1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Iclear 30 coil finished in a week?

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by David in Bangkok, Jan 5, 2015.

1. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I bought the MVP 2.0 with an iclear 30 exactly one week ago. I bought other clearomizers, but I've mostly been using this head with some sweet MBV juice.

Since about yesterday I've been getting a burnt taste already, the flavor is just about done on it. I've read about this online, and I am pretty sure I can clean it and hopefully get a bit more life out of it, but it seems like most people really just replace the head. Is one week and 10ml of juice about right for needing a replacement on these?
    It seems a bit short, but I could have done something wrong (maybe I vaped too quickly and burnt the wicks?). I am curious what lifespan (maybe amount of juice is a better measure than time since most people don't vape only one clearomizer at a time usually) you get from your iclear if you use one. Are Kanger/Aspire supposed to last longer or do they just work better and need to be replaced in about the same time?

It's not the most expensive thing in the world at 70B for a new head, but I wasn't vaping THAT much, I think 10ml in a week is not a lot at all. Hopefully this was just me being a newbie and possibly just chain vaping or something, but I don't know.
    What is interesting too is that on my old cartomizers usually the flavor would die at about the same time the vapor production drastically declined. With this though, the flavor is pretty poor and burnt tasting, but to be honest, if you really needed the nic and didn't mind a poor flavor, it's still producing good vapor, it's just not tasting right.

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I've never used an iClear 30 but with the older Aspire BDC coils, I used to get somewhere between 1-2 weeks worth of use before they went south (never monitored the juice quantity)...was using them in Aspire ET-S & Anyvape Davide clearos. Now, with the new Aspire BVC coils in the Nautilus and the N-Minis, I get up to 2 months of use (and maybe 50-60 mls of juice) before they need replacing. I've found that the coils tend to last longer with lighter colored juices, but GLV Sour Bomba (lemon flavor) eats through coils in about 2 weeks (could be the citric acid)..as always, YMMV.

PattsVaper and David in Bangkok like this.
  3. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

PattsVaper and David in Bangkok like this.
  4. pierdon
    Relaxed

pierdon Well-Known Member

Hi David,

i had the same order (MVP2 + Iclear30) about 2 months ago. My Iclear coil lasted at least 3 weeks (i'd guess 40-50 ml) before i had a noticeable lost of taste.

I've rebuild it with a single coil and it's working great (except my silica was old and then tasted like crap... but... other story)...

David in Bangkok likes this.
  5. David in Bangkok

I don't want to rebuild but I would be happy with 40-50ml before the burnt taste.

It could be that I like sweet strong flavored juices and this was strawberry shortcake from MBV and it could possibly gunk it up quickly, but I am not sure. Could be my vaping style since I usually probably vape too quickly, maybe I'll try to slow it down a little and see if that extends the life. I'm not vaping on any high voltage or anything either, I'm not sure why it needs to be cleaned so quickly.

I've heard that cleaning it will really stretch out the life, thanks for the link. I'm going to give cleaning a shot shortly, I am a little afraid as when cleaning my old cartomizers about 75% of the time it was the same or worse after a clean anyways, I'm hoping this one comes out a little better.
    **Updated**
    You get 2 months without a clean?? I have a mini Kanger and Aspire, I'm going to try to get better juice in them and give them a better try, that would be worth the upgrade. I have been using cheap-end juices that I had from a while back in them now and I think the juices are performing poorly, so I can't really compare them yet.

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yep...I never clean them as I've never had any luck doing that. @PattsVaper has a method whereby he rotates coils every week...soaks the old ones in vodka (twice I think) and rinses in hot water and then lets air dry.

He also suggests ramping up the power on a new coil for the first usage...for the Nautilus BVC coils, he suggests ~8-8.5 watts for the first four vapes or so, then ~9-9.5 watts for the next four before finally moving to 10.5-11 watts (which is my sweet spot). I do this for new coils...

7. David in Bangkok

I haven't had tons of luck either, but it's worth a shot I guess, worst thing is I just have to replace the heads. I did hear about the soaking method although I don't know which one is really preferable, I used to always do the dry burns, but it seems to be a pretty big split as to how to clean them, I don't know that one is better than the other though.
    I might try the soaking method one of these days, I just don't have vodka lying around and it is obviously much quicker to just rinse and dry fire a few times.
    I thought I would have more time before I needed to replace heads, I think I will go stock up on replaceable coils really soon.

As far as the ramped up wattage, is that for sub ohm? My Kanger is 1.8 ohms I believe, and I vape them at fairly low wattage, I was under the impression that about 8 watts was the limit for this resistance?
    I am still playing with the variable voltage/wattage and definitely haven't found my sweet spot, but I will keep that in mind before trying higher wattages next time, easy to do anyways.

8. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

True, but you won't want to dry burn the BVC coils due to the ceramic fiber wicking material...
    My BVC coils are all 1.8 ohms so no sub-ohming is involved. They take a higher wattage than the older BDC coils...my sweet spot is around 10.5-11 watts but they can go as high as 13-14 watts or so before you start getting burnt hits. On the older Aspire BDC coils, anything over about 8.5-9 watts produced burnt hits...YMMV

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  9. David in Bangkok

I am pretty terrible with understanding the electrical issues, I thought that was supposed to be a hard rule, I didn't realize that certain coils took higher wattage better.

I will have to look up how to clean those coils, I want to change the juice in the Aspire K1 and I will have to clean out the old flavor, I will have to look up a video. The iclear is the one that people recommend to dry burn, at least now I know I need to watch some videos before cleaning the other brands.

10. pierdon
    Relaxed

pierdon Well-Known Member

are you talking about those ones ?

[​IMG]

If so, that would explain the burn taste i have experienced above 9 watts indeed... But low vapor production under that though...

11. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

I use both the iClear 30 and 30 S. And I can easily go a month without problems now. Remember That both the Iclear 30 and 30 S tanks have coils with a long wick because they have topcoils where the Aspire and Kanger are buttom coils. So We get no help from gravity when we use these tanks. I have found that when especially with thicker juice, I had to hold the tank upside down or make some rolling movements to help the coil get some juice to the top of the coil, mostly when the tank is under half full. And yes a to fast quick draw might just net the coil in trouble not being able to transport enough juice to the top.

David in Bangkok and Siam Diesel like this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yes...if they're the older BDC coils for the Nautilus (there's no SS screen over the wicking material at the top).

pierdon likes this.
  13. David in Bangkok

I guess being so new to this and not really knowing what I'm doing I might have been doing something wrong (of course it could have also been poor luck who knows.

But I had the iclear 30, not the S, maybe I should give that one a try as it seems to be an improvement. I would not use these much longer though if it keeps happening, they're cheap and they worked really well, but the flavor just went out on me too quick.

I actually tried to wash this one, I rinsed it, dried the bottom piece and atomizer, screwed it on to dry burn and it won't even fire up....I don't really know what happened as I didn't even rinse it that well (I plan to use the same flavor). I never was good at cleaning atomizers since I started, I hope I have better luck on the next one. I know people get a lot of life out of cleaning their equipment, but I always seem to have problems, not really with killing it, but usually the flavor or amount of vapor is terrible after I clean anyways, although these are much better built than the ones I've had experience with, so I'll keep trying!
    **Updated**
    UPDATE: It's just not idiot proof and I screwed it in wrong, I didn't think that was possible, but if there's a way to do it wrong, I'll somehow end up there. Probably lucky it didn't fire screwed in wrong, but it's working now.

I actually found an almost finished bottle of vodka and decided to give it a soak too.

The wicks are falling out a bit, not sure if I should just let it go with less wicks or try to sort of stuf the ones that fell off in there, hopefully 14 wicks instead of 16 will still be ok, but I don't have high hopes for this atomizer working like new again anyways really.

14. vVvapor
    Nerdy

vVvapor Well-Known Member

If you're going to get a new tank anyway, just get rid of that iclear and grab yourself a nautilus

Siam Diesel likes this.
  15. David in Bangkok

Unfortunately I just didn't know what I was doing and went for Kanger just because that was what was available, and I didn't want to go buy a new tank yet.

I think the iclear works REALLY well until it quickly doesn't then you have a poor performing coil or you have to replace it fairly quickly I guess.
    Now I have been using the Kanger mini pro tank 3 and the Aspire K1, and they're both pretty good, but nothing amazing, just very good for a tank I think.

Now I am leaning towards getting on the drippers because I think the tanks are better left for time when I can't be using a dripper..

But one of these days I need to try the Nautilus and see what the hype is about :)