1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Kayfun 5 Clone

Discussion in 'Thailand Vapers Reviews By Our Members' started by Lotta, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Lotta

Lotta Thread Starter Well-Known Member

So I know this review will be very strange coming from the mech guy that only uses RDAs for the most part. I haven't owned a Kayfun since the very first one came out. I bought a clone of it and a Nemesis at the same time. Most of my memories of it involve lot's of cussing, pliers, vice grips and massive amounts of paper towels for all the leaking. Maybe it was the equipment, maybe it was me but we never got along well. Since I'm no longer a mouth to lung vaper and don't use tanks or RBAs very often, I have skipped every other version of the Kayfun. Out of sheer curiosity I decided to spend a few bucks on a clone Kayfun 5 and give it a fair chance. Let's talk about the clone first. The machining is very nice, no sharp threads or edges and everything fits together well. One o-ring was already torn but a quick fix with one out of the spares bag. Didn't seem to have any machine oil. I put it though the ultra-sonic cleaner and ready to build on. Even though there are a lot of parts everything is pretty much self explanatory and I had no issues taking it apart and putting it back together. The build deck is very nice and I like the way they added the tabs to help trap the wire. I put in a 7 wrap twisted 26 ga build that came out almost 0.7 ohms. Enough room but starting to get a little tight. I set the airflow to 4 (what else am I going to do). Primed her up and did some test fires. Put it all together and filled her up. A couple of twists to open the juice flow and away we go at 20 watts on my Tesla Nano. First impression, tight draw. Can still do DTL but it is tight. I expected that so no surprises there. The next thing I noticed was the flavor. Pretty impressive at only 20 watts. I go to 25 watts and the flavor does not get any better, just hotter. No leaking or flooding so far so that's a big improvement from my last experience. I need to spend more time to fully evaluate the flavor but so far I can see why the Kayfun has been popular with MTL vapers. Is this something I will use everyday? No. Will I break it out every now and then for the hell of it? Definitely. I know this review is probably useless to most of you. Come on and RDA guy reviewing a Kayfun? WTF? But anyway there you have it the Kayfun 5 reviewed by the most unqualified reviewer ever for the product.
    **Updated**
    After breaking in the coil and wicking a little more, I can now go to 30 watts without the vape being extremely hot and the flavor has increased.

farangmick, Xilver, Tibo and 4 others like this.
  2. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Have 3 different clone versions here. Tobeco, SXK and SMJY and the best of the bunch is definitely the SMJYfollowed by the Tobeco.

The SMJY version has the best overall machining and is supposedly a true 1:1. Very smooth operations with threading parts together, adjusting airflow and the juice flow control.

The Tobeco seems a little bit off with the JFC where it requires nearly 4 complete turns to open the juice channels completely.

The SXK's base/juice flow control is somewhat difficult to turn (even after lubing and then replacing the o-rings), the ornamental/gripping wedge grooves at the base are smaller than the original and the glass had a very small chipped area along one of its edges.

My plan is to keep the two better models and leave the SXK here in the States for emergency backup with future visits. I didn't even build it after seeing the glass section and experiencing the tightness with the JFC. None of these clones had any rattle, wobbling or looseness when attached to a mod.

Very happy with both the SMJY and Tobeco clones and when it comes to the vape, they are basically identical. Flavor is what you would expect from a Kayfun, the slightly restricted DTL draw is very smooth (I vape them wide open), building and wicking is an absolute breeze and they work great in temp control with no resistance fluctuation readings. These are going right into my daily tank rotation because of how good they are. Highly recommended.

Tibo, Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  3. Lotta

After using this tank more and more, I think that if the airflow was just a little more open, I might actually put it into rotation. The flavor is just so good. I know that I don't have the SXK clone. Is there a way to tell which one you have? Everything fits perfect and moves smoothly. It looks almost 1:1 by comparing the parts online but I could be wrong. The two things that I know are different is the size of airflow hole below the coil. The authentic is supposed to be 3.2 mm and this one is closer to 2.7 mm. Also you cannot turn the airflow control without backing the juice flow control out a good bit.

4. Scratchy
    Lurking

The SXK has those letters stamped at the internal bottom area. For the other two, after assembly, the only way to tell them apart is the very slight difference in the width and height of the machined external grooves/ridges and the amount of turns to fully open the juice flow control. Really haven't looked for any markings or otherwise to tell one from the other. If you look at both without focusing intently on the grooves/dimples they look pretty much exactly the same.

All three appeared to have the same size airflow below the coil but didn't really look closely. Supposed to be 3.2 mm as you mentioned and would guess they are. Airflow is about perfect for my general preference. I like both restricted MYL and wide open both and this falls just about right in between when fully open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Lotta

I believe that if you try to stick a 3 mm coil jig or screw driver you can find out which ones are truly 3.2 mm. I'm pretty sure I've read that the SXK is less than 3 mm and some of the others as well. I know mine is smaller than 3 mm but larger than 2.5 mm.

6. Scratchy
    Lurking

Just tried a 3 mm winding rod in my sxk and it easily fits with room to spare. My other two have builds so will have try them later. Will report back when I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Lotta

That's why you never trust what you hear on the internet. People are saying the SXK doesn't have a 3 mm hole. Curious to hear on the others.

8. Scratchy
    Lurking

There was supposedly a video someone made with an sxk that measured out smaller but talk now is that it was probably a bad or early copy. So you may have seen some discussions about that video before others found their sxk's are a little larger than 3 mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Lotta

I don't know the manufacturer of mine but it is definitely between 2.5 mm and 3 mm. Not a full 3 mm and absolutely not 3.2 mm. I'm wishing mine was the 3.2 mm version, it may give me that little bit of extra airflow I want. If that part is interchangeable between the clones maybe someone that likes a tighter draw will want to trade.

10. Lotta

My clone came with a mesh screen inside the fill cap. I knew it would reduce air flow so I removed it. Today I happened to notice that the drip tip also had a mesh screen inside as well. Removed it and the air flow has improved greatly. It's now something I can use comfortably. First tank I've actually liked in a long time.

11. Xilver
    Cool

Xilver Well-Known Member

Thanks for the interesting read. Been wondering whats the difference with SXK, SMYJ or Tobecco clones on the Kayfun 5. Was looking around for 1 to try but have not committed to getting 1 cos I left my Kayfun V4 resting on the shelf for a long time.

Reviews on youtube on Kayfun v5 have been quite good. Thats why it got me interested. Liked the built quality and looks even if its a clone. Not too much of a MTL myself though I am quite happy with the AIO's tight draw.

12. Lotta

Since I have removed the mesh screens on mine, you can get a pretty good DTL hit from it. I'm not a tank guy but I actually like this one. Still don't know the maker but the quality seems good so far.

13. Scratchy
    Lurking

Quick note that I can now confirm my Tobeco version copy also has at least a 3mm hole below the coil.

14. Lotta

We're starting to narrow it down. Now we just have to figure out which clone comes with less than a 3 mm air hole and two stupidly placed mesh screens.

15. judas
    Amused

judas Lethargic Member

Siam Diesel likes this.