1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Maintenance Time!

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by debatedude, Sep 7, 2019.

1. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Thread Starter Mech Moderator Staff Member

Unless you use nothing but disposable equipment, maintenance should take up a part of your vaping time. Equipment needs to be cleaned, batteries need to be charged, coils made, wicking . . . the list is long. Today is wicking day for me. I use an atty a day, so wicking is a little time consuming. I use Watson's 100% organic cotton pads for wicks. I love the stuff AND the price is right. Watson's usually has a two-for-1 or a bogo on them.

upload_2019-9-7_11-34-57.png

Y'all get bound down with wicking? Come on rebuild guys! How much wicking do you do in a week?

2. debatedude
    No Mood

What about batteries? Now there's a high maintenance item. Gotta charge them, gotta keep them out of the sun, gotta keep them dry . . . I swear, batteries are as hard to maintain as a woman! Charging batteries is the most important part of maintaining a battery. Heck, you spent 300-500 THB on a quality battery (you did buy quality batteries, right?), why go cheap on a charger? Get a good one. Nitecore makes a quality charger at a reasonable price. I've used E-fest chargers in the past, but they can over-charge a battery and I've yet to have an E-Fest charger last longer than a year. @Siam Diesel recommended Xtar chargers to me years ago, and I'm hooked on them! My 2-bay travel charger from them has lasted almost four years. I'm pretty hard on batteries, so I use the Dragon VP4 Plus. This thing does everything and whispers "goodnight" as well!

upload_2019-9-7_16-12-37.png

It's not cheap (FastTech and Illumn.com stock them) but it gives a fantastic measured charge and can recondition overdrained batteries!

Another important maintenance issue with batteries is the wrap. Worn or torn wrap can cause a battery to hard short. That leads to a big boom that really hurts. If I ever see a tear, worn spot, hole, or peel on a wrap, I change the wrap. Thankfully, battery wrap is cheap and available from FastTech and (I believe) a couple of local Thai vendors. Heck, it even comes in colors!

upload_2019-9-7_16-22-30.png

So what's your battery maintenance plan?

3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

None! :D
    Yep, swear by XTAR. My VP2 was getting tired so I got a Dragon earlier this year, too. Best thing is the beep at the end of the cycle!

XTAR has an official store on AliExpress...got a good discount on mine.

SooKee, kevin bangkok and debatedude like this.
  4. debatedude
    No Mood

I love the recondition feature! I was able to salvage a bunch of VTC4s with it. Best charger I've ever had

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

Haven't looked at chargers for ages. I use Xtar at the moment. I did buy a Nitecore i4 a while back which, while a great charger, didn't accept quite a few 20700 batteries despite the blurb saying it was compatible. Luckily swapped it out with a member for an Xtar (VC4?) that does (no issue for the other member as he uses only 18650). That was when I also found that the Ali Express Buyer Protection wasn't worth jack (send it back to exchange at YOUR expense, despite the advertiser posting wrong information or accept a partial, like VERY partial, refund). The Dragon looks like a new version? The old one looked very basic, but I'm not sure if takes 20700s with ease.

Siam Diesel and debatedude like this.
  6. debatedude
    No Mood

I don't know how new it is. I know it's been out for at least a year. The contacts on it are large and long, so I don't think it would have a problem with large batteries. Plus the bays are oversized as well. Here's the info from the company I bought it from:

upload_2019-9-15_9-27-26.png

Xtar Dragon VP4 Plus Li-ion/NiMH/11.1V 3S Charger and Battery Analyzer

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

It has been out for a while. At the end of last year, XTAR ran a contest to name the "new" iteration of the Dragon...but they haven't rolled it out yet.

@SooKee - Sod's law being what it is, that means that the day after you order the old one, they'll introduce the new one. :D But seriously, it charges 4 x 26650's with ease and there's still additional room lengthwise so it should handle the 20/21700's without any problem

SooKee, Bantorvaper and debatedude like this.
  8. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

That's good news then. I'm in no rush for a new charger but IIRC when I last looked at the Dragon it was longer than a year ago, IIRC it just looked like a box with no meters or whatever then though I could be mistaken. I'll likely opt for one of these if I need to replace.

The Nitecore would take some 20700 (just and I mean just) and only then if the top contact was dead flat and flush to the battery case. It was still a tight fit as the chambers were just not long enough, significant risk of tearing wraps when inserting or removing.

9. Okaa

Okaa Active Member

Your coils build are super clean, really nice and tight. I find myself changing cotton nearly every day but usually have 2 or 3 mods running each day to get different flavors. Right now I have a peanut butter on a single Flow rda, cheesecake on a coil art rda, and FiveO glazed on the dead rabbitxheathan rta.

10. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

That's how he likes it :hot:

11. debatedude
    No Mood

Love this juice. Unfortunately I'm down to my last bottle and no replacements in sight

Siam Diesel likes this.