1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Kangside KSD U1000 Mini

Discussion in 'Thailand Vapers Reviews By Our Members' started by Rick O-Shea, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea Thread Starter iStick Fanboy

TL;DR
    It's a Sigelei 100w plus in a slightly smaller, slightly more comfortable enclosure.

Kangside KSD U1000 Mini
    @GearBest sent me this to review. You can purchase it here with the code KSDU1000 for $50.99

Manufacturer spiel
    +
    • Reasonably small for a 100w series box mod
    • Lightweight (120g without batteries)
    • Cheap
    • YiHi SX330
    • Nice fire button
    -
    • Bland styling
    • 'Pointy' bottom corners

[​IMG]
    Not much of a looker

The Enclosure
    It's very light without batteries (120g), measures 94x58x25 and is slightly taller/wider than a Vapor Flask but the VF is slightly deeper. I like that it is wider than the often standard 22mm.
    It is surprisingly nice in the hand though compared to the Sigelei 100w plus due to the rounded back edge and the slope at the top that automatically attracts your index finger when thumb firing which is how I usually fire any mod but this one is certainly better when used in that way.
    The edges are pointy but the edge where it slopes actually fits nicely in the crease at the end of your finger. The only annoying pointy edge is at the bottom right and can dig into your hand a little but it's nothing major, similar to how the SXmini S-Class feels in hand.

[​IMG]
    Most comfortable when thumb firing

The battery door slides down easily and is quite thin but not so thin you could bend it without considerable effort. It's held in place by two capable magnets.
    There is a little play at the top of the door where you can move it left to right about 0.5mm but you have to actually focus on doing that, when using it it's not noticeable as it never moves.

[​IMG]
    Tidy inside but no ribbon to assist with battery removal

The buttons and screen are offset to the left, I'm not sure why that is but I'm pretty sure it's due to ergonomics when thumb firing because if I move my thumb over to the centre as if to fire it it does feel less comfortable even though the difference is only a few millimetres.
    The screen is almost identical to the Sigelei 100/150w offerings.
    The fire button is great, better in my opinion than the Sigelei 100/150 and the adjustment buttons have a little play in them and do faintly rattle but only when shaken. There is no rattle at all from the fire button.

[​IMG]
    Function before fashion?

The 510 is fine although it does protrude a little and due to the 2 level styling at the top of the enclosure the front half there is a visible gap but it is only a tiny one. At the top of the enclosure they have cut a circular groove for the atomizer and it's been cut a tiny bit too small for a 22mm atty so it can be a bit tight on the last few turns until the groove wears in.
    It's difficult to explain, images will show what I mean better.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You can see the raised portion towards the back of the 510. The 510 is raised a little but barely noticeable

The finish isn't the best as far as looks go, it's like a black deep brush but it does feel durable, I don't envisage it flaking off in a hurry.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Board
    The board is advertised by Kangside as a YiHi SX330, it functions exactly the same as the Sigelei in every way and has ample power. I don't know why I was skeptical of this but if the chip isn't a YiHi it is as good as if not better than the SX330 in the Sigelei 100w +
    I don't have a dripper with enough airflow capable of utilising the 100w, the closest I have is the Bambino which I have been using on the Kangside at 0.2/70w. I tried it out briefly at 100w but it just doesn't have the airflow for that amount of power.

I performed a few simple test with a multi-meter; 0.2, 0.5, 0.8 ohms fired at various power settings.

0.8 @ 2.9v (10w) Fired at approx 2.9v
    0.8 @ 5.4v (35w) Fired at approx 5.4v
    0.8 @ 7.5v (67w) Fired at approx 7.5v (7.5v max)
    -----------------------------------------------
    0.5 @ 2.3v (10w) Fired at approx 2.3v
    0.5 @ 5.3v (52w) Fired at approx 5.3v
    0.5 @ 7.4v (100w) Fired at approx 7.2v (On paper 0.5@7.2v = 103w)
    -----------------------------------------------
    0.2 @ 1.5v (10w) Fired at approx 1.5v
    0.2 @ 3.3v (50w) Fired at approx 3.2v
    0.2 @ 4.6v (100w) Fired at approx 4.5v (On paper 101w@21A)

My Thoughts
    As far as mods go the Kangside is not the prettiest but what it lacks in looks it makes up for in power and it certainly delivers as advertised the full 100w below 0.5 ohms, the biggest problem this mod has though is the competition.
    The iPV4s for example can be bought for between $10-20 more and it has temp control, OK it's butt ugly and a decent size bigger than this but it's new, TC is all the rage, that's what many people want. There's also the Cloupor GT which is advertized as 80w with TC and available for $45-60.
    The Kangside has been released 4-6 months too late in my opinion.

That being said Kangside have caught my attention with this mod and I'd be interested to see what they come up with in the future. If this had TC and a more refined look it would be a contender in my opinion and a mod to be considered for those looking for TC and extra power.

After I sold my Sig150 I had lost interest in dual battery higher powered box mods but this more comfortable, more manageable size has peaked my interest to them again as I enjoyed the vape from the Bambino at 70w which made a change to the usual 25-30w I have been vaping tanks at recently.
    I'll be keeping hold of this for the foreseeable future until something similarly sized, powerful but prettier comes along.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

GearBest, Emmess, judas and 1 other person like this.
  2. skeeters
    Lurking

skeeters E juice monster

Good review mate. When's the video coming lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

judas likes this.
  3. Rick O-Shea

Just waiting on someone to send me a video camera to review ;)

4. skeeters
    Lurking

skeeters E juice monster

Rick-shaw. Ecig reviews. Nice asiany name mate. If you e mail wictor I'm sure there's a camera vape unit to review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siam Diesel and Rick O-Shea like this.
  5. Rick O-Shea