop the gurgling). YMMV ;)

SooKee and debatedude like this.
  12. SooKee
    Lurking

Yeah I can see it not working for clearos due to the design. For me the benefit is on my RDAs, getting the air flowing across the coil before it's fired so that when it is fired, the instant vapour is produced, it's being inhaled, vs firing then inhaling which leads to a slower draw off of the vapour, some of the juice possibly getting over heated, even burnt, and mixing in with the good stuff, resulting in a tendency to cough and splutter at times. That's my theory anyway. Of course, lack of co-ordination through the over consumption of Jack Daniels can induce a level of pilot error that might also be responsible.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  13. Lsbkk

Lsbkk New Member

Hello, new poster here