1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

I want to buy a second handed camera

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by JohnKalasin, Jun 19, 2016.

1. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

JohnKalasin Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I want to buy a second handed camera like Nicon d700 I have no experience in cameras. I don't know how much it would cost me.. Except the ones I seen in central plaza starting at 25000THB. I just want a good camera with a big lens that I can take with me when I travel, that can do close ups and zoom without loosing quality on the photos. Anyone have any recommendations on which camera that will do the job?

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  2. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

It all goes down to the price you want to pay and how compact you need it to be.

Something like the Panasonic FZ200 will do a great job for an affordable price (around 300 Euros).

If you want to be able to swap the lenses like on a d700 or cannon equivalent be prepared to pay more (especially for the lenses).

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  3. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

Wasn't sure whether this was a classified "wanted, cheap camera", or whether you were asking for advice on what's a good camera, within your needs.

So if it's the prior, I can't advise on second hand camera market in Thailand, and I don't have a camera to sell you. If it's the later, then, these days you can get some pretty good shots on a smartphone, iphone et al. For a complete amateur like you, that would be my advice.

Image quality then comes (mostly) from the sensor size, DLSR cameras (aka "mirrorless") of some description will usually produce superior results. If compact nature and low weight is required for travel, with interchangeable lens possibility, then consider :

Canon EOS M range
    Sony Alpha A, 5 and 6 K range
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
    Olympus PEN E-PL6, OM-D E-M1
    Leica M
    Olympus OM-D E-M1
    Fujifilm X-T1
    Nikon J Range (small sensor, so last on the list)

At least half of these are sub 25000THB, Olympus PEN is $299 in USA for instance, Sony entry model is £250 in UK. Usually the lens included account for most shooting scenarios.

Personally I've never bought a camera in Thailand, as they just seem to hike the price up too high, way beyond what I can buy for back home.

With a second hand camera, you don't know how much use it's had, whether lenses have been properly cared for etc, so personally, as decent compact DSLRs are relatively cheap to start off with I'd probably never buy a second hand camera, unless it was hugely discounted and I really wanted that particular camera.

Add Adobe photoshop or similar for post-processing. Job done.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  4. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

Its in the lounge. I rather pay 25000thb for a good camera then 25 k for a good smart phone...
    Better to buy something cheap in the category newbie then going all inn and paying 25k for the lens only.

But thanks for ur comment gonna look em up

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  5. Scuba Vaper

Aware of that, and already said I can't help you on that, classifieds here I think is for vape gear only (I think) anyway. Was actually trying to save you money regarding smartphone, but up to you John, makes no difference to me either way.

If you're serious about taking pro or semi-pro photos, then it can be done on a budget, but would recommend a lot of time on research first. Also, go to the shop, pick it up, look at it, does it feel well built or crappy/plasticy etc, helps separate the wheat from the chaff. Sony worked out great for me, many people have/do praise my photos, although they used to when I was using my iphone, which is a lot more convenient than carrying a camera, lenses, batteries etc. Also post-processing can help turn a shit shot into something quite decent. With a good camera you should be (hopefully) doing less post-processing, but a very handy skill to learn anyway, most serious photographers do know how to do it.

I paid less than 12500THB in UK for my basic setup, brand new with manufacturer's guarantee, and I've included in the models list above.

You're welcome, hope you find something decent that you like, you have some choices now to start your new hobby.

6. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

Thanks for the effort

Edit:
    Im going for the Panasonic FZ200... Can't go wrong on that one. And the price is suitable newbie or semi pro 55..

I did about 200 hours on adobe photoshop tutorials and web design a few years ago so that might come in handy..

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Scuba Vaper likes this.
  7. Scuba Vaper

Sounds like you're all set then, good luck with that.

JohnKalasin likes this.
  8. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Glad my advice was a good one, I think you won't be disapointed with thie one :)

JohnKalasin likes this.
  9. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

I did the same with Photoshop and Premiere Pro. Didn't use it for a few years and almost feel like I'm starting over every time I use one or the other. Hope your memory is better than mine.