1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

How to build 200w coils?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Scuba Vaper, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Thread Starter Open Water Scuva Instructor

Dunno whether this been asked before. It's an experiment for me, I don't think 20ft clouds realistically I'll be wanting to vape day in.

Build deck probably needs to be large, so I have either baal v2 or tebeco velocity clones. Dunno whether it'd fit in the griffin ...

I have a ud box that has 26g kanthal, ni200, nichrome, ss316l plus Clapton kanthal 26g/32g and triple twisted kanthal 28g

Also have 1m or less of nichrome 0.2, kanthal 28g, 26g, 24g and 22g

From research it seems that ohmage would need to be tuned to keep voltage down, one place recommending around 0.25 ohms. Apparently kanthal resistance goes up quite quickly, so nichrome or ni200 might be the way to go, as they have lower resistance.

The mod is rx200 ... Anyone done this before, what do you recommend ?

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

3. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

You can make a 200 watt coil out of any wire. The question is how long will it last and how safe is it. Ni200 is TC only wire. Hit it with 200 watts and it will melt almost immediately and release some nasty byproducts in the process. Out of the wire you have, the closest would be the 26/32 Clapton. Still don't think it would last a long time at that wattage. Dual core 24/32 Claptons should be up to the job. Wicking will be extremely important and you will need massive airflow. Good luck and I hope you like it hot.

etlava, Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

+1 You will need to rrelearn your wicking as you experiment and go higher wattage.

Also for a coil taking that amount of power you need a very large coil, as in the amount of actual wire, so the coil doesn't get too hot and burn the wick. On 22g microcoils I could only get to around 130W before problems started. Personally I would consider a 22g core with maybe 28g wrap for a claptn or better look at heavy gauge fused clapton to get a bigger mass of wire needed to be heated.

You will need a BIG deck and post holes. Huge airflow and definitely a chuff cap for the atty used to just allow the air to pass the drip tip. Othewrwise it is quite possible to burn, or is scald a better word, the inside of your mouth, let alone burn you lips.

I chased that sort of heat for a few months but won't do it again, but for experimentation and learning it is quite good fun.

Don't go straight to 200W either go up gradually adjusting your wicking as you go and if you need to change your coils for something heavier.

If you want to just do a micro coil I would use 20g at least or even 18G Kanthal.
    **Updated**
    I should also add that most of the above is using a mech mod, which is obviously a different system.

Ghe ohms of your coil will also depend on your 200W mod. A 2 cell mod will only be able to reach 200W within a certain narrow ohm range to combine correctly with the voltage applied. BUT a 3 cell like a DNA200 or Wismec RX200 have voltage to spare and so are more of a true 200W device. Look at the specs for your mod and you may find the 200W ohm range indicated in the manual or the manufacturers site. If not you might be able to work it out from the specs available.

5. Scuba Vaper

The old ones are the best ones ;)

I've had a 26/32 Clapton single coil up to 50w quite happily, so perhaps dual parallels. To do the 24/32 I'd need some more 32g which I don't have right now, the outer wire ends up being quite long I think. Or maybe I can get 24/32 premade.

And thanks for correction on ni200, I'll cross that off the list.

Gradually perfecting my wicking, and yes I can see that a lot of airflow and flow of liquid to coil needed, helpful, TVM.

Thanks mate, you're a true legend.

Have read thoroughly and will include these factors :)

By micro coil do you mean small ID or non-spaced, seems to be differing definitions out there on web.

I think my rx200 tops out at 9v, with ohms law that'll mean there's an ohmage above which I start to get restricted on watts. For instance I tried a over ohm coil and rx200 wouldn't go over something like 76.7 watts.

Batts are Vtc5 which in parallel give total (maximum) of 90 amps @ 3.7 volts approx 330 watts, so theoretically can handle the stress.

And totally, I don't plan to build 200w on day 1, mostly interested in experimenting in that direction for learning, and honing my skills. Also interested to see how rx200 performs at high watt rates.

Siam Diesel and etlava like this.
  6. samui

samui Well-Known Member

Is the rx200 parallel batteries? Im thinking of getting one

etlava and Scuba Vaper like this.
  7. Scuba Vaper

Reading a couple of forums it seems series not parallel, hopefully someone will clarify further if this is wrong.

For the wattage approximation/guestimation, this remains the same as the amps would stay at 30, but the voltage would be tripled. So 30 amps x 11.1 volts = 330w, with vtc5's

To accommodate 25 amp batteries, I think they've limited it to 9v maximum, which for 200w is just over 22amps. Also may be cheaper/easier/more efficient to use step down, rather than step up technology, so everything stepped down from 11.1 volts. Plus I think lions on mods stop drawing at 3.5, which in series is 10.5 volts.

Apologies if any of the above is incorrect, just my educated guestimations :)

It's quite weighty in the hand with the three batteries installed, but most vapers would get at least a whole day or two on a single charge, so that's the upside. Plus we can at least play with higher wattage coil builds ... And at around 2500 baht, it's not that much more than dual or single 18650 budget regulated mods.
    **Updated**
    PS, I wondered if anyone here knows if one can strip the claptoning off Clapton wire where it goes into the terminal posts, or not ? (to allow for more coils to be mounted)

Siam Diesel, etlava and samui like this.
  8. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

RX200 is a series mod.

Wattage is dictated by Ohms volts and Amps. If you don't have a resistance you don't have a wattage calculation. Get on to an ohms law calculator before you start doing this high wattage stuff.

Micro coil is a contact coil up to around 3-3.5mm ID. I would go to a Macro coil, larger ID contact coil.
    **Updated**
    Just thought. It may be worth considering getting yourself a 26650 (or oversized) RDA for the extra room in the build deck.

9. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Batteries ran in series or parallel will not completely double the amp load per battery. 1.5X per battery in parallel is a safer assumption and 1.2X in series. The RX200 is run in series.

10. samui

samui Well-Known Member

I few clapons in that will go to 200 watts

11. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Should read 1.5X or 1.25X per extra battery. For example 3 30 amp batteries in parallel = 60 amps. 3 30 amp batteries in series = 45 amp. These estimates are on the safe side. When running in parallel the batteries will cross boost each other and can make up for a weaker battery. When running in series, you basically have a chain. One weak link and the chain will break. Regulated devices should account for these properties and should be able to safely go a little higher than these estimates. An unregulated device will not, however. In an unregulated device the higher voltage will significantly drop the amp load allowing a much higher wattage. For example, a 0.15 ohm build on a single (or any amount in parallel) 18650 should give you 117 watts and draw 28 amps. A 0.3 ohm build on an unregulated dual 18650 series mod will give you 235 watts at 28 amps. A 0.45 ohm build on an unregulated triple 18650 series mod will give you 352 watts at 28 amps. We are also talking continuous amp draw. Pulse ratings would be significantly higher.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  12. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

13. Lyss
    Bored

Lyss Well-Known Member

In fact any number of batteries connected in series gives you the maximum current = current of the weakest battery in the pack. In your case it will be 30A.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  14. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

You are correct. I was wrong on that one.

15. Scuba Vaper

Thanks for info, read and understood. I'm gonna work with what I have to start with. First build will be dual parallel claptons I think.

Theoretical amps calculated watts x amps, obviously that's at no load, so in practice the load will need to be considered too. More was just guesstimate of whether batts have theoretical capacity, or not. Obviously a moot point as joyetech will have already done those calculations, all I need to do is make sure correct batts.

I didn't know that about batts, so thanks for clarifying :)

That's an insane bad boy, so I'm gonna hold off ordering until I've maxed out my current rdas, if I still think I need more power !

Makes sense :)

Now that's a beast, added to future possible shopping list :)
    So if my reckoning of 9v max out of the rx200, then with vtc5's the maximum constant draw is only 180w ?