1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

iSub G DIY wick replacement

Discussion in 'Vaping Technical Issues' started by Jimmy G, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Jimmy G

Jimmy G Thread Starter Active Member

I recently purchased an MVP3 Pro from BIG and it came with a free iSub G tank.
    Unfortunately, there were no replacement coils available and the burnt cotton taste has started coming through on the pre-installed one. I've zero experience in building my own coils but did find a vid where a chap replaced the cotton on a coil by pulling it out, dry burning/ scrubbing and then threading through a new piece of cotton.

Before I take on this challenge, I thought I'd ask if there are any tips from our distinguished members. I've literally got one shot at this (one coil) so don't want to screw it up.

<I've ordered some new coil heads which will come through in a few weeks - delivered to the UK and carried over by hand so this is only a stop gap>

Appreciate any advice.

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Buy a Nautilus or Mini-Nautilus from Big or Micky...flavor can't be compared (and you need a backup anyway).

As for rewicking, that should be pretty straight-forward. Soak the coil in vodka for awhile and then gently brush it off. Dry-burning has gone out of favor so maybe give it a good boil after the vodka...if you do dry burn it, use gentle pulses and try to avoid having it glow bright red.

I'm sure other members will be along with their suggestions.

Jimmy G likes this.
  3. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

I think you can just pull the cotton out, dry burn it, then pull some more through?

Jimmy G likes this.
  4. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

Tsk tsk, It makes me really angry, really really angry. VODKA was made for drinking GUYS!!! Please be considerate and do not use vodka for such meager jobs.

Jimmy G and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

Looks very straight forward...poke out the old cotton...pulse the coil gently a couple of times and then re-wick it...

Jimmy G likes this.
  6. Jimmy G

Thanks for advise @Neilly and all. I've done this following the video. Was very easy as suggested. Issue I now have is that there is a constant burnt flavour worse than before. Think it was the short sharp dry burns at low wattage that started it. Guessing it's burnt some gunk to the coil which is now continuing to stink. Question... the chap in the video suggests that you can wash the coil under a tap (after removing the old cotton). Is that advised ? any other suggestions ?

7. Rick O-Shea

Did you dry burn the coils (remove cotton and pulse them)?
    If that doesn't get rid of the gunk, nothing will.

8. Jimmy G

I did but didn't hit it too hard - lowered down to a smaller wattage and just pulsed.
    I'll try again a bit harder if that's the best approach.

9. Rick O-Shea

Yeah, so it glows, if you want to remove all the crap from it.

Also what cotton are you using?

10. Jimmy G

Got some Japanese cotton from the local Japanese store... don't know if it's any good but didn't have any alternatives at this stage.

11. Rick O-Shea

I always recommend the organic pads from Watsons that are 80B a box (has a white/beige sleeve) as a good starting point. .

Assuming what you have is Japanese cotton it should be OK, you may have too much in there.

12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I'd try the vodka soak and brush...if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, use that instead of the vodka soak and/or dry burn.

13. Jimmy G

Double dry burnt and it's better but not quite clean... next stop Watsons for some better cotton and the offy for some Vodka. Thanks for the advise guys.

14. Rick O-Shea

You won't get it looking clean and shiny like a new coil but all gunk should have been removed with a couple of generous pulses.

15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Here's a pic...

upload_2015-8-5_18-45-50.png

Neilly and Rick O-Shea like this.